Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Haggis and tatties, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

So Fallout 3 GOTY edition(PS3) dropped through the door this morning, so at just after 12 i decided to stick it on to see how it looks and have a quick 10 mins of play...........then i glance back at the clock and 4 hours have just passed.:eek:

Its been a long time since a game did that.

Amazing.

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The game was okay, but not that amazing. In my opinion it is no where near as good as Mass Effect, though the music and radio channels were entertaining up to a point. Once I clocked it (its final mission is a piece of piss) I have never felt the urge to touch it again. Nor did any of the post-Anchorage expansions draw me back (though Anchorage made the game way easier as if you do it pretty much off the bat you're set for the rest of the game with great armour and very good weapons).

3. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I felt the complete opposite.
    Not only did I enjoy every minute of it and buy every bit of the DLC, I'd buy more if they made it.

Can't wait for Fallout: Vegas

4. Haggis and tatties

^^^Yeah its a fantastic game, i cant believe hours just whizz by while playing this game.

Right back to finding that metal ship for the little kid who lost his dad to those ants, poor kid.

5. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed Fallout 3 immensely. I won't touch sequels or New Vegas, but this one was WELL worth the effort ... unlike Oblivion and the usual Bethesda crappola.

6. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got a good laugh from this while doing one of Broken Steel's side quests today (terminal's located in the Museum Authority Building) :vulcan:

[​IMG]

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed Fallout 3 quite a bit. It makes me think "forget World Of Warcraft, I want an MMO in this world."

8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the lawsuit going on, the MMO is probably going to be in development hell for a while.

9. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Fallout 3 was great! I liked it much better than Mass Effect.

10. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fallout 3 is an incredible game, except the final mission. So do all that can be done in that world and go for the final mission after that.

11. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    The original poster has the Game of the Year edition with the new ending that allows play after the finale.

12. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh, I didn't know that the ending was changed for the GOTY edition. Smart move, because the original ending was probably one of the stupidest endings ever in video game industry.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

They didn't change it so much as just have the character (whichever one went inside) wake up a week or so later and continue the story. You still get the Ron Perlman voice over.

As for the comparisons to Mass Effect, granted I've only had it a few weeks (since Steam was giving it away for a fiver) but I think both games are quite evenly matched, with perhaps a few points away from MA for general, mild blandness and copy-paste environments (I'll never complain about FO3's metro tunnels again!) Both have less than perfect combat mechanics, NPC AI, a number of odd engine bugs and feature an engrossing world and story that on closer inspection turns out to be quite thin on revisitability (new word?)

Put a gun to my head though and I'd have to go with FO3 by a nose, if nothing else than for the sheer immersion factor...even if walking around the Citadel made me pine a little for a similarly conceived Babylon 5 game.

14. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love love love this game. . . I was just playing today and for me the replay value is immense. Especially on pc with all the mods you can get :)
    fo3 and oblivion are definitely on my top ten list

15. Haggis and tatties

What a fantastic game, its 1am and i have had to force myself off, who would have know searching for bobble-head would be so much fun, last time i sat on a game this long without getting bored was on Dungeon master on the Atari ST 520.

Truly fantastic game.

16. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just bought a new computer so I can finally play.

I love the open-endedness of the game. You could literally spent a hundred hours playing and still not find everything.

And the fact that you have karma and can make different ethical choices over the course of the game makes the replay value even better.

17. Haggis and tatties

My god this game is good, i just completed all the main game missions and have also done Mothership Zeta(They need to make a Fallout in space, no really they need to make one, that was fecking brilliant) and Point lookout, just The Outcasts, Anchorage and The Pitt and that's it, its been a hell of a long time since i stuck with a game for so long.

Best £20 i have spent in a long time.

18. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Stealth suit from Anchorage pretty much breaks the game. Maybe you can still be detected at low stealth, but when I used it along with a silenced weapon, I could shoot Super Mutants in the face and they wouldn't be able to find me. It was doubly broken once I got my companion, because I could just waltz through the game and have him do all the work for me. :lol:

19. Brandonv

Brandonv Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that Fallout 3 was a nice improvement over Bethesda's previous RPG, Oblivion. I tried to get into Oblivion several times, but the game never held my interest long enough for me to to finish the main story. With Fallout 3, I felt more like I was in a fully realized world, and I really liked exploring the wasteland and discovering what was over the next hill.

20. Haggis and tatties

Oh I'm all up for shooting mutants in the face, although i only have The Pitt left and that's it, all done.:(

But that was a great run, I love the plasma rifle and the Tesla armour, i just could not put it done yesterday, i looked up at the clock and its 4am in the morning...:eek:....what a game.

God i hope we have a Fallout 4 on the way, its up there with Mass effect and Uncharted as must have played games.