Season 5 of Lost Girl will be the last

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 27, 2014.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmOHson-Iko[/yt]Anna Silk announced via Youtube video that the upcoming season of Lost Girl will be it's last. It will be 16 episodes split into two halves.
    She also did a brief interview with EW.
    I'm gonna miss the show. I'll admit last season wasn't all that great, but the I loved the first 3 seasons.

2. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I was a latecomer to the series as i didn't start getting interested until the last half of season two, but i've been a fan ever since and gotten caught up.

I'm glad that the plan to end on a high note. That's the biggest benefit of knowing when the end is coming.

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Disappointing news, but at least it's getting another season to wrap things up on its own terms.

Not crazy about the split season idea: Breaking Bad pulled it off, but as Mad Men has shown us, not every show benefits from splitting up a final season.

4. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    It depends on how significant the break in the middle is. Some shows can split it up and it doesn't affect things much. But then you get something like Doctor Who Season 6, where the "A Good Man Goes to War"/"Lets Kill Hitler" break just kinda disrupts everything like a giant rock in the middle of the season.

How are they going to do the DVDs? 1 full season set? 2 half season sets? Both?

Lost Girl is one of my favorite shows, so I'm a little heartbroken right now. Although, maybe it's for the best. The show has never quite been able to live up to the edgy, sexually charged energy of Season 1. And to be perfectly honest, Season 4 was a train wreck. And the whole Lauren/Bo/Dyson/Tamsin/whoever love triangle ("love square"? "love polygon"?) can't go on forever. Bo needs to either make a decision or just let the orgy happen.

But I'm not sure how I'll be able to cope without my regular dose of Kenzi-goodness!

5. The Borgified Corpse

BTW, I'm impressed with their timing. Just when I was shifting all of my fan energies back to Doctor Who, they start giving me Lost Girl on the brain again!

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, gods, don't remind me of the train... ;)

You're right, of course. If season 5 doesn't improve considerably on season 4's writing, I doubt I'll be able to stick with it to the end.

7. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm not surprised they have announced this as the last season.

The writing hasn't really developed the series concept beyond what we got in Season 1-3. The characters themselves have been about the only reason to watch, but they just haven't found good ways to integrate them with what has passed for a plot line over Season 4.

As series goes though, Kensi, Trick, & Hale are great examples of characters with more to offer than they've really had a chance to show.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

There has never been a Syfy show that has lasted more than 5 seasons, so this isn't a shock.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Last season was indeed a mess. Here's hoping they go out on a high note.

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It will be soarly missed in the line up. any idea on beiing human being cancelled?

11. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

It's a Canadian import, not Syfy originated...

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'll definitely miss Kenzi. I hope Ksenia Solo can get a new gig soon.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Aw, I'm gonna miss this crazy acid-trip of a show. I get a kick out of it pretty much no matter what they do. But at least we have another sixteen to look forward to.

14. Technobuilder

Hate to tell you this but both Being Human shows have been over for a while now.

US finale was in April of 2014

15. RJDiogenes

At least we still have Sanctuary and Warehouse 13.

16. The Borgified Corpse

While I know the show is a Canadian import from Showcase, I do think it's odd that nothing has ever lasted on the Sci-Fi channel for more than 5 seasons. Even the longer running shows that they've aired that they picked up from other networks only lasted 5 or less. Stargate SG-1 lasted 5 seasons on Showtime and the other 5 on Sci-Fi. Similarly, they picked up the last 3 seasons of MST3K after Comedy Central cancelled it. And while they carried the 1st 4 seasons of the new Doctor Who, it moved to BBC America in time for Season 5.

Oh, geez! Pun totally not intended there. But, yes, lets all try our best to forget Crazy Train!:guffaw:

I still can't help but feel that episodes like "In Memorium" & "Waves" just demonstrated how much better the show was without Bo, when they let Kenzi take the spotlight.

17. Technobuilder

Kenzi could definitely front her own show. Here's hoping Ksenia Solo gets more work soon.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, many is the time I've thought Buffy The Vampire Slayer would have been better without Buffy.

But then you run into the whole "The show is about her" thing...

Same here...

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They could always just pull a The Closer/Major Crimes and get rid of Anna Silk, but keep everyone else and make Ksenia Solo the lead. It's not gonna happen obviously, but a guy can dream.

20. RJDiogenes

Well, she's a girl and she could get lost, so the title could still fit. :D