Twentieth Anniversary DS9 Book by DRG III

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by shanejayell, Aug 7, 2012.

1. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Just added to his FB:
    http://www.facebook.com/DRGIII?ref=stream

At Shore Leave, I had the pleasure of announcing a small part of Simon & Schuster's publishing schedule for next year's slate of STAR TREK novels. With 2013 marking the twentieth anniversary of DEEP SPACE NINE, S&S will publish a novel to commemorate the occasion. Although I don't yet have a contract in hand, one has been requisitioned, and I expect to receive it shortly. Until I sign on the dotted line (actually, it happens to be a solid line), nothing is certain, but the plan right now is that I will be penning the novel. I'm pretty jazzed about it too.

2. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Thank you, S&S!! :)

3. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man I hope it's the Ascendants story. I kinda doubt it will be, but if it is it will be the highlight of the 2013 schedual for me.

4. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, is DRGIII now the only DS9 author now, similar to Beyer on Voyager? Not knocking the man, because I like his work, but I'd like to see variety in the ranges.

5. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First, congrats. Second, hard to believe its been 20 years now. I guess the Steve Miller song is correct: time keeps on ticking into the future.

6. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I also like variety, but given how clearly Raise The Dawn pointed towards a DS9 relaunch, I think giving him the next book to finish off that process makes a lot of sense to me.

Plus Raise The Dawn was unbelievably outstanding, so it's hard to be upset about this either way!

7. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So... it's a DS9 relaunch relaunch? Relaunch^2?

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You reckon DRG3 is going to ignore a significant and fan-demanded gap in the DS9 timeline?

I'm sure the Ascendants will make at least a cameo flashback, but probably more than that.

9. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only 1 book? It should receive a trilogy

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's just what I thought. We may be going a single author route for some of the 24th century series' - DRGIII for DS9, Kirsten Beyer for Voyager and Michael A. Martin for Titan.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

You've seen DRG3's page counts. Some of his single novels are almost trilogy-length. :rofl:

12. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

DRG3's TP duology was great, and the thought of him continuing the tales of DS9 is fantastic! I wonder if it will jump to the timeframe from Raise the Dawn's epilogue (late 2384)?

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's a difference between ignoring something and choosing to focus on something else. I think at this point the emphasis is pretty clearly on going forward with the story. DRGIII's current arc has gained enough momentum that it might not be a good idea to interrupt things by looking backward. Maybe there's a way to incorporate the Ascendants organically into a forward-moving story that's integral to the new arc, but there's no guarantee of that.

The Ascendants storyline was part of Marco's plan for the series, and Marco isn't in charge anymore. As we've seen enough times in comics and television, when the powers that be are replaced, story arcs they were developing can be abandoned and never heard from again. Adopting a predecessor's plot orphans is not mandatory in series fiction.

And we don't really know how "fan-demanded" it is, beyond that very small percentage of fans who post on this BBS.

So yeah, maybe it could happen, if it meshes with the current plans. But don't make the mistake of assuming it has to.

14. Ben Sisko

Ben Sisko Lieutenant Junior Grade

Most of DRGIII's novels are as long as some trilogies.

15. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Variety can go hang ! I'm more than happy for Kirsten M F Beyer to be writing Voyager (I was never very fond of the show or novels before she took over) and I feel that DRGIII is certainly THE DS9 author for now.

I realise both will move on eventually, through either a wish to do other things or a simple running out of steam on one title, and they will know when it's time to go. Leave 'em be while they're on a roll...

16. Thrawn

Yeah. I think Marco Palmieri was unusually good at coordinating different authors into the same ongoing storyline; both before him and on the series by other editors during his run, that trend didn't occur as often. All of the series Marco commissioned, including most of his trilogies, were multi-author projects (DS9-R, Lost Era, Terok Nor, String Theory, Titan, Vanguard, and that was also the plan for Voyager originally).

Aside from SCE and the TNG relaunch, that was a lot less true of the rest. All the other trilogies I can think of as well as the ENT relaunch, the first VOY relaunch, Stargazer, Challenger (as planned), Gorkon, and New Frontier were all single-author projects.

It looks like TNG is going to continue being multi-author, which is good, and I DEARLY hope Titan ditches Martin soon, but I'm fine with DS9 and Voyager being DRG3 and Beyer for a while.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I was going to question that last point about VGR, but then I remembered that Marco had intimated that he wanted me to contribute to the VGR series. Had he stayed, I might've done the book after Unworthy. And while I would've liked an opportunity to contribute to that series, it's just as well I didn't, since then we wouldn't have gotten Children of the Storm.

18. Thrawn

I think that, all else being equal, it would've been a good fit for you. That said, Children is absolutely my favorite Trek novel since Destiny, so I can't disagree with that last sentence either :)

19. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Kirsten is amazing on Voyager, and i hope she's around for awhile, but having someone like CLB tackling that crew, would be really fun to read. I think he'd be a great match for them :)

20. Ben Sisko

Ben Sisko Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can we just assign writers as follow:

mack TNG
    Beyer VGR
    Swallow\Bennett Titan
    DRG3 DS9.
    There done. No other authors need apply.