To Boldly Go Where Many of Us Have Already Gone Repeatedly

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

I don't know about Torontoist, but I plan to go to the Science Center tonight, and so should other Toronto Trekkers:

To Boldly Go Where Many of Us Have Already Gone Repeatedly

Love how they put down Kirk...:rolleyes:

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I like the photo of that screen. I wish there had been someplace like that showing the movie which was close enough to where I live to make the trip doable.

If they'd been the first to make a crack like that, it would at least have been sorta original. Seeing as how TNG's writers beat them to it* by close to twenty years and did it better, eh, it's hardly worth an eyeroll.

Or was it the "Wilsonian" which you saw as a putdown?

* "Unification, Part 2" and referenced again in "Face of the Enemy"

3. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Yes, Kirk usually is not like that, and I'm tired of idiots using current American foreign policy to grade Star Trek with. That might work with BSG, but not with Star Trek. Also, what I said here in the original article applies:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  4. M'Sharak

In that case, the poke is not at Kirk at all, but rather at the sort of people:
    ...the sort of geeks who would conduct such debates on MSN. Besides, American foreign policy of the time (whether the overtones were Wilsonian or otherwise) did inform a number of stories told in the Original Series.

However, this is getting away from the main topic of the thread. Did you see the showing at the Ontario Science Center? How was it?

5. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, Kirk's foreign policy is hardly Wilsonian. James T. Kirk would never have favored invading and occupying lesser-developed planets in order to serve corporate interests as Wilson did.

6. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Exactly what I said above.

7. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Sorry, M'Sharak. I loved the experience, and will go back on Labor Day to see it again.

8. M'Sharak

Cool. :techman:

One of these days, I hope to take in a Star Trek movie in a theater like that one, but San Diego (the closest such theater to where I am) is a two- or three-hour trip, each way, and I'm not sure that Star Trek was even screened there. (From their current schedule, I suspect not.) I guess I'll have to look into it further and be ready for the next one.

9. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Better hurry up and do it soon; from the looks of what we have here in Toronto, it might not last long. So you might want to hurry yourself up and decide.