Feline Follies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alienesse, Feb 18, 2012.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Big yawn.

[​IMG]

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Basking in the morning sun.

[​IMG]

3. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Awww. That's a nice shot.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm loving these pictures of all of your adorable cats. I will post some of my own when I get home later.

I do have a question for you guys now...when I read cat food labels I am always shocked by the amount of food they want me to give my cat. I have two cats, one rather large (not fat, just large stature), and I don't deprive them of food, but there's no way they could possibly eat the amount that the cat food suggests. A little can of Fancy Feast said that I should "Feed an average size adult cat 1 can per 2-1/2 pounds of body weight daily." Seriously?!?! My cat is 14 pounds. I should be giving him like 5 cans a day?! He can't even finish one can in one sitting.

What do you guys think about these food labels?

5. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You just gotta' play it by ear.

"Cats 101" presented a story about an insanely huge cat (i forget the breed). Nothing seemed wrong other than his size. After nearly all avenues had been exhausted, the vet asked how much were they feeding the animal. It was no more than what was suggested by the package. He said try cutting it in half. Guess what? The cat started losing weight, but not so fast as to cause other medical issues. So they continued to follow that regiment.

So, at least in some cases, not all, but some, those package estimates are excessive. If your cat doesn't want to eat that much, but is otherwise healthy, I wouldn't force it upon them. But let your vet be the proper judge on these matters. I have no training or pets, so what do i know? ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

6. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

When I had my cats, I gave them each one teaspoon of canned food in the morning, and a bowl of dry food (Meow Mix) to graze at the rest of the day.

The vet said I gave them too much dry food, but, when I had gotten them, they were both starving, so I had a problem cutting back the Meow Mix. I finally just used a smaller cereal bowl; that trick worked...:D

They saw a filled bowl and thought it was the same amount.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My cat knows when she's hungry. I've never even looked at a serving label.

8. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I used to just leave dry food out all the time but he started getting kind of fatty so I've just started my cat on a diet. I'm going to see what happens over the next few weeks and adjust based on that, plus a visit to the vet at some point.

9. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely use my own judgment on this and I'm not too worried about what's "right," it's just shocking to me that the label suggests that much. I mean, that's literally 5 times what I feed my cat in a day. Who the hell comes up with those numbers? I know they want us to spend money on more cat food, but geez that's really pushing it.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I do the same. Luckily, my cat is such a spoiled princess that once she eats from a bowl, she won't go back and eat from the same bowl unless I put brand new food in it.

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Seriously? Wow. Mine is so low-maintenance compared to a lot of cats, I think. He's a real trooper about the litterbox too, which is very appreciated.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Oh yes. I'm not even allowed to start my day until I turn on the faucet in the bathroom so that she can have her morning drink.

I once changed food on her from the orange bag of Friskies to the purple bag of Friskies, and she repaid me by peeing on all of my furniture for 3 weeks until I figured out what I did wrong.

13. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

The canned food has more protein than dry so you can feed them more. The dry is full of carbs and fillers it is worse for the cat. That said we have 3 cats, 2 that are at or below ideal weight and 1 porker. When you have multiple cats it is hard to regulate what they eat. 2 of ours graze while the porker scarfs the food down and then checks the other bowls.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I measure out the appropriate amount of dry food for my cats once a day and that's all they get until the same time next day.

15. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

When Casey was around, she would let me know when she was hungry. She would insist on her canned food some days, but other days wanted nothing but her dry food. Toward the end, she didn't eat quite as much as she had when I'd started her on her thyroid meds.

16. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our Phantom, in a rare calm moment. Yeah, he's not fooling anyone, especially the fish!
    [​IMG]

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Nice photo. I love black kitties with their eyes closed!

I feed my two cats Evo -- I think it's the only dry food that doesn't contain grain. But even with that, I don't feed them nearly as much as the bag says. And I give them a set amount twice a day.

18. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I just keep the bowl filled. The damned beagle always finds a way to climb and eat the cat's food :lol:

19. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^ :lol: That reminds me of when Casey was little and we had a standard poodle named Annabelle. Annabelle would clean up what Casey hadn't eaten. I'd find a can of cat food in the living room!

20. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm pretty sure beagles can fly, or at least levitate.

(But only when no one's looking.)