Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I'm thinking that as well. It would also be a good opportunity to incorporate young Hank Pym into an Agent Carter series or AoS flashback as a guest character, depending on how the movie sets things up.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was a huge shock for me. I still can't believe the caliber of actors they're casting in these movies. First Tommy Lee Jones, then Glenn Close and Robert Redford, and now Michael Douglas. I can't wait to see who they're going to get next.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And, honestly, whoever thought that we'd get an Ant-Man movie in the first place? Part of me is still amazed that Hank Pym (who is not exactly a household name) is going to be appearing on the big screen at all, let alone be played by Michael Douglas of all people.

There's no rule that says that every Marvel character gets their own shot at a movie franchise. Hank has no more been marginalized than the Vision, Wonder Man, Moon Dragon,Tigra, Swordsman, the Black Knight, Hellcat, Moon Knight, Mantis, Quasar, Doctor Druid, Ms. Marvel, and any number of other Marvel characters who may or may not get star treatment at some point.

4. Alidar Jarok

Of course, it can backfire. You could have a bored Anthony Hopkins playing Odin.

5. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Michael Douglas as Henry Pym? OK, but the character of Janet (assuming she exists in the MCU) should not be his wife. Janet as Pym's daughter? Forget it. Maybe the Wasp is not destined to be in any movie, ever.

6. Alidar Jarok

I mentioned earlier that Hank Pym could be featured in a flashback in AoS, an Agent Carter series, or a One Shot, depending on what's established in the movie. Hell, if Hank Pym is established as being far enough back in time, maybe he'll be back in a time when it was considered acceptable to hit a woman ;)

7. Bad Bishop

Well, years ago it was also acceptable for Ms. Marvel to be raped. Apparently she enjoyed it too. A low point in Marvel's history.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

9. Alidar Jarok

Fun, but his quotes are ambiguous enough emotionally to mean anything from "the script is great" to "they gave me a dumptruck full of money."

Is it standard Marvel practice now to sign you for multiple movies just in case?

10. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ I think it's pretty much standard movie practice at this point (if there's any chance at all a movie won't be a standalone), honestly.

11. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

12. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Perhaps Raquel Welch could guest star as the original Wasp.

13. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Why not? Look who Douglas is married to in real life.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

There is a significant age difference between Hank and Jan in the comics as well. Jan was barely an adult and Hank was already a widower when they met.

15. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Based on past Marvel practice, I think the dump truck of money is unlikely.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking that has the potential to be either awesome, or a total freakin' disaster.

17. Alidar Jarok

They haven't really hired somebody quite so well known for the main role since Edward Norton. It would surprise me, but, given the caliber of much of their supporting cast, it wouldn't be completely shocking.

18. Bad Bishop

This the first time I'm hearing that Hank Pym was some sort of cradle-robber.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the 60s, using hindsight, or maybe you were there, what did you think the age difference between Hank and Jan was?

20. Bad Bishop

If you're asking me, I didn't start reading AVENGERS till the late 1970's. The age difference between Hank and Janet was never anything that I read about. For all I knew, they were as close in age as Peter Parker and Betty Brant.