The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nolan is just awful. Boringly written, boring to look at, acting that while "adequate" as gblews said is also boring.

2. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes I do see some potential in Stephanie Leonidas as Irisa. Perhaps after she gets to know her character better. Same for Curran as Daytak. I really haven't seen anything from Murray that looks out of the ordinary but I'll keep watching and will keep an open mind.

I just wonder how shows like Firefly, BSG, Doctor Who, and others, can throw 4 or 5 actors (regular and guest cast) who turn in great charismatic performances from the opening episode and others, like Defiance (and Grimm), can barely muster 2 or 3, if that many?

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I've found it odd that a lot of the "previously on Defiance" caps don't seem to focus on what actually happened in the last episode, but what might have happened two episodes ago or in the pilot.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thats because they seem to be focusing on stuff that connects with what is going on in the current episode.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Exactly. "Previously" recaps have never been limited solely to the previous hour (except back in the days of strictly episodic TV where they were only used in 2-parters); their purpose is to remind us of the specific things that are relevant to the upcoming episode, no matter how long ago they occurred.

6. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I must say I was a bit skeptical after the pilot but I'm really kinda digging this show. I've played the game a bit on the PS3 (a few hours or so) and hope to be able to spend more time with it but so far I'm pleasantly surprised at how much its holding my interest.

7. Christopher

So far the pattern seems to be that the even-numbered episodes are really good and the odd-numbered ones are less good. Hopefully the weak episodes are just due to early growing pains and there will be fewer of them in the future.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But if that pattern holds, then half the series is going to be shit.

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Perhaps I'm being too nitpicky then, but I guess in some cases I don't really see how what's been briefly recapped has any relation to the current episode's plot. I can see where they used the fight footage from the pilot to reference Ulysses' connection with the Tarr family, but they could have not shown that and it would be perfectly clear from the episode's dialogue. Given that I think both the recent episodes dealt with similar themes - namely, the alien characters trying to fit in and gain respect to some extent (or not, going from the previous episode :D), why not show some of the clips in the mine when Irisa was trying to talk her opponent down? That would have segued nicely into Datar's feeling that he deserves more respect and influence in Defiance.

Again, maybe I'm just being nitpicky. ;) For anyone interested, here's an interesting interview with Stephanie Leonidas about her role in Defiance.

10. teacake

What drove me nuts was Caprica's "previously on" which was on the dvd's (?!?!). Went on forever, every single ep felt like it showed you half the pilot. Over and over and over.

11. Christopher

The reminder doesn't hurt, though. Besides, recaps are a standard thing these days. Shows are no doubt structured to allow room for about a minute of backstory, so they have to put something in, and naturally it's going to be whatever's available that connects to the story.

Back in the '70s, when episodes were usually completely self-contained, it was common for a number of shows to begin with about 30-60 seconds of previews of the upcoming episode. While modern recaps are mainly about refreshing the viewer's memory, they can also serve a similar purpose to those old previews, I think: namely to give the viewer a taste of what the subject matter of the upcoming story will be, a "hook" to pique their interest. And maybe both types of opening serve as sort of a buffer in case viewers are delayed in switching to the right channel, or need time to get settled in on the couch and focus their attention on the screen.

That seems far too vague a connection. And to what end? Just to favor the immediately previous episode over earlier ones? Why is that even a thing to aspire to? The point is to remind viewers of plot points they may have forgotten or fill them in on relevant events from episodes they may have missed. I don't see how "We've explored a similar theme before" is something viewers need to be reminded/informed of, unless they're doing a critical analysis or something.

12. Guy Gardener

The "previously on "blank"" recaps are hopefully for casual viewers, and not morons who can't tell their ass from their elbow. But frankly how in-depth the "previously on" is, is an indicator on how little to amazingly little the producers thinks of it's audience.

Can you blame them? They are making stories for douche bags who in theory will see a 30 second motion picture of a 30 thousand dollar car and then feel compelled to buy that 30 thousand dollar car immediately. I mean fuck it but that's stupid like a cat chasing a laser pointer spot in circles stupid. This is comparable to taking advantage of the mentally ill.

Advertising is evil and should be stopped.

13. teacake

What is this advertising you speak of?

14. Guy Gardener

I really have no idea.

Stealing TV does have it's advantages.

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

The more Amanda and Kendra the better. I don't think I was paying attention that much because I thought I missed a part where Kendra and her friend escaped. I liked the bioman character as well, and the little bit at the end where Nolan has a little dig at Datak's wife.

16. teacake

Amanda is totally boring! She's just all beige. Beige hair, beige clothes, beige lust for Nolan, beige jealousy, beige office.

17. trekkiebaggio

But Julie Benz is radiantly beautiful :p

18. Christopher

For future reference, Amanda's sister's name is Kenya, not Kendra.

19. teacake

I bet she was always like, "HAHA you got the boring name and I got the cool name and that's why I'm gonna be a madam and you're gonna be a mayor!"

20. trekkiebaggio

Ah yes, for some reason I wrote Kenya first then I changed it.