Star Trek Online Guidebook?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Psylent1, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Psylent1

Psylent1 Captain Captain

Is there any kind of guidebook for this game? A relative got it for me a couple years ago, but my computer couldn't run it.

But now with a new computer, I thought I would give it a try. But I don't have a clue what I am supposed to do?

I've completed missions and I don't even know what I did?

I am the one person who reads the instructions front to back before putting things together and I need an guide on how this game is played.

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

There are several guides online. Best thing to do is talk to other players and ask questions. It takes incredibly long to learn everything. but not knowing everything is not necessary to be successful at the game. Just take your time and don't rush it...
    learn it step by step.

3. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

4. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

You may also find STO Academy to be of use. Plus you can just ask lots of questions here, and we'll do our best to help.

5. j3067

j3067 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The other thing is that things are always being changed and tweaked in a game like this so manuals can become outdated very quickly. I just returned from a long break and got a little stuck when I hit the "B" key by accident last night :).

With all of that said there is a manual on the official website, but it is very general.

http://www.startrekonline.com/manual

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

As mentioned already, most guides are outdated. I use the wiki a lot. If you find a good fleet, they can provide a lot of good info. If you see me in game, I always try to answer questions. (@Rocketeer_7)

My suggestion for starting a new character:

1 - If you have any bonus items, pick them up before you fight the Borg (if possible).
    2 - Kill as many Borg and Borg ships as possible. You can pick up a few accolades and if you kill enough, you can get bonus ground and space passive skills.
    3 - Pick good Bridge Officers early. Look at thier passive skills or traits (the other skills can be retrained). Usually the rarity of the BO determines how useful it is, but I recently saw a common bridge officer with the Efficient skill. (A highly sought skill)