2014 Animal conservation thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

It has been a while since we had a conservation thread and I woud like to open it with the wonderful news that there has been a KAKAPO breeding season in 2014, the last breeding season was in 2011.

There was a total of 8 fertile eggs laid. The first has hatched bringing the kakapo population up to 125. This egg had to be repaired after its mother, Lisa, accidently crushed it and as a result it hatched in an incubator. Fingers crossed that the other seven will hatch safely.

The newest kakapo (hatched 28 Feb)

[​IMG]

ORANGE BELLIED PARROT

around 300 in captivity, about 50 in the wild.

[​IMG]

The breeding season went well for the wild population. 43 adult birds made the dangerous flight across Bass Strait from the birds' winter grounds in Victoria to its breeding grounds in SW Tasmania. 34 chicks have fledged.

THE NIGHT PARROT

From Wikipedia

Later in this thread I will be mentioning the Forty-Spotted Pardalote (Tasmania), the Black Robin (New Zealand), Takahe (New Zealand), Tasmanian Devil and the Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat.

EDITED TO ADD - I would be interested to know whether the Anericans here believe that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker still exists or not.

2. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

It's wonderful that they're doing so well, and I don't mean to drag the thread into the gutter so early, but every time I see a kakapo all I can think of is the glorious incident of Stephen Fry unable to stop laughing as a kakapo brutally shags a cameraman's head:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY[/yt]

3. Miss Chicken

That video clip was probably one of the best thing that ever happened as far as kakapo conservation is concerned. It greatly raised awareness of the kakapo.

Sirocco is now the New Zealand's official Spokesbird for Conservation which means that though he will never breed (he had to be hand-reared by himself and doesn't like other kakapo) he is doing his fair share to secure the future of his species.

4. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

That is very good news and the hatchling photo is terrific. I learned of the kakapo only a few years ago, though not through Stephen Fry. I knew they were scarce and the other thing that stuck with me was their longevity. IIRC they can live to a very ripe old age, well into the 80s and 90s. Here's to a continued and glorious comeback.

5. Miss Chicken

CHATHAM ISLAND BLACK ROBIN (New Zealand)

I think that people should look at this video from 1981 first (it is in two parts) then I will menion how this little bird is doing today.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Hell, I'd never even heard of the kakapo until now. As for the Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat, it sounds like something made up by W.C. Fields.

Glad to know these rare species are doing well and breeding in captivity, though. :techman:

7. Miss Chicken

The Black Robin, a species whose entire population, was once down to 5 individuals (and only one fertile female) now number 250 birds. All these birds are descendant of the female bird "Blue" (later known as Old Blue). This inbreeding doesn't seem to have caused any negative effects. Possibly serious population reductions in thr past have causes all harmful alleles lo be lost.

The kakapo aren't so lucky. The male kakapo have been sorted into Studs and Duds. The Studs with the good sperm are sharing an island with the females, while the Duds are all on another island.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  8. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Sounds like a reality TV show . . . :)

9. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

That's a very pretty bird!

10. Miss Chicken

THE NORTHERN HAIRY NOSED WOMBAT.

of the three species of wombat this is, by far, the rarest.

Its original range was across regions of New South Wales, Victoria and Queensland, but it's natural habitat is now restricted to a 3 km squared range within the Epping Forest National Park in Queensland. Its numbers dropped to less than100 individuals due to habitat destruction and predation by dingos and foxes. In 2000 a 25 km long, 2 meter high fence was erected around the range to keep its predators out. By 2003 the popultion had rose to 113 and 163 in 2010. In 2008 some of the population was transferred to the Richard Underwood Nature Refuge andthis 2nd population is also surrounded a predator-proof fence.

11. Miss Chicken

The kakapo population has increased to 126 with the hatching today of another egg (mother Huhana). Until it old enough for it sex to be determined it will be known as Huhana One.

For every kakapo that hatches I am have pledged $NZ25 to Kakapo Recovery. I hoping it will be an expensive month for me.

EDITED TO ADD - sad news. Huhana One died a few hours after hatching :(

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014