2014 World Cup - So it Begins

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Alidar Jarok, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

So the groups have been set and now we can see who will be champions of the world in Brazil. What do you guys think will emerge from each group?

Link

Certainly, American Soccer fans are probably cringing at the group we're in (already dubbed the "group of death"). Certainly, they need to win a revenge game against Ghana or else they're going to have lots of problems. Still, this should be a lot of fun.

Also, for what it's worth, the Soccer Power Index projects the chances of each team to advance. Whether or not you agree with these statistics, it's at least pretty to see. Interestingly, England is more favorably rated than Italy. Also, it rates Portugal only slightly higher than the United States in their chance to advance.

2. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Obviously it's a difficult draw for the US, but they usually do well when it's really time for competition.

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

We'll definitely only be making up the numbers this time around. The so-called "golden generation" is either retired, so far over the hill they're barely visible, or playing in lesser leagues that won't in any way prepare us for a World Cup or the opponents in our group.

Frankly, I'll be astonished if we even score a goal in any of our games. Even Tim Cahill isn't that good a footballing miracle worker.

4. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

The French got off easy, but it's hard to imagine three of Uruguay, Italy or England & USA, Germany, Ghana, or Portugal not making it past the group stage.

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

My Predictions...

Group A
    Brazil
    Cameroon
    Mexico
    Croatia

Group B
    Spain
    Chile
    Netherlands
    Australia

Group C
    Colombia
    Ivory Coast
    Japan
    Greece

Group D
    Uruguay
    Italy
    England
    Costa Rica

Group E
    France
    Ecuador
    Switzerland
    Honduras

Group F
    Argentina
    Nigeria

Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Iran

Group G
    Germany
    Portugal

Ghana
    USA

Group H
    Belgium
    South Korea

Russia
    Algeria

Winner of the World Cup - Brazil

Top Goalscorer - Messi

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely nervous about Group G, but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility that the USA moves past the group stage. Of course they'll need to get past Ghana, which will be difficult, and I do think Portugal is beatable, even with Ronaldo. But it's going to be very, very difficult.

7. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

For England or the USA to move on, they need a monumental collapse from one of the teams ahead of them.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I think the US is better than Ghana (at least, they've played as the better team the past couple of years). It's just past history that gives me pause.

I don't think they're a better team that Portugal, but Portugal is mostly Cristiano Ronaldo (and a good defense). The US team might actually have more depth than Portugal. I don't think it would require a major collapse by Portugal, just an off game.