Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

I laughed me head off at the Thing-ring. Oh man, everything Fraction touches turns to gold. :lol:

Speaking of which, anybody reading Hawkeye? The latest issue was pretty bold, being entirely from the point of view of Pizza Dog. What's amazing is just how well it works.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

After hearing all the praise for Hawkeye I finally decided to look at an issue, #11. What the hell was that? And the art was terrible. Guess it was a bad issue to sample on...

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The art is supposed to reflect a noir street level... GUTTER level hero.

But yes, the last one I read a couple months back stopped being an aesthetic story telling device and just plain started being bad.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I dropped it after two issues. Mostly because of the writing.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Hawkeye is in my top 5 pulls every month.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is the first I've heard of people not loving the current Hawkeye series. I haven't checked it out yet, but pretty much every review I've read for it has said it's one of the best series going right not.
    EDIT: I've decided to start buying books and comics again. I'm going to do one comic from each of the big two and my Marvel pick is going to be All-New X-Men.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"FF" has just been a blast. So much fun compared to "Fantastic Four". Also was that an actual Madman tease...or just a shoutout/nod/play on words from Fraction? Interesting the appearance of "Kid Immortus". I guess we know why Doom's been acting the way he has been since Hickman's use of him.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I gave up Fantastic Four and FF after three issues or so. It just wasn't grabbing me. Of course, after Mark Millar and Hickman runs, what would? It was the perfect jumping OFF point.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I read FF #1 and hated it. Glad I got it for free.

11. Guy Gardener

In which case you don't care about spoilers?

Alex Power, the eldest member of Power Pack, a current student at the Future Foundation, is working for Doctor Doom.

My childhood feels so raped.

Of course two pages later when Doom drags Alex down to Castle Doom's Dungeon by his ankle to the cage where he's keeping Ma and Pa Power, and then Doom says "You will do what I say without question" and Alex capitulates with a whiperish "Yes." which clearly isn't good enough, as Doom implies that he wants the Master of Gravity to say "Yes Master."

Remember when this kid was so guilty because he kept "borrowing" the fire extinguishers in the apartment block so that he could fly instead of float when they went out on patrol?

Now look at him! Alex Power: Vassal of DOOM.

Actually, this is a good rape, my childhood kinda likes it.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Actually, this is a good rape, my childhood kinda likes it.>>

Quoted.... just to have it sitting out of context!

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova were both excellent again. Continue to be pleasantly surprised by these. Took Bendis only four issues to have Tony sleep with Gamora. Nova is easily Jeph Loeb's best work in years.

14. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Same, and most of my non Marvel titles came out last week. Looks like I'll get to save a bit. The only problem is I'll be out of comics to read by tomorrow.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Red She-Hulk #67, the conclusion to the two arc saga about Betty seeing a horrid future with ties to the Order of the Shield and the Terranometer. It's not that the story was bad, but for the 9 issues , in two parts, that it's taken it felt more decompressed. I think the decompression is just one of the things that kept people from staying on board with this title. An arc of this type should've been slated for later on, after establishing a firmer readership. This title needed a few short arcs with Betty on adventures, too bogged down, too early.
    The short of it is, after defeating General Fortean and his new Super Soldiers, preventing the horrible possible future she saw she was going to form a partnership with the Order of the SHIELD.
    This team, it appears, would've been both She-Hulks(Jen&Betty), Machine Man and Man-Thing. The Tesla hologram likely would've been in tow as an advisor but had limited offensive capabilities.
    Obviously the Man-Thing fan in me likes(ed) that Manny would've been a semi-regular in a book again. This title was just too grandiose too early.

16. Guy Gardener

Superior Foes of Spider-Man was Soooo funny.

Boomer Rang is cool? Who the frakk would have guessed that?

My Cousin Vinnie Cool, but cool.

Although...

Wasn't Boomer a member of the Thunderbolts in their spacetime adventures for the last year?

Continuitywise that's a bit suspect.

I mean you've all noticed that lady mastermind is running roughshot trying to take over the world in two different comics at the moment?

Yes, and Spider-man is saving the world in Ten comics a month.

But it's like the assistant editors don't smoke outside in the rain any more.

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Read avengers AI #1. It was good, but Pym was acting bizarrely, like Tony Stark without the armor or Goatee. It was noticeable, and probably the only major problem I had with the book. I heard it has something to do with Age of Ultron (which I couldn't get past the first issue of) which somehow turned Pym into Hank "Tony Stark" Pym. Regardless of why his characterization is really off, I hope it doesn't stay that way too long. The book is really interesting, but Pym acting like a knock off Stark (personality wise) is pretty lame and not a good read. Beside that, the book is good, and much better than the stuff Hickman is pulling out of his butt.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Avengers AI did nothing for me and the art was very subpar.

19. Guy Gardener

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what is Hank Pym's "personality"?

He would be in the same boat as Banner over in Indestructible looking for some damn respect finally, especially with Stark and Richards both off planet, it's his/their time in the sun.

There was a line something like "the A team is dead, it's up to Vhelma and Shaggy to save the day." in the UK version of Primeval, after the leads seemed to have bought the farm during a crisis.

Remember. We don't know Pym very well, he was replaced by a Skrull in the mid 80s.

(Yeaaaaaah right.)

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, his personality is (or was) more like Reed richards than Tony stark. Not the same, but closer to the genius who is more into science than the guy making sarcastic comments while fighting guys in his armored suit. I like Tony stark (when he's done well) but it just isn't Pym at all.

As for the secret invasion thing, I always read that as the skrull taking over pym probably after Dissassembled, or maybe just before, but definately not in the 80's. He was replaced awhile after wasp and pym finally broke it off permenantly (from scenes that were shown around the time SI ended), and they were still together during the avengers run that lead to Dissassembled, or atleast still having sex (I know that from a rather disturbing scene in an Avengers issue from the series that ended with dissassembled), but they were definately a couple up until the mid to late ninties, just based off avengers comics I've read from that period where they are definately a couple. So, I think the skrull came in much later than the 80's stuff.