Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Seriously. Anyone who didn't expect this from FF 600 way back when they started to promote the "Three" storyline is either new to comics or hasn't been paying very close attention.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

^Marvel had a bigger policy recently of keeping people dead for longer periods as we say with the casualties of Disassembled.

It's pity that with Quesada no longer around to enforce discipline they revert to type.

Then Hickman clearly shouldn't have had the funeral and the wake if he had never intended to kill him. That entire issue was a big neon sign stating that the Human Torch was dead. The fact that he didn't die is an enormous cop-out.

3. Turtletrekker

The critics love Fantastic Four 600. On top of Comic Vine's 5-star review, Newsarama gives it 10 out of 10.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That's 'cause it was awesome. Again House of UIster they assumed that Johnny had died and carried on as such. There was no way to find out if he was alive or not at the time. They reacted the way anyone would under the circumstances. The story wasn't intended be the death of Johnny Storm. If it was then Hickman would have killed him and we'd have got a body and everything. Johnny was "lost" or more accurately as I stated assumed dead. Not sure why you're having this much trouble comprehending this. If you didn't like it that's all well and good but Johnny was never meant to die and no one really thought he did die. Again there was no cop out but whatever. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Also you want Joe Q and his tyrannical decisions and policies back? No thanks.

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

As I flipped through the issue on the stand the only line that I still recall is:
    "Pete, what are you wearing?"

6. Admiral_Young

^ Best line in the book :) Basically translated "Peter WTF did Reed make you guys wear?" LOL

7. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Whatever his shortcoming. Quesada was able to instill a modicum of editorial and writer discipline. Under him, "change" actually meant something not something to be swept away like we saw with most of Fear Itself the moment it ended and the same was true for deaths.

This story would never have passed muster under him.

8. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

no body means he wasn't dead to begin with. thats pretty much a standard rule in any work of fiction.

9. Turtletrekker

Uhm, whaaa--? How about the death of Captain America?

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How is it a cop out when it was pretty obvious from the "death" issue that Johnny was never dead to begin with?

11. Admiral_Young

^ Exactly the point I've been making. We could really argue this forever (no pun intended) but I think the point has been well made already.

12. Turtletrekker

Although, perhaps it should be pointed out that Johnny DID die. Several times.

13. Turtletrekker

My other Marvel purchases for the week included Generation Hope #13, which was actually a hold-over from the previous week. I dropped the book after Keiron Gillen left, but found that I missed the characters, so I picked up the issue I missed and put it back on "pull". Kenji stole the show with his interactions with Magneto and Martha and I love Teon identifying Namor as the new "Alpha" and Cyclops' reaction to that.

Captain America and Bucky #624 wrapped up the flashback arc that it is now painfully obvious was only meant to fill space while Bucky was "dead" during Fear Itself. That said, it was a touching ending as we find out who Bucky has been narrating his life story to-- his little sister Becca, who is now in a home for Alzheimer sufferers. Bucky had to see her and tell her where he had been all of this time, even though she wouldn't remember it.

Alpha Flight 6-- I love Alpha Flight. It's a shame that this book fell victim to Marvel's editorial downsizing as it's been fun. Normally, I'm sick of Wolverine showing up everywhere, but it's a natural fit here and I'm looking forward to next issue.

Daken: Dark Wolverine 17-- Now this book I'm glad to see fall victim to Marvel's editorial downsizing. I hate this guy with a passion. I only bought it for the return of the Runaways, whom which I love. Sadly, the Runaways don't show up until the last two pages. I'm looking forward to their greater involvement in the next issue and dropping the book like a rock once the arc is finished.

14. Admiral_Young

15. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been thinking of ordering one or two titles from Marvel, but I really do not have so much experience of the recent comics( in the past I did read X-Men, FF and even bit of Avengers..but that was in the 1990s and around 2003-2006).

The Secret Avengers seems quite interesting to me( Black Widow is in it and that is a huge plus for me), so my question is if its suitable for a "newbie" like me and is it stand alone enough to read without the other Avenger titles?:)

As for the second title..I am not sure.
    Been thinking of X-Men or FF..though I would not mind any suggestions you might have.
    Thank you on advance.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    I just commented in the DC thread about how I tried Daredevil. The comic is still fairly new, and I picked up issues #1-4 at my comic shop. It's really a lot of fun and a good starting point, too. While I have been collecting comics for the past 10 years (after taking a 3 year break from fall of 1998-Summer 2001), I have largely been collecting DC comics, with a few Marvel exceptions. This is my first time really reading a DD series and while author Mark Waid does mention the recent past history of the character, the series itself is an attempt to move beyond that and back to a less encumbered character. At lot of people around the internet whose opinions I trust in regards to comics sang the praises of this book, so I had to give it a try and I'm glad I did.

17. Saga

yeah, i think Daredevil is a very underrated and overlooked book. especially with all the X-Men shenanigans and new stuff like Incredible Hulk #1 and FF #600. the previous 'big' Daredevil story, Shadowlands, was pretty bleak so i'm glad they're getting back to basics.

18. Admiral_Young

Daredevil is pretty awesome again. I'm loving the X-Men ReGenesis stuff, and Schism was a way better written event than Fear Its Self was. Amazing Spider-Man is back on track right now as well.

19. Saga

Spider-Island was a lot of fun. i was kinda weary of it at first but i really enjoyed. it. Schism...eh, Schism was ok. i'm not a Wolverine fan so i don't care for him leading his own team. i'll keep following that title for characters like Iceman, Kitty and Rachel. i did think the new Uncanny X-Men #1 was great.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I have never cared for Secret Avengers, it's by far my least favorite Avengers title. I didn't care for Avengers Academy at first but it's pretty good now.

Spider-Island was a great Spider-Man epic. I even liked the tie-ins for the most part! I've been enjoying ASM more since the "Big Time" arc.

I liked X-Men Schism. The X-Men needed a shake-up... I liked the creation of Utopia with the Dark Avengers crossover but not really anything since then.