ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp4Sqn0eX_Q[/yt]

2. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

I love how Murphy and Lewis look completely different to their film actors, but in the brief half-a-second he appears, Boddicker is clearly Kurtwood Smith.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Usually a rights thing, maybe Kurtwood Smith signed off on them being allowed to use his likeness without him getting paid. Though, to me, it's not an "exact match" just very similar.

4. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it isn't, more than likely Smith didn't sign anything for a brief second in an opening intro (unless there was a specific thing in his Robocop contract saying his likeness could be used in spin-offs), but it is funny that while their Murphy and Lewis almost look like they're deliberately avoiding the actors' appearance, the Guy Who Kills Murphy is pretty obviously based on the Guy Who Kills Murphy in the film.

5. Trekker4747

Well, again, with Murphy and Lewis *any* likeness might mean they'd have ground to get paid for using their likeness. If Bodicker was just in the intro then they might have been able to get away with it for one, quick, shot without paying (or paying much.) But for regulars? They'd have to go extreme.

Same thing with "The Real Ghostbusters" and how far out of their way they went to make the guys look nothing like their movie counter parts (Egon becomes a hipster with red glasses and a blonde pompadour, Peter lankier and doesn't have a face like a catcher's mitt, Ray becomes heavier and a ginger, and Winston more chiseled features and a loss of a 'stache.)

You can't make cartoons of people and not pay them so you make the cartoon versions as much unlike the live-actors as possible. Maybe they went a bit extreme in Robocop but, still, better safe than sorry.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not the fact that they're sanitizing it I have problem with, it's simply the fact that it's something made for kids taken from something made for adults.
    Like I said before, it just feels weird to me when they promote something like Robocop or Rambo for kids.
    I understand what you're saying about giving kids their version, but it still feels wrong to me.
    And I'm not even saying the original version is automatically superior because it's more "adult". Honestly, I tend to prefer it when things are less violent. If I had a choice between something with ton of violence like the original Robocop, or something tamer, like a (good) Disney movie, chances are I'd pick the Disney movie more often then not.

That's not to say that I can't enjoy adult stuff, hell Game of Thrones is one of my favorite shows, but the rest of the material has to be good enough for me to be willing to put up with the violence.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That was partly my point. Rambo makes absolutely no sense as a kids cartoon, because it's a Vietnam war/trauma film, it's adult content throughout. But Robocop is not a violent or adult concept per se, it's just about a cop turned into a cyborg, so there's no problem with making a cartoon out of it.

A film is not "made for adults" just because the screen oozes with blood and sperm. Cut those scenes out, where is the "adult" content?

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it wasn't just the violence that was missing, it was the pain and anguish Murphy felt over the loss of his family and his old life, and the overall tragic quality of the character.

The friendly, happy go lucky Robo we saw in the cartoons and TV series never felt remotely like the same guy, which to me was the biggest problem.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I think Murphy still had tragedy to him in the TV series.

10. davejames

Maybe, but in a very watered-down way.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

12. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Samuel L. Jackson looks like Abe Lincoln there.

13. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Now, I really want to see it.

14. davejames

Hmm, that actually looked kinda good. Certainly seems more interesting than the Total Recall remake, at least.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like a screaming pile of shit. However, they have some decent cast members so you never know...

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought that trailer was better than the first one. It still looks like it will most likely be a Netflix rental for me, but before I wasn't even sure if I was interested enough for that.

17. Trekker4747

Is Samuel L. Jackson trying to sell me on the idea of Robocop, a Capital One Quicksilver Card or to allow the Avengers to carry out their defense of New York? I'm so confused!

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't buy that for a half-dollar.

19. Trekker4747

The more I see the more terrible and generic it looks. I'm not even sure the raw, uncut, cinematic power of SLJ will get me in to see this. Eh, who am I kidding? I'm a movie whore, I'll end up seeing this.

20. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

So, that RoboCop prequel is a BSG prequel in disguise?