(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Given the start forest have had to the season that seems a cautious prediction...

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I remember good starts that ended in nothing, our next two fixtures are toughies in the league but after that we have a run of very winnable games, if we win most or all of them I will be very willing to believe in a automatic promotion run. I have no desire for a playoff spot as we possibly have one the worst playoff records in football league history...

1 leg win, 2 leg draws, 5 leg defeats

0 overall tie wins

3. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think anything will ever top that Yeovil tie in terms of hilarity! :lol:

Top 4 in the PL this season;

Man Utd
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Tottenham

No idea which order they'll finish in.

Be interesting to see whether Arsenal finally splash some £££ before the window closes. If not, I fear for them.....

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

So guess the name of the team who can have the ball 77% of the time, 38 shots and only one goal at the 86th minute (Cavani). Final result : 1-1 with Ajaccio scoring with their only shot after 9 minutes.

Ici c'est Paris, this can't be a normal team :scream:

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:lol:

I saw that game, or at least I was dipping in and out of it. Every time I checked back PSG were hitting the bar, or having a shot cleared off the line!

To be fair, their keeper made some great saves. Didn't realize that Ravanelli had gotten himself a job over there.

6. Shaytan

Ravanelli visiting the Parc des Princes, it's like a criminal visiting the crime place 16 years later :scream:

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Europa League group phase once again - yeah. :D

If we couldn't be the worst team in the tournament this time, that'd be great. ;)

8. Shaytan

I love our group in the Champion's league. I also wonder how much it costed :lol:

I love Marseille's group too, nearly perfect for them :lol:

9. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

The club from my hometown (Rijeka, Croatia) just eliminated VfB Stuttgart in the playoff round of the UEFA Europa League and made it to the group stages for the first time in club history. There they will face Lyon, Real Betis and Vitoria Guimaraes.

I was at the home game (the stadium is located literally half a mile from where I live), and here's a taste of the atmosphere:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ81fHOQyHg[/yt]

10. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    Congratulations. Nice video too.

However, I have a question about Dinamo, how is it possible that they are so shit? Every year they sell young players for like 20 million € or something and they never do anything with that money or with that obvious potential they have in talented players (on the European level anyway) - are the club's officials just that corrupt or total morons?

11. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Sky says Ozil in advanced talks with Arsenal, can someone tell me why Man Utd are letting everyone buy top players while they sit on there asses :lol: Would be a great buy for Arsenal and see him probably link up with Wilshere and leave Carzola out on the left wing.

Also had a good day on Sky Bet today walked away with £45 :techman:

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Given Arsenal's transfer dealings this summer (or lack thereof) I'll believe it when I see it!

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Have you not heard of the one Zdravko Mamić? God, that's a long story, but once you get the feel of what's going down in that club, what this guy is all about and how he operates, things instantly become clear. To say that club officials are corrupt would be the understatement of the century.

14. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Guedioura looks like he's gone and another 1 or 2 players out on loan but we keep all that usless junk up front while were light elsewhere :rolleyes: typical Forest.

Guedioura never been same since we moved him into the holding role from his box to box role. Chris Cohen needs to go from the left back to the holding role to cover now. Hopefully we can get 1 or two loans in from premier league.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Didn't Farwaz say you were looking at 4 players but the prices kept going up and up so you dropped out? Bet Billy loved that, better get some loan signings in or the Billyometre will trip one notch closer to dummy out of the pram time.

Not that we can laugh, woeful in central defence and no one bought in. Least we offloaded Tyson's wages, and at least we didn't sell anyone else, but it's a bugger when that's all the excitement you get from deadline day.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

1 point still top but no guts or attacking threat :rolleyes:

My Ratings...
    Hart (6) - LUCKY not to give away a penalty though some decent punches and no spills but needs a full 100% error free game to gain ENG fans confidence back

Walker (5.5) - Caught out a few times and offered little going forward. Another player lucky not to give away a penalty.

Cahill (7) - Much better display from Gary and made some crucial tackles/interceptions

Jagielka (6.5) - Solid but Cahill had to cover for him once or twice when he was standing still watching and not reacting to loose balls around the goal area.

Cole (7) - A typical solid virtually error free game at the back but his age showing as going forward he offers little compared to Baines.

Walcott (6) - Could of scored early on but did his normal act of dissapering as the game goes on. How much longer must we suffer with this Striker playing on the wing, DOES NOT stretch or pressure teams enough over 90 minutes.

Gerrard (6) - Shielded the defence best he could but lucky not to let Ukraine score when he misjudged a cross.

Lampard (5.5) - Played deep to offer some protection for the back 4 but so many misplaced passes and wasted a great chance to score late on.

Wilshere (4) - Worst game so far for ENG with bad pass after bad pass. Playing as most advanced midfielder, which does not suit him needs to be the playmaker with someone else making the runs into the box with 1 holding player not 2 behind him.

Milner (6) - Typical hard working performance, protected the left side with Cole but nothing going forward. Decent crosser at times in his career but made no attempt at trying any in this game

Lambert (5.5) - some decent hold up play in the 1st half but was wasted over the game. Great in the air but no crosses played to him and left isolated up front.

SUBS...
    Young (5) - First touch of a donkey should not be anywhere near the ENG squad at the moment.

Cleverley (N/A) - Came on too late

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good result, Lineker and his ilk should stop making themselves look foolish. Given how bereft of attacking options Hodgson was I think 0-0 away from home has to be seen as a good result.

18. Shaytan

You shouldn't complain : watching the 1st half of the French team yesterday was like watching the Titanic sinking.
    Ribery managed to save the boat during the 2nd half but frankly, I'd rather not see them in the next world cup, they were already ridiculous enough in 2010.

It's a good thing that we're already qualified for the next Euro...

19. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Hodgson plays like this in virtually every game no matter the squad. Deep slow boring football :scream: so boring.

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

My team (HNK Rijeka) got their asses handed to them last night by Vitoria Guimaraes (4:0) :(

Too bad, they totally chickened out. This is the same team that beat VfB Stuttgart 4:3 on aggregate, for fuck sake. Vitoria didn't even play that well, TBH. They just exploited Rijeka's defensive errors, which were a plenty.