A question for the (lazy) cooks...good electric woks?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Nerys Ghemor, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I've had an electric wok for almost 2 years, and thanks to an amateur mistake I've managed to mess up the non-stick coating. So, I'm looking to get a new one, but I'm thinking I can do better than the one I bought on Wal-Mart.com, now that I have 2 years to know I'm actually going to use the thing, and frequently (typically once or twice a week). So, whatever I get needs to be durable as well as do a good job cooking.

I know a lot of you purists would use real woks, but I'm lazy and I don't want to go that route.

Where can I get something for a reasonable price, that works well? Any buyer testimonials from you guys?

Also, a related question...if you're using a wooden spoon (which is what I think I'm going to have to use from now on to not screw up the non-stick coating), how do you properly wash the thing to make sure all the residue and bacteria come out? How long can you keep one before it's not safe to use and you need to replace it?

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a Westbend electric wok from Target I think I paid about $75 for it a couple of years ago. It's not the greatest, but it gets the job done.

I have the same concern as you in regard to the wooden spoons, so I use a high temperature rated silicon spatula which works well and have had no issues with the non stick coating.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Not trying to sound stupid, but exactly what kind of spatula is this you were using? I'm not the most cooking-savvy, so seeing links and/or pictures always helps. ;)

4. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's weird, I've never seen one of those before. I'm unclear as to how they are any simpler or easier than a real wok. :vulcan:

5. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    ThoughI've seen electrc woks before, I don' see how they can be simpler to use than a regular wok.

6. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Indeed. It seems more complicated than the real thing - especially to clean?

7. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral