Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course Sony could listen to him, but Rami got really tired of their interference (and probably of listening to Arad all the time) and decided to leave. This stuff happens all the time, look at what happened between Favearu and Marvel Studios, practically the same thing.

I'm a fan of the original trilogy, especially the first two films, but even they have their flaws and are not perfect movies. People have pointed out their issues with them all through this thread and in the original Spider-Man 4 thread we had as well. I've read what was reported to be a treatment for 4 and it was horrible. I was already pretty hesitant about that film despite the casting it had. Sony decided to reboot because again, they have to keep on putting out films in order to retain the rights, they are very aware that Disney/Marvel is chomping at the bit to reacquire their flag ship character. They also know the fan demand is there as well to see what Marvel Studios could do with Spider-Man. I was at first totally against the notion of a reboot so soon, but eventually have changed my mind. Maybe I won't like the film after I see it, or maybe I will love it. I don't know. To this point though I've been impressed with what I have seen and heard and read from everyone involved. I'm at least willing to give it a chance.

2. Ian Keldon

Ian Keldon Fleet Captain

^Fair points all, Admiral...all I'm saying is that, with only the trailer to go on, I'm not sold on this film. This Peter Parker just doesn't work for me in the scenes included, in or out of costume. I prefer Toby's Spidey, or maybe Josh Keaton's (Spectacular Spider-Man animated series).

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This.
    Sony was the one using the bully stick.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Three was just terrible. There's pretty much nothing redeemable about it. The biggest issues are the "emo Spidey" scenes, Venom was very, very, poorly done. The Saturday Night Fever Strut, the "musical" scene in the diner, fuck pretty much anytime the symbiont suit is making Peter act like a smug jackass instead of tormenting the very core of his soul.

And don't even get me started on the whole "We need to set-up the last act/action piece but we've no time to do it so we'll just have the "Exposition News Channel" do it. Oh and the butler just decides after years of knowing it to fill Harry in on how his father died. Which, of course, causes Harry to instantly change all of his feelings and motives, things that have driven him for years.

Ugh, that movie is just so terrible on so many levels. It makes not a single damn lick of sense. Not one iota of it.

5. Captain Craig

You realize all this was Sony's fault. They and Arad forced Venom on Raimi. He had to make due with what he had. If it looks forced, uncertain and terrible it's cause his heart really wasn't into the character(imo).

The same Sony who didn't want Raimi to use Lizard, now allows Webb to do so.
    The Sony who wanted to force Raimi to turn the Vulture into the Vultress for the sole rationale of having a female lead. Seeing a pattern here for where the bad ideas are coming from?

6. Admiral_Young

My main point about Sony and Rami is that "leaving it with Rami" was never going to be an option. The two sides had butted heads essentially since "Spider-Man 2". Rami got tired of their constant interference and left (or was fired not sure what the specifics were). Sony as the rights holder dictates the direction of the film really. Same as Marvel Studios has been doing with their vision. There was also not an option to "rest the franchise" since they can not do that.

I don't blame Rami at all for being frustrated with the studio interference. I'm actually curious to see how much influence they have had over Marc Webb. He's probably had Avi in his ear as well barking about this and that.

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

People need to let go. Raimi's gone, get over it :p

It's not like he's the only guy in the world who can make a Spider-Man film. I'm looking forward to a fresh take. We got two excellent films and one decentish (I don't dislike 3 as much as others do, but it's still a step down from 1&2) from Raimi, now we have a chance to see what someone else can do. Even if it's crap (which I'm confident it won't be) there will be another film along in a few years anyway ;)

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I love the first two Raimi Spider-Man movies (I saw three once in theaters, and TBH I have thought about giving another try), the more I see of TASM, the more I start to think this one might end up better than either of them.

9. AcousticKoi

AcousticKoi Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'ts going to be great! I can't wait to see it.

10. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

11. Admiral_Young

I'll grant that it is amusing that he is trying to convey to us the difference between the spider bite. We already got a different spider bite in Rami's film, the genetically altered spider, which of course was taken from "Ultimate Spider-Man". I wonder if Webb is planning on using the Oz formula in this film which should be interesting. I have stated from the start that this film is going to be heavily influenced by Ultimate Spider-Man and from the footage I've seen in the trailers and clips so far it seems like the case. I do like the fact that Gwen is working as a lab assistant at OsCorp (probably a homage to Spectacular Spider-Man where she was an assistant to the Conners).

12. Captain Craig

^^^
    That doesn't color me impressed. He's bit by a spider, radioactive or not. Just invoking Bay's Turtles comments doesn't lead that to being taken well.

13. Admiral_Young

Webb didn't mention Bay's Ninja Turtles, the article did as it was attempting to compare the two. The site was saying that the film could have Spider-Man fans in an argument over the nature of the spider bite just as the changes in "Ninja Turtles" have had that fandom in an uproar.

Webb was saying there was no difference in what type of spider bites people as long as it is a Spider. Also I didn't see it before but the article confirms that the origin along with what I believe will be other plot elements will be explored over the course of the trilogy, which is another thing we didn't really get in Rami's films. They had core themes that carried over into each film, but not really a over arcing plot of any kind.

This is pretty cool.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/04/09/donald-glover-spider-man-easter-egg/

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

No magazine fold

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Amazing Spider-Man" Debuts New Theatrical Poster: a new poster for director Marc Webb's Columbia Pictures franchise reboot has surfaced on AddictoMovie that puts the high-swinging wall-crawler, and his web-shooters, front and center.

[​IMG]

"He is back and it will be amazing"?

That's the tagline now?

Seriously?

It is interesting largely only because it seems to signal ("He is back" replacing "untold" story) that Sony has perhaps decided that maybe no one wants a remake of a ten year old superhero film and they had better try marketing it as another sequel.

17. Captaindemotion

18. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

But it's not a remake of a film it's another adaptation of the comics...

19. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Technically, you are correct. However, for all intents and purposes it might as well be treated as a remake.

20. Captaindemotion

^ Yeah, I don't see Joe Public making the distinction.