The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Anne Hathaway is Selina Kyle - The Dark Knight Rises

I was hoping for a triumvirate of Bane, Scarecrow, and Killer Croc. ( Yes, Scarecrow again - we know he's not dead and one should use an asset like Cillian Murphy. )

I guess 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Maybe Bane's venom drug is a concoction by Scarecrow?

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then you turn on the news and all those folks living next to pedophiles, serial killers & mass rapists all reply with the samething: "He seemed like a such a nice man. I never suspected any of that was going on right next door."

Nobody gets involved in other people business to wanna know, especially in a city.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Hardy as Bane is great casting; he's already shown he can be extremely intelligent and convincingly physical.

Hathaway as Catwoman is a bit unexpected. Her standard persona is a long way from femme fatale, but she's a great actress, so I don't doubt she has the range.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Ugh. Anne Hathaway? I can't stand her.

And Tom Hardy as Bane? I really enjoyed his performance in Inception but the character of Bane does nothing for me. I'm hoping he's not the primary villain.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It's official then.
    Since Nolan only granted 1/2 my request by giving me Catwoman he MUST do a 4th Batman film with Riddler. I'll even let him take 3yrs between films. I must have Jim Carrey as Riddler removed from the public's mind. While we are at it, in the 4th film just give us Penguin also, DeVito's portrayal has to go as well.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Interesting choices there.

Hathaway i'm not a big fan of having seen her in several movies.. she just doesn't command any screen presence like other actressess do but maybe Nolan can write/direct her so it gets worthwile.

Hardy is almost a non-entity to me. Let's be fair and not drag him down with ST:Nemesis.. that film was shit all throughout and not even the acting talents of Stewart saved it much less Hardy. I've only seen him in Inception since and he was more a supporting actor but that he did well so i'm positively excited.

Nolan's Bane will be very different from the comic version i think.. Nolan isn't a "direct by numbers" kind of director and has sure found a story worthwile to tell and adapts the characters from their comic book origins. I doub't we'll see the steroid monster from the comics but rather a cool and cunning enemy the equal to Batman both mentally and physically and i'm looking forward to see that.

Only about a year and a half to go (it'll be summer blockbuster or rather fall?) :techman:

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a Hathaway fan at all. Seems a bit flavour-of-the-month to me. And Bane? Guess he'll be watered down to such a degree that you'll wonder why he's even there given Nolan's hard-on for 'realism'.

9. Captain Craig

Hathaway as "flavor of the month" was about 6yrs ago during the whole Princess Diaries phase of her career.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bleh. What an unattractive, undesirable, non-sexy Catwoman. :p

[​IMG]

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

So Fox' "Should do fine against cats." was indeed foreshadowing?

12. Captain Craig

I'm guessing that was a line tossed in for the fanboys but sure it can be used retroactively now!! :techman:

13. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ It would appear so. It was a line that I didn't really pay attention to the first few times I saw it either lol. Anne Hathaway is hardly the flavor of the month. She's been talked about for an Oscar this year for "Love and Drugs" which I've not seen but read she's supposed to be really good in. She was one of the few bright spots in the otherwise awful "Valentine's Day" Of course she was already nominated for Best Actress for "Rachel Getting Married" back in 2008. She's an established super star.

14. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder whether they are going to adapt KnightFall - probably have Batman be "broken" in the first 45 minutes and then focus on his recovery. Which explains the "Rises" bit. If so, I want Lady Shiva in this - hopefully played by Michelle Yeoh! :thumbsup:

Q for the more knowledgable comics fans amongst us - How does KnightFall rank in terms of sales amongst the Batman trades?

Anne as Selina - I don't see it. Unless we look at the Darwyn Cooke version (where Selina was more dimunitive and "little-feisty-woman" in her Catwoman avatar). I want to know which costume they will use for Catwoman - somehow I don't see the slitted skirt.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I will say that using Catwoman and Bane (!) are odd choices. Really, as I've said over and over again, this universe Nolan has created his very well suited for The Penguin who is supposed to be nothing more than a dapper, odd looking, mobster. (Not the deformed, sewer-dwelling freak Burton turned him into)

Bane?! Not sure how they're going to use him and, frankly, I don't want to see that. Catwoman can be used well if "done right" she would just have to be a skilled cat burglar who's a romantic foil for Wayne. But... I dunno.

I would've expected stronger villains.

Hell even the Riddler could be used but, again, in a more "straight" manner as a serial killer/thief who leaves clues behind and not the Jokerian freak Schumacher made him into.

There's some strong stuff still in Batman's rogues gallery. Pulling Bane and Catwoman seems.... odd.

And Tom Hardy as Bane? I don't see it working. I liked Hardy in "Inception" but I'm not sure he's Bane.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I just wish they would stop recycling the villains from the other 4 movies. It started out quite nicely with Ra's in Batman Begins. Joker and Two Face in TDK were then rather meh, but the perfomances were fantastic. But now I don't give a shit. It's lazy and uncreative, doesn't matter to me what Nolan does with it.

17. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

I'm actually slightly surprised Catwoman is being used in Nolan's Batverse, but then the film definitely needed at least one iconic villain.

Bane is an okay villian, but he's a one-storyline villain, and that storyline is overrated somewhat. Let's hope Nolan does something interesting with him.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, to be fair, Batman's "strongest villains" and most well-onown pretty much ARE The Joker, The Penguin, The Riddler, Two-Face and Catwoman. So it's hard to have much to pull from since the first series of movies used up his "good villains."

It's a shame TDK had to blow two in one movie, though. The movie would've probably been a lot stronger with Two-Face taken out (leaving Harvey injured in the hospital, the Joker doesn't convert him but Harvey's own guilt and anger truns on him his closing bit in the movie being him taking out the mob guys. Get rid of the "revenge" stuff with Gordon.)

Then we use Two-Face in this movie as the way he was done in the TDK is so strong it begs for its own movie but he's kind-of wasted in TDK and overshadowed by The Joker.

Ras I know little about that angle and I doubt the "general public" knows much either so removing that element is fine.

Here's something. Why not make a brand new villain? Let Nolan make his OWN mark on the franchise and come up with something completely knew for a foe? Make his own theme, shtick, "power" whatever. Why stick to the stuff in the comics>

19. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pleased with this. It's not "OMG, awesome!" pleased, but after second-guessing Nolan's choice of Ledger for Joker (like we all pretty much did) I won't make the same mistake here. If Nolan sees something, I trust him. Implicitly. He's earned it ten fold with the first two films.

I'm glad no Hugo Strange. Not very keen on the character.

Very glad on Catwoman. Was hoping for her.

w00t!

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Harvey was meant to be the main villain in the third movie. It's possible that Nolan and company considered a new villain. We don't know the process that he went through to select Bane in the first place. I'm sure that he was given "Knightfall" to read. Maybe even a few Secret Six issues since he's been part of that team recently. There is a useful and compelling story to be told from any number of Batman's rouges, for whatever reason he decided to go with Bane. It was reported a few weeks ago that Tom Hardy would not be playing the main villain...I don't know if that was a false report or pure speculation. I think casting is far from over.