Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A week from today at approximately noon EST. :).

2. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

I had not heard anything like that, but I did notice when they scaled back their music section recently.

It's possible they had copies stacked farther back on the shelf. When I was looking for the last Terok Nor book, I actually had to pull all of the old books off the shelf to find the new one in the back. Unbelievable. Does seem like I've had to go to B&N more lately to get the Trek books.

That's not counting the recent spat of books arriving with covers either chipped, scuffed up or with some unidentifiable coating on them.

Although they're not the only ones that seem to have such a sparse number of new releases. For being such an apparent titanic undertaking, the Barnes & Noble near me had a grand total of three copies of Gods of Night. Three. Well, two now after I got done with them.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Amazon.de shipped my copy yesterday, so I should have it on Saturday (today's a national holiday) or Monday at the latest. :)

4. rfmcdpei

rfmcdpei Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are copies on the shelves of Indigo book stores in Toronto, and have been since earlier this week.

5. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

At mine you have to actually order Trek titles now. They no longer stock anything Trek related.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That blows. My local Borders received three copies of Gods of Night. Despite having one on order through work -- which I won't have for three more weeks, despite already paying for it -- I bought it when it saw it.

So Dave's getting two copies bought from me. :)

7. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not surprising, I feel like they are the freaking Starbucks of the book world. There are 3 of them within walking distance of my work.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The bad thing has been watching the progression over the last six or seven years.

Seven years ago they had an entire case devoted to Star Trek novels and one shelf devoted to Star Wars. About four years ago those shelves were even. Now Trek is down to one shelf and Star Wars the full bookcase (well progressing further its now Star Wars only on that case) :(

9. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

If anyone sees Mere Mortals in Texas, let me know. Just discovered that my stepmoms there so it might be worth getting her to pick up my copy and post it to me when she gets back to the UK.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Same here, it seems like every time I go to the nearby Barnes & Noble they have even less Trek books. The Borders Trek supply is going down too, but it doesn't seem to be happening quite as quick. Althought I think that might be due to a difference in shelf size more than anything.

11. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All British chain book stores, Borders, Books Etc, Waterstones (incorporating Ottakars) and WHSmith, have about a shelf and a half of Star Trek books, and most of the independents carry none. The only place with a large collection, ie more than a shelf and a half, is Forbidden Planet.

12. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Easons-The main Irish booksellers chain seem to have stopped stocking Star Trek titles too.As for the independents...forget about it.Finding new ST titles is next to impossible.:(

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

my local WH Smiths don't stock ANY Trek or Wars novels. the best you get is some Bear, Pratchett and Eddings.

the local indie bookshop however, will order in anything you want and, last i checked, had a case of mixed SF&F. mostly old Trek and Wars and Original SF&F

14. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the older Trek novels, there's my local SF&F bookshop which has about 4-5 shelves of books. Birthday money usually disappears there

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, no Star Wars, that's a first. Almost all the bookstores I've been to have had at least 5 or 6 rows of Star Wars books. But I'm also in the US, so that might be where the difference is.

16. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Got Destiny Book 1: Gods of the Night today as an eBook for my Sony Reader. I look forward to starting it later today.

17. danjamesb

danjamesb Commander Red Shirt

Dunno where you live, then; my local WHSmith has a lone copy of Kobayashi Maru, and the two branches of Waterstone's in my town have one Captain Kirk's Guide to Women between them! :)

(Always plenty of other tie-in stuff, though. S'only Trek that's sparse, in my experience.)

18. JWolf

Where my wife works, there are two Borders in walking distances and a Barnes & Nobels as well.

19. JWolf

What you could do is get a Sony Reader PRS-505 and then you could get them as eBooks and it would not matter what your local shops have or not.

20. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Or have you thought about asking the store to special order it for you? Most places are willing to do that.