DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't know if I particularly care about the Forever People... of all those listed the only one that might be worth it is Booster Gold...

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want Sue Dibney back in the land of the living.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, I forgot about all about Ralph Dibney! We never got to see them as ghost detectives after the 52 weekly series!!!

5. Guy Gardener

Oh, that's right, Sue had a husband.

Some sort of Super hero I think?

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is still creative team rotations and other stuff planned for June and July that was originally reported for next months wave of books that was included in the Tako list that Bleeding Cool reported on a couple months ago. I'm sure we'll be starting to get announcements and stuff in the few weeks.

EDIT: Okay. I didn't realize that there was a new list...but it seems Tako has "corrected" 4Chan.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/03...cs-june-solicitations-batman-and-ras-al-ghul/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  7. Admiral_Young

8. Hound of UIster

No surprise there.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

10. Hound of UIster

None of these attempts at doing Captain Atom really were very good though. They were either attempts at trying to do him as Doctor Manhattan or tried to ignore his previous history and only tried to write him as a generic superhero or worse they tried to latch onto the failed idea from the 90s as Captain Atom as a futuristic tyrant that would kill all the superheroes..

11. Admiral_Young

12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that what bothers me the most about DC at the moment is that they start titles that obviously appeal to a specific audience and then dump them when the numbers don't pan out. Demon Knights, Amethyst, Dial H, Blackhawks, etc. are all examples of this. If DC is only interested in publishing books that sell to a large audience then they should stick to the core seven heroes then publish seven books for each of those heroes and be done with it.

We could have Aquaman and the Flash, The Rogues, Metropolis PD, Gotham Nights, Wonder Woman and Batgirl, Batman and the Outsiders, The Legion of Super-Pets, Aquaman's Fish Friends, and many other titles that have better chances of selling.

Honestly, I could care less about Larfleeze but I did care about several of the other titles that have been cancelled.

13. Hound of UIster

Your argument is ridiculous. They are clearly trying to appeal to multiple demographics. That is why they have stuff like Vibe, Amethyst and Dial H, but the fact remains if the numbers don't add up they can't keep on supporting these failing books. They are still a business at the end of the day. DC gave these books a chance, the market just wasn't responsive. It's not their fault.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

That is precisely the point. We all know that these are niche books. They are not going to appeal to the same type of audience that the bigger titles appeal to. If editorial makes the decision to produce them then it has to be with the expectation that they will sell fewer copies, otherwise don't even bother.

15. Guy Gardener

There's an absolute line.

Total costs - revenue = - $1 = cancellation

This is the line more more likely to be used.

Total costs - (revenue ≥ minimum acceptable level of profit) = - $1 = cancellation.

:)

A book that is going to sell weak but with a core audience they feel like treating kindly, can have lower costs by sourcing cheaper talent, and then higher revenue by charging more per book, and then by having a smaller minimum acceptable level of profit, simply by just expecting lass, even if that "less" is still a fixed number.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I compliment DC for taking chances and trying to give different stuff a chance. Sure most of those chances have failed, but I see taking chances on stuff like this as being better than just focusing on a small handful of characters.

17. Captain Craig

I was hoping DC would push more of their Milestone characters. Hardware is a character I think should've been given a shot. Static Shock is the only character they've really tried. Sure he found some minimal traction but even his series was only 7 issues.

18. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Hardware is redundant when you already have Steel, though it's not like DC is doing anything with Steel at the moment, either.

19. Hound of UIster

He is in Suicide Squad and Batman/Superman.

20. Captain Craig

True, probably toss in Cyborg as well for comparisons sake, at least he got to shine in JLA.
    Doesn't stop them from having Superman & Captain Marvel or Batman & Nightwing or 4 Green Lanterns

Still, I'd have sampled something from Milestone if they gave us more. I tried several titles I'd never tried before like I,Vampire, Animal Man and Amethest, committed to ones I'd only read a few of such as Resurrection Man. Someone besides Static Shock should've gotten an opportunity seeing as how so many Wildstorm concepts were given shots(and yes I know Lee's position in the company was likely the reason).