MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I really just want to know what the hell the Cubs management team is smoking to justify giving Castro anything at all.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That article is kind of silly, though. Rube is the senior vice president and general manager of the Phillies -- he sets the tone. It's as simple as that.

My hunch has always been that Epstein and Hoyer felt they were locking down a cost-controlled young shortstop who hadn't yet been totally exposed as a knucklehead with no sense for the strike zone, with the hopes of flipping him for genuine assets (to a moron like Rube, for example). The move has clearly backfired, however.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

In good organizations, that's true. However, the Phillies have been known in the past to have key decisions made by box office people or marketing people as well. Chase Utley bobbleheads attract crowds, so it makes sense to give him an extension. Things like that.

Certainly, Amaro has been terrible for us. I'm just not convinced we would do better with a replacement without a change in organizational thinking unless the replacement is something with such a strong track record that he could command the influence to overrule the other players making these decisions.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

The Angels have shut down Albert Pujols for the remainder of the season, because his plantar fasciitis is getting out of control.

Oh, what's that I said about signing Pujols to a long-term contract?

Whatup. :cool:

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

You nailed it. This contract will easily surpass A-Rod's as one of the worst decisions of all time. At least the Yankees got some production out of A-Rod in the early years of his contract. Pujols is in his second year and has come nowhere near his productivity from St. Louis.

I'm interested to see how the Joey Votto contract plays out. I'm also curious about the kind of deal that Robinson Cano is going to try to get.

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Whatever team ponies up $30M/year for 8-10 years for Cano is out of their mind.

His numbers are solid but not earth shattering, he dogs it out there too often, and do you really want a 39 year old 2B whose range is shot. I will give him credit for being durable though.

This screams Dodgers or Angels to me. Maybe back to NY if they go full blown panic mode this offseason.

7. Use of Time

Baseball still can't get fines and suspensions right. Apparently Girardi had a higher fine than Dempster because you know...arguing about the deed is somehow worse than commiting the deed. That and Dempster may not even miss a start during his "5 game suspension."

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well Girardi did go nuts during that game. I like Dempster a lot, and think A-Rod is a jerk, but yeah... he made his point with that first pitch. Throwing three more inside until he finally hits him is excessive. I think the Umps did the right thing by warning both benches though, because sure enough they Yanks would've been throwing at them next inning. A ten game suspension for Dempster would've been in order. At least he would've missed a start. He's just going to get his next start pushed back a day now.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever seen any human being as angry as Girardi was (and, IMHO, it was completely justified). This put George Brett (the Pine Tar Game) to shame.

As for Dempster: The suspension has absolutely no teeth. He won't suffer any kind of penalty. He gets paid, he won't miss a start, and the team will surely pay the fine. @#(%* him. (FWIW, as much as I love the Yankees, I don't particularly like A-Rod either.)

10. Use of Time

And Heyward will most 4-6 weeks with a broken jaw after eating a Jon Niese fastball this afternoon. Shit. I know they will have him back for the playoffs but he was finally on a role after being moved to the leadoff role. The Braves are dropping like flies. Pastornicky went down for the season last week. Looks like Jordan Schafer is going to get some playing time.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Jayson Nix fractured left hand. Le sigh.

(yeah, I know they have Nunez at short, but still. :sigh: )

12. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Oy! It's like anyone that gets hot gets cooled off by injury. Grr! Whoever has come up from Gwinnett hasn't been bad. Uggs should be back soon

13. Use of Time

Hopefully he can see breaking balls now.

14. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

The Votto contract will be a boat anchor on the Reds the last 6-8 years of the deal, no way should a team give anyone a 12 year deal :wtf:

15. Use of Time

Man I don't like seeing Atlanta get shut down like that but Adam Wainwright is really fun to watch.

16. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej...rves_another_season_in_jays_dugout_kelly.html

The above is another example of how the Toronto media continues to coddle Jays manager John Gibbons, even as they are being spanked by the worst team in baseball in Houston on consecutive nights.

Many of them, including those employed by Rogers Sportsnet, coincidentally the team owner's channel, is saying "Oh, he's not playing on the field, it isn't his fault." But this team can't do anything right fundamentally. They can't hit, bunt, field. All it seems they can do is stupid celebrations. I'll give you an example: last night, Jose Bautista is in the dugout, he's injured, the team down by five plus runs, and he's fuckin' clowing around. If you are the leader of this team and they can't pull their head out of their asses against a team that is in a massive tear down stage of a rebuild, why aren't you on top of them on every mistake? Trying to coach them on their mistakes like a real leader would, because the coaching staff sure as hell isn't.

This team is trotted out as "Canada's Team." The team owners, Rogers, have them in commercials promoting their Cable and other services and having them do multiple stingers that make the players look like idiots. They are brought out again and again to do stupid interviews and skits with the local media, but you never see them actually practicing or trying to fix what is wrong. And when you have a manager that says "Oh shucks, well, I guess we'll get them next time" after a loss, it's just the cherry on top of the sundae.

People complain about the NHL's Maple Leafs not putting a winning product on the ice, but I think the Jays owners thought they'd be able to coast through this season, raking in the dough by saying "Oh look we brought in Reyes, Dickey, Johnson..." I haven't attended a game all year and wouldn't, if not for a friend's birthday party next weekend.

These players have the potential, they have the skill. What they need is someone who is going to hold them accountable to actually use that skill. Fire Gibbons now and start righting this ship now!

17. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Who do you think should take Gibbons' place?

18. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Earlier in the year, I had said DeMarlo Hale, but I really don't know anything about him except that he has been sitting next to Gibbons during this train wreck.

I don't know enough about names to say Charlie Manuel or whomever, but this team needs a manager that can teach, but also hold players accountable when they do stupid things.

At this point, I think the only coach you can keep is Pat Hentgen in the bullpen and it's not just some nostaglic ex-Blue Jay thing. The bullpen was the only thing going right for the Jays all year and the only reason it's fallen apart is because they are coming in the third inning of most games.

19. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Are Bryan Adams or Corey Hart busy?

20. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Mike Holmes, he'll Make It Right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.