Aventine the new flagship?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Herbert1, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's not consistent with the depiction of quantum slipstream drive onscreen; as shown, it requires very precise calculation to keep the vortex stable, so the longer the journey, the more difficult it is.

Besides, we already have stories where the Enterprise plays hopscotch across the quadrant -- see Doors into Chaos, for instance. Or First Contact, where the E-E seemingly got from the Romulan border to Earth within a few minutes. It's been a long, long time since anyone's really bothered to obey the injunction of the original TOS and TNG writers' bibles: "Don't treat deep space like a local neighborhood." The UFP and its neighbors are already hours or days apart, at least when the story demands it. At least QSD would be a better rationalization for what's already effectively the case.

2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

The way I make sense of it is that the battle started further out from Earth than what we first saw in the movie, like Starfleet engaging the Borg at Wolf 359. Except Starfleet ships had made great improvements since then and thus, although being no more effective aggressively, were able to last much longer against the Cube than the first attack. We just missed the prolonged battle in between Enterprise setting course and them arriving at the battle because it would have taken too long to show.

Of course, this idea may not stand up too well under close scrutiny but it's how I fanwank it.

3. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

This is how I've always viewed the E's status as "the flagship"; sort of going hand in hand with why all Starfleet personnel now wear a variant of what was once the Enterprise's insignia (an unofficial explanation, of course, but I happen to like it). I just go with the notion that it's going to be that way until another ship and crew distinguishes themselves in a manner that eclipses the voyages of the original Enterprise.

(Not that any such shit is evah gonna happen. Not on my watch! [​IMG])

;)

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except that the insignia of the 23rd-century Enterprise is now known to be a variant of an insignia used as far back as the Friendship One probe in the 21st century: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Image:Friendship_One_logo.jpg Perhaps it was the original UESPA logo, and the Big E's use of that insignia was a tribute to UESPA, perhaps because UESPA was (presumably) behind the program that produced the original starship Enterprise NX-01 (a ship whose own insignia wasn't really adaptable to 23rd-century Starfleet's graphic design style).

I think that's a better explanation for why the whole fleet would adopt it -- because it's a former logo of their forerunner organization. The idea that they're honoring one ship among their number never made much sense to me.

And it might explain an episode like "Court-martial" where we see other Starfleet officers already using the arrowhead insignia. Maybe it was never uniquely NCC-1701's logo to begin with. Perhaps the other emblems we saw on other ships weren't unique to those ships, but were the emblems of particular subsets of the fleet, with multiple ships and starbases using each division's insignia. Maybe Starbase 11 was a command base for the division that used the arrowhead insignia, so all the ships there were part of that same subfleet, and hence all the officers in the bar had the arrowhead emblem on their tunics.

5. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Blasphemer.

6. Fireflywyo300

Fireflywyo300 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

How DARE you not quote your WIKIPEDIA source and their dictionary definition of a flagship, which, if you had written yourself, would have been almost the same! This is an egregious error! Please, please, don't let that happen again.

just kidding.

7. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

LOL! :lol: