STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've only seen it three times, but I only thought one Klingon took off his helmet?

2. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

This one did, cause it was just lame. You know they're not going to kill him yet. They telegraph it throughout the movie they can cheat death. You didn't know that the first time you saw TWOK. But I guess it moves so fast, maybe the average viewer doesn't notice.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Death doesn't come with swells of music.

Unless you were trampled by a marching band.

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Here is my review of the movie.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Which would be totally awesome.

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that doesn't diminish Kirk's sacrifice, because he certainly didn't know death could be cheated.

The only thing that added any sense of finality to Spock's death in TWOK there the rumors Nimoy didn't want to make any more Trek movies. To that en, Kudos to Meyer for wanting to leave it more open-ended.

Further, if they did telegraph anything throughout TWOK, it was that they could create life out of nothingness. Genesis planet, Spock's death, Genesis planet, hmmm. Just took another movie for it to happen in that case.

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Now I would NEVER condone rape; But I gotta say, my childhood kinda actually enjoyed it this second time around.

I may just be developing an abusive relationship with JJ.

8. ConRefit79

Well, Meyer said he did not add the torpedo on Genesis. That was Bennett.

As for life from death, they also said it destroys the original life to be replaced by new different life. But you make a point I never associated with Spock death in that movie. I never took it as a way out. And I was too young to know Nimmoy was rumored to want out.

9. ConRefit79

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

10. Brannigan

Brannigan Commander Red Shirt

I was surprised with this movie. I was underwhelmed by Star Trek 11 and was apprehensive about this one. Nevertheless I thought Into Darkness was much better than Star Trek 11.
    I felt in some respects that the plot was similar to Skyfall: Used by his government then discarded the villain seeks revenge against those that did him wrong by using his enemies methods and technology. Granted it wasn't a carbon copy but it felt close.
    Like most, I had read the rumors that the villain was Khan and this was a nice (though not complete) surprise. The definite homages to Wrath of Khan throughout were a pleasant touch, although beings that Khan and his followers are still technically alive it would have been nice to see them taken to Ceti Alpha V. McCoy's cliches were funny, as well as Scotty's comment that seemed to echo most fans thoughts about the Enterprise being submerged in water. Sometimes I felt the CGI was overdone, especially in the chase through San Francisco at the end. It was good to see engineering looked more like an engine room than a brewery.
    Overall I grade the movie as a B+ because it felt more like Star Trek than Star Trek 11. It fails to get an A from me because of the video game like action sequences that got annoying.

11. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And also "remember".

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You need not look further than to the discerning hard-core fans of "real" Trek on this forum to find people who couldn't put 1 and 1 together about the blood and Kirk's death.

13. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

:lol:

It's over a week now since I've last seen the film, but going by the OST I'd say there is a beautiful and subtle peace of music in that scene.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was pretty obvious when I saw it on opening night in 1982, thanks. How bright does one have to be, to get it?

15. Franklin

You're right, it was Bennett. My mistake. Meyer was the one who wanted it more definite.

The very earliest treatments of the TWOK didn't even include Spock, because Bennett was so sure Nimoy wasn't coming back. Offering him a great death scene to kill the character off intrigued Nimoy and got him to come back.

There are two main reasons for making the death scene less certain. The first was negative audience feedback to the more definitively done version. The second was it's said Nimoy had a better time than he thought he'd have and came to realize this would proably not be the last Trek movie. (I'm not sure how promises to direct Trek movies worked into the equation.)

Well before the release of the movie, the "secret" of Spock's death was thoroughly spoiled all over the place, even in the pre-Internet era. The media began hedging on his death being irrevocable.

(If I'm wrong about any of this, someone will be along shortly to politely correct me. :))

16. ConRefit79

^
    Well since then, Nimoy insists he never wanted out. He talks about the trouble he had getting a call back about making ST:TSFS cause the CEO had heard he wanted out and wanted the character to die. That made the CEO afraid to let him direct the 3rd movie because he had heard Nimoy hated Star Trek and wanted in his the WOK contract to get out.

And I didn't even know there was another film coming until it was out.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

All true.

18. Franklin

It's likely TWOK would've been written without Nimoy if he turned down the death scene. Whether he was just playing Hamlet or not, only he knows, but it would be safe to say TWOK re-enthused Nimoy about "Star Trek". He apparently did have to convince Eisner of his real desire to do TSFS, but a lot of that was probably just showing he did sincerely enjoy it again since doing TWOK.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

You must not have been looking in magazines like Starlog, then.

20. ConRefit79

From time to time. But I don't remember seeing anything about it. Of course my sister was born that year, so we were a little busy.