Need for Speed the movie in theaters on 3/14/2014

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/gamenews.php?id=105303

It has has one strike already since it is based on a video game. But they can pretty come up whatever plot they want. Also, Aaron Paul! It might be worth checking out.

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

F&F 7 will wipe the floor with this. :lol:

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aren't they about 10 years too late?

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I swear to god, I saw this thread and thought "dayum, they finally went ahead with that Top Gun sequel that Cruise has been threatening us with."

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to "Hot Wheels" the movie next! :devil:

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What a waste of celluloid.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think they'll be able to fill seats fast enough... ;)

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So basically Dreamworks wanted to cash-in on the FF craze and went after whatever IP was available so they could create a film school quality movie out of it?

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yeah! Blatant Fast & Furious knockoff, bitch!

The only thing that might make me interested in this is if it could unintentionally work as an unofficial continuation of the Jesse Pinkman story (changing his name is not a problem, since he'd be on the run from the law). Otherwise, not even Aaron Paul's presence, great actor though he may be, is enough to make me want to pay to see this in theaters.

The car chases alone might be enough to draw in many of the F&F fans though; who knows? For me, though, the ensemble cast and humor in the F&F series is as much of a draw as the car chases and other action setpieces.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

It'll be the greatest video game movie since Mario Bros. :techman:

13. Owain Taggart

I kind of feel like this would work better in a Smoky & The Bandit way, because then at least there'd be a story, and we haven't had very many of those recently.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen Breaking Bad or any of this Aaron Paul's other works, but just judging by the brief flashes of his face in the trailer, particularly that vast expanse that is his forehead, this doesn't strike me as the looks of an action movie star. Maybe he's got the chops to overcome that impression, but I'm getting flashbacks of Jake Gyllenhall's swing-and-a-miss attempt at playing an old-school, twinkle-in-his-eyes swashbuckler in Prince of Persia. :razz:

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

16. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Hasbro didn't buy the Go-Bots I'm pretty sure someone in Hollywood would have purchased the rights to go up against Transformers.

17. Owain Taggart

You know, perhaps the best thing going for this movie is the fact that they've used physical stunts, no CGI. But I don't know if the F&F movies do that too? In the trailers that I've seen, they seem to be trying to capture the over-the-top insanity from the games. In recent NFS games, the cops are relentless, to the point of throwing themselves at you. I'd be disappointed if that didn't happen here :lol:

18. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, I dug out Most Wanted (2012) again this week and I forgot how insanely suicidal some of them were, three times as many totalled themselves as I did.

The film, looks like a good over the top movie in the spirit of the games and still has a fairly decent action movie plot/story going for it.

Pity they didn't wait until August for the franchises 20th anniversary, but close enough.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  19. Owain Taggart

Yeah, with Most Wanted, they're more of a menace to society than the player is, and far too agressive from a design standpoint. I don't know if Rivals fixed that or not, but one of the annoying things about MW was how chases could go on and on, and it was as if they knew exactly where you were at any given time, despite the speed you could be going at. It stopped being fun when I realized that. Too difficult to shake off and then they'd send cars to ram you insane proportions.

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I got up the full heat level this week, they send in SWAT vans, armoured ones. They smash right into you with the intent to just mangle your car like a coke can under a steamroller. And there are about 5 of them after you, yeah.

Haven't gotten a hold of Rivals to check it out either.

In the trailer we see the cops t-boning the cars at speed at least two or three times, with a few chases hinted at, so we're going to get a mixture of MW/HP style outruns.

Longest pursuit I was in in MW was 16 minutes, shortest was 11.8 seconds. But I've seen 30+ minutes on youtube.