So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Reading Brinkmanship now and it is a VERY interesting story. I rather like the cold war style storytelling, and Dax getting a chance to shine rules!

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm closing in on the last hundred pages of TG,TB,TU and I'm considering starting ST:TN Seize the Fire. I know it's gotten a lot of bad reactions on here, but it's been sitting unread on my Nook since the day it was released and I figure I should at least give it a try since I bought it.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I finally got my copy of Persistence of Memory. Loving it so far. Good job Mr. Mack :techman:

4. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

With Hurricane Sandy taking my power away for a few days, I was able to finish out Obsidian Alliances and Shards and Shadows, so far I've really enjoyed the MU stuff. It's been a fun ride. Hoping to dive into DS9: Warpath soon!

5. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Started on TPoM yesterday. Also about half-way through Only Superhuman.

6. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Finished Immortal Coil last night, starting Order 66 today. On deck is Persistence of Memory.

7. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished reading The Glactic Whirlpool by David Gerrold and StarCrossed by Ben Bova.I haven't bwwn able to find Persistance of Memory at the bokstore right now.

8. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Just picked up The Twelve, by Justin Cronin. A sequel to The Passage. Good stuff so far, enjoyed the first once a lot.

Nice to see non-sparkly vampires ;)

9. ShaunKL

ShaunKL Cadet Newbie

Trying to get Halo: Primordium finished before the game comes out on Tuesday. Then I'll finally get around to reading The Hobbit.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished up Pakleds: Work is Hard by Greg Cox in ST: Seven Deadly Sins. I'll admit I wasn't quite sure what to think when I first saw a Pakled story in the collection, but Greg Cox did a really good job with them. I thought we got some pretty good world building for them, and the story itself was pretty good. It was nice to get a TV series era TNG story. My rating: 8/10.
    Went back to the Urban Fantasy anthology Dark and Stormy Knights.

11. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Typhon Pact: Brinkmanship today and really enjoyed it. I also read the first collection of Fringe comics today. I'm about to start Burn Notice: The Giveaway.

12. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks. I confess I was a bit daunted when Margaret Clark called me up and said she wanted 20,000 words about the Pakleds.

"The Pakleds, really?"

Now it can be told: that story was actually based on a rejected pitch for a Voyager TV episode. Needless to say, the original pitch focussed on B'Elanna, not Geordi, and involved some random Delta Quadrant race, not the Pakleds, but when I was desperately searching for an idea for the "Sloth" story, I went through my (copious) file of rejected Voyager pitches and found a plot that could reasonably be converted into a Pakled story . . . .

Beyond that, the whole thing is basically a retelling of the sinking of the Titanic, with the Enterprise cast as the Carpathia, racing to the rescue of a foundering ship.

Of course, in this version, the Carpathia gets there in time!

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know there were Pakleds on DS9 occasionally during the series, did you intend for any of them to be the Rorpot crew?

14. Greg Cox

I didn't have any specific characters in mind, no.

I mostly just watched "Samaritan Snare" again--after tracking down an old VHS copy at a local used bookstore!

15. Sho

VHS in 2009/10? :wtf:

16. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Currently into Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Persistence of Memory. Unsure of what next after that.

17. Greg Cox

Yep, it was cheaper and easier than buying a boxed set of DVDs.

Rest assured, I'm slowly converting my Trek library to DVD, but it's on an "as-needed" basis. At the moment, I have all the movies and TOS on DVD, but the later series are represented by a fairly random assortment of episodes on VHS, which you can still pick up pretty cheaply on-line or at this cool used bookstore in Havre de Grace.

I think the last VHS tape I picked up was that Voyager episode about the dead astronaut, which I wanted to rewatch before writing Rings of Time. Again, it was cheaper and more efficient than buying an entire season of Voyager just to research one episode.

18. Sho

19. Greg Cox

Haven't done the Blu-Ray thing yet. Baby steps. :)

Remember, you're talking to someone who doesn't own a smartphone, has never read an ebook, and wouldn't know how to text, tweet, or torrent if my life depended on it.

Although I did switch from floppy disks to flash drives about a year ago . . . .

20. Sho

I was actually dead-set on DVD being the last physical medium I buy into myself, but with the streaming options still being so unsatisfyingly low-bitrate, I picked up a Blu-ray player just for TNG in the end. Haven't regretted it though, it's been about a decade since I watched the show from start to finish, and with the quality difference there's plenty of new details to oogle at - so I'm watching one episode per week again, like in the old days, seemingly neatly filling the gaps between the season set release dates that way.

Anyways, going widely off-topic, sorry ...