(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Wow. How good are Rapid supposed to be again?! In saying that, have Hamburg simply gone downhill since Jol left?

2. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say they (HSV) played above their level in the Bundesliga so far, but it took an exceptionally bad performance, as much as I like Rapid.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Hahahaha. Who the fuck is HSV? :lol: :lol:

I'm fucking speechless. :lol:

Quite. :D
    Not that good generally, but maybe they are better than I thought. ;)

4. Iasius

Thank you, Pizarro. I'd better go to bed now, lest I think too much about this game.

5. Roger Wilco

A victory is a victory. ;)

6. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I decided to put a (very, very small) amount of money on the football this weekend. I've never bet on sports before. Gambling, eh? How hard can it be? ;) :D

7. Iasius

My father is having a competition with a couple of friends on who can predict the Bundesliga results best (just for bragging rights :D).

This weekend and next I'm filling in for him since he's away on vacation. So far, out of one game, I predicted the result accurately (Schalke 1-2 Wolfsburg). I hope I can keep this up because this prediction has put him at the top of the list. :)

I've also thought about betting against my team in international competitions at times when I had to pay Premiere to view the games online (ie pay per view). Basically, I'd pay a bit more if they won, but at least I would have watched the game for free if they lost. I haven't done that yet for reasons related to why I call the lottery a "tax on stupid people" (in economese: the arbitrage price is too high). Also, I can't quite convince myself that betting against "my" team is something with which I feel comfortable.

8. StolenThunder

Convincing win for Arsenal today, so I'm pleased about that despite their slightly frustrating inconsistency.

Hm, I've never thought about doing things that way before. It's a nice idea.

9. Roger Wilco

Don't. Betting against your team is bad karma.

10. Iasius

Well, so far, whenever I paid to watch Werder Bremen (internationally) it has always resulted in them losing or at most drawing so far. :( That's why I was considering the betting arbitrage.

11. Roger Wilco

Then watch the game in a sports bar or something and spend the money you saved on beer. ;)

12. HappyDayRiot

I do actually that for ESPN's Saturday evening games. So far it's given me Spurs v United and West Ham v Liverpool both of which were fantastic and cost me oooh the price of three pints and a burger. Bargain.

My friends and I also do a predictions game for the Premier League solely for bragging rights. I spend quite a lot of time bragging actually - I'm pretty good at it.

13. StolenThunder

Hey, there we go.

I bet £2 on Liverpool winning - got back £3.07.
    I bet £2 on the Arsenal, Villa, Bolton, Man U and Chelsea results together - got back £25.95

Not a bad outcome.

14. HappyDayRiot

^ Wish I'd done that. I called all those games right. In fact the only game I've got wrong this weekend was Hull surprise surprise.

Thank you Michael Owen hahahahaaha I like seeing City suffer.

15. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Best derby game in donkeys years that. Absolutely brilliant game of football. Definitely thought we were coming out of that one with a draw. Thank god for Michael Owen (never thought I'd hear myself say that!). :D

16. StolenThunder

Bit of a close call mind - I thought the Bolton/Stoke game was close but the United finale was really exciting, even with just two pounds on it.

Looking forward to MOTD tonight.

17. HappyDayRiot

Bolton v Stoke was close... but I would never, ever bet anything other than a draw between those two at the Reebox. Same goes for most games involving Bolton, Blackburn and Birmingham actually.

I can't wait to relive that derby game later. I also hope Bassong is all right - he took a hell of a hit on the head when he hit the floor.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I see Sol Campbell wants out of Notts County already after playing/losing one game. I've no great love for Notts County, and his signing always did seem like a stupid idea for a league 2 club, but I still thought he'd be there longer than one game! Rumour has it Villa and Spurs are sniffing around (I'm guessing they didn't want him before Davies/King got injured! Part of me wishes County would demand a transfer fee, but they'd probably just shoot themselves in the foot if they did given the wages he's probably on.

Campbell even agreeing to join them must be the dumest move since Beckham decided to join LA Galaxy!

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Hilarious stuff, and so utterly predictable.

20. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Beckham's decision is only dumb in hindsight. At the time he made it, his career, both at international and club level, looked to be nearing it's end, so a money making move to the MSL was a fine last choice.

He then turned everything around but the decision to join LA was already offical.