Superman: Casting Call!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

EXCLUSIVE: Casting Search For Superman Begins
    Read More!

Armie Hammer, Joe Manganiello & Ian Somerhalder get mentioned.

I say go with Joe Manganiello. :bolian:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ If they want a clean break from anything previously-made they better rule both of them out. :p

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Still doesn't feel right that Brandon didn't get a second chance. He's even bulked up a bit.

Routh doesn't have the swimmer/model frame anymore. He's like Tom Welling now.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm actually not caring so much about this now. Let's see if it's worth following when some things - casting, design, etc. - actually start to happen.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah. It does. Neither will get a chance. Probably neither HAD a chance.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It does rule out Welling, who is 33 and well-known. And for these purposes, Routh definitely qualifies as well-known. (Ironically, Routh, who played the adult Superman, is two and a half years younger than Welling, who plays the "boy" Clark Kent.)

Matt Bomer, whom I've thought would be a good choice, is also 33 (6 months shy of Welling's age), so if those numbers are strict, it seems he'd be ruled out too.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joe Manganiello is too craggy, Tyler Winklevoss is too Hermann Munstery, Ian Somerhalder is too petite and Armie Hammer would be wasted on a straight-up role like Supes. He'd make a much better villain.

Damn, I just thought of something! Armie Hammer should have been Anakin Skywalker in those dumb movies! :rommie:

8. Professor Zoom

I love how, Tyler Winklevoss, who is not an actor, is in "the running" for the OP as is the actor who played him, Armie Hammer.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

It is fucking fixed...happy...I misread it. :rolleyes:

I took Tom Welling & Brandon Routh out too.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

The existence of weblets and basic cable has certainly lowered the bar for use of the term "well-known." :lol:

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The key to casting Superman isn't casting Superman — it's casting Clark Kent.

12. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have yet to hear the name of an actor rumored by the media or proposed by the internet that I'd really like to see as Clark Kent/Superman.
    I don't have a name to propose myself, though I was with the crowd that wouldn't mind Routh returning.

I'm curious to see what they'll end up doing with this movie.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

^This.

So far, this project gives off a "pregnant elephant laboring to birth a mouse" vibe.

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Bring Back Routh.

15. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. Admiral Buzzkill

I'd love to see the revival of the Superman musical that's been put on at the Dallas Theatre Center. It looks like they've got a great take on how to handle the whole thing conceptually. This character really belongs to the 1930s.

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/149459...-cavenaugh-as-superman-this-summer-in-dallas/

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...Superman_27gd.ART.State.Edition1.2a0115c.html

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=11431768

Of course they talk about taking it to Broadway, but that's not likely.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the best thing I've read all week. :lol:

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

18. Professor Zoom

Breath. It's ok.

I know you really want Tom Welling to get a chance to play Superman in a movie, but you really need to accept the fact that is NOT going to happen. It just isn't.

I saw a reading of this earlier this spring. It's ok. There's a sense of humor about it. But at the time of the reading, it was way more camp than I think people will like. Well, maybe that's not true, it will be great family fun. Maybe. The songs are ok.

That said, I feel like it's in a weird way in competition with Tamor's Spiderman. I'm sure someone went: hey, Spiderman is coming to Broadway, we should redo the Superman musical... (There are clips of it on youtube. It had a TV version of it...)

19. Admiral Buzzkill

The TV version was cut down, very camp, and based on the original book from the '60s version of the musical.

The local CBS affiliate news here in the DC area used the overture from the musical as their theme for...decades, it seemed like.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUY84uW1J3o[/yt]

20. Professor Zoom

Yah. I can't believe they didn't have LEX in the original book... crazy.

Roberto did a good job of creating a new book. Lots of little nuggets here and there. A shout out to Billy Batson at one point. (If that stayed in...)

What I saw what as full reading of the book with music.