A good Frankenstein movie.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lookingglassman, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Wow you've been made me feel a bit bad for writting the book off last time I read it. Perhaps I shall look past Victors whinning angst and try and see the story next time I pick the book up. Too many Hollywood movies seems to have ruined my ability to actually read a book that isn't as deep as kiddies paddling pool and little more than an excuse for explosions and tities.

BTW loved burried Age Christopher ;)

Only joking, I did actually like it though

2. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The novel was the only Frankenstein I'm a fan of, though it's a trifle dry in places and nowhere near one of my favourite Gothic novels. The stuff with the monster is the strongest portion of the work, also.

It's just not as cinematic as some other works, though - Frankenstein is a very, very talky book, with a lot of internal monologues and a comparative lack of incident (while, say, The Italian and most Radcliffe novels would be jam-packed with intrigue and action).

Quite, but Burton's not above making the same film twice.

Anyway, Edward indicates he'd likely create a rather sympathetic and touching, tragic view of the Frankenstein monster, which I'd think would be fairly interesting to see. His acts of horror would likely become defanged or comical - even at full bloodletting tilt as in Sweeney Todd Burton is far too self-aware to ever really be creepy.

3. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Guillermo del Toro has stated his intention to make one with Doug Jones as the creature. I don't know how faithful he plans for it to be, but I'll be first in line to see it.

4. Kegg

It's del Toro. With Doug Jones in a costume.

It's bound to be at worst watchable and at best... labyrinthine.

Did I make a terrible joke? Why yes, I did.

5. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll put in my vote for Young Frankenstein & Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstein..

But if you must have a serious one, any of the Peter Cushing versions are pretty good (for e.g Curse of Frankenstein).

The 74/75 miniseries The True Story gave me nightmares as a child (the electrocution of Polidori on the mast of the ship) but I think if I rewatched it with modern eyes it would likely bore the pants off me..

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Perhaps its blasphemy, but I thought the fairly recent Frankenstein miniseries that starred Alec Newman (as the good doctor), William Hurt, and Donald Sutherland (among others) was a pretty faithful adaptation of the original book, even retaining the framing sequence often abandoned by most film versions.

Doesn't make it as fun as Brooks' Young Frankenstein, though.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely forgot that was on del Toro's post-Hobbit slate. I think he's also got a Jekyll and Hyde movie on tap.

The man has something like five movies lined up. Which means that we'll never get Hellboy III. Or my dream del Toro project, a Lankhmar movie. :(

8. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The best faithful adaptation I know of is the 2004 Hallmark Channel Frankenstein, with Alec Newman as Victor, William Hurt, Donald Sutherland (as Walton, which shows how faithful the miniseries was,) and, I think, Julie Delpy as Justine (again, striking evidence of how faithful the book is.)

Not only is Victor the villain, Victor is the villain because he does to his creation what the Christian God did to his, abandoned him to loneliness and ignorance and misery. Victor's renunciation (to Walton) of the value of knowledge has to be read in that context. Also, since Victor is basically committing suicide is it wise to take the "There Are Things Man Was Not Meant To Know" message at face value? I don't think the 1931 Frankenstein got the point, much less communicated it, as entertaining a movie it is.

There is a movie, Prototype, by the great writing team of Levinson and Link. It is a modernization of some of the novel's themes, rewriting Victor as a roboticist (Christopher Plummer) and the creature as a robot (David Morse.) Being a modern work, naturally it openly references Frankenstein. The robot correctly notes the movies are not serious, while the novel is. Prototype, incidentally, ironically has the creature redeeming the creator.

PS Didn't see Harvey's post above till double checking the typos.

Also, I forgot to add that Burton started his film career by doing Frankenstein, so to speak. I think it is his very first film, a short called Frankenweenie. It is about a dog being brought to life. It is highly referential to the 1931 movie, with the Frankendog (yes, it's a dachshund) meeting a fiery end at at minature golf course's windmll.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

No worries, stj. I'm not that knowledgable on Frankenstein in either the film or original novel form, so you have much more insight than I do. :)

10. Kegg

Unsurprisingly, the film is thematically very similar to Edward Scissorhands. I did like that picture, actually, it's a quirky little romp.

11. WiredPlanet

WiredPlanet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

there's a good one coming 2017...or so they say

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    This thread is one.
    On topic, Penny Dreadful makes great use of Dr Frankenstein and his creation.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^I've only see the first season so far but I thought Rory Kinnear was fantastic in the role of the creature.

14. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

No longer a short, he remade it into a longer movie. Or atleast produced it...

15. Gov Kodos

He was great and he is just as good if not better in the second.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Cool I'm hoping to see the second season soon

17. Gov Kodos

Also, Brona's story is much improved in the second season.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I just watched it a few weeks ago, after reading the original novel. The movie is pretty damn far from the book, and kind of silly. But hey, young Jane Seymour! :adore:

19. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

But even while it does go off the rails, it kept the central themes from the novel, so I can forgive it for veering off a bit.

And btw, as long as we're talking Frankenstein, I've been enjoying the Frankenstein part of the story from Penny Dreadful, which for the most part seems pretty faithful when not counting the collaborations with the other characters.

20. Gov Kodos

PD has done a good job of contrasting the Creature's pathos and rage especially towards Frankenstein. And Victor is also well done. Self-absorbed and self-pitying as well as obsessed with pursuing his research without considering consequences or acknowledging responsibility for his actions and results. The show has been very satisfying in capturing many of the themes from Frankenstein and other source materials.