Candlestick Auditorium?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

As seen in "Home" of course.

Anyhoo, Memory Beta says that this place was built on the site that Candlestick Park once occupied. Is this possible? 'Cause it sure didn't look like it in the episode. I recognized the skyline of San Francisco, and the Auditorium was right in the middle of it, near the water's edge. Candlestick Park is not near there.

I realize the city could have grown around it in the century and a half since today, but there were recognizable buildings (like the Transamerica pyramid) in the skyline behind the Auditorium...

I'm fairly sure I'm not misinterpreting all this, as I was just in San Francisco a few weeks ago and it's fairly fresh in my mind. Or AM I? :confused:

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'll base this on what I'm seeing on Memory Alpha, as I'm in the middle of watching something else at the moment. In "Home", there's a San Francisco Bay Stadium seen where the welcome home ceremony takes place, but no mention of anything related to Candlestick. Perhaps the Auditorium was a novelist's invention. Memory Beta tends to concentrate on written works, not the episodes or films.

WAIT I stand corrected sort of, after finding a single mention in a different article:

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't recall anything in "Zero Hour," "These Are the Voyages...," or Last Full Measure to say or imply that the auditorium seen in "Home" was the same auditorium in which the Articles of the Federation were signed.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Oops, my bad. I don't know why I got the two confused. :lol:

The one in "Home" is San Francisco Bay Stadium.
    Candlestick Auditorium was never shown from the outside, so it really could be where Candlestick Park was.

:alienblush:

(I do like the reference in Memory Beta about how cold and drafty the area around the auditorium is. 'Cause that sure as hell was true for Candlestick Park!)

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I wished they'd mentioned the Cow Palace. That was the only time I drove into the city, to see Patrick Stewart at a con. When I would go to work or do anything else, I took the BART.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember the stadium described in The Good That Men Do in no way resembled what we saw in "Zero Hour" or "These Are the Voyages". But that novel was as recton-crazy as it gets.

I remember seeing a stadium in Into Darkness when Spock and Khan are leaping between flying garbage trucks. I only caught a glimpse of it, but I did wonder if it was meant to be the one from ZH/TATV. I've also read on TVtropes that the offshore stadium from "Home" is visible at some point too, although I never spotted it.

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Trek has a pretty shoddy record of accurately depicting SF onscreen. In XI, the Transamerica Pyramid is moved to put it in a certain shot, and who can forget Kirk and Spock walking through the Marina in TVH discussing how they'll get back to SF.

The outdoor "Home" auditorium is definitely not on Candlestick Point.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I wish they'd mentioned AT&T Park! :techman: :D

(and yes, I completely disregard any and all notions that baseball has died out in Trek's time. For obvious reasons. ;) )

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

The offshore stadium is there, but doesn't look the same. It's round instead of rectangular.
    You see it for a second as the Vengance is heading towards SF.