Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Yes, I think we are set on these two. There likely won't be much change in the poll results in the intervening two weeks. Plus, it gives folks more time to prepare if they want. Your case is a good example of that.

Good luck on the move!

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Neroon. Things should be relatively smooth. I'm just not looking forward to hopping on a plane again after going from DC to Washington to Atlanta to Washington all in the span of a few weeks.

3. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Thanks for rescheduling this.

I really wanted to participate, but have been a bit under the weather this weekend. Hopefully by the 26th the doctors who spent most of the day on Friday poking & prodding me will have me in better shape.

4. Neroon

I still think at some future date it would be a cool thing to watch an episode of B5 and an episode of DS9, back-to-back. I don't know the DS9 library as well as most others in here, so it'd depend on you to pick out an episode that would be similar to a corresponding B5 episode.

5. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I'd suggest against any arc-heavy episodes, in that case. The desire to watch the next from the same series can distort your opinion of the episode from the other series you're trying to watch.

I had that problem with "Survivors"/"Visionary" once.

6. PKTrekGirl

Yeah...we could pick a B5 and DS9 episode and watch both. That would be fine with me and I'd be glad to assist.

But let's be sure and make it episodes that will NOT lead to any WWE silliness. Lindley might have something in that regard - stand-alones might be better than episodes that might lend themselves to any of that who-stole-from-who stuff.

Or we could pick a theme. For example - the treatment of religion in both shows. That will give us something to compare and contrast, without getting into the WWE stuff.

Or maybe we could do a Phi Corps ep and a Section 31 ep, and talk about how those two organizations impacted the shows or something.

Anyway...there are lots of possibilities.

7. Neroon

Something tells me your laying down the law the other day ought to go along way towards preventing any further flare ups for a time. Let us speak no more of it. :D

Yes, that was a sharp observation.

Good one... except we ought to use the Psi Corps. ;)

But that will be for later. Right now I just want us to pull off the one we've planned for.

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

There's couple that spring to mind right off the bat.

The Way Of The Warrior or Call To Arms
    Severed Dreams

And

Bar Association
    By Any Means Necessary

9. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

7 pm EST, 4 pacific.

is this on?

10. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm good. Somebody please remind me, though?

BTW, for those interested:

I just got an email from Jaclyn, Captain of the Scripts Team. She said it was okay for me to let people know that Volume 13 will be available to order on January 23.

Woo-Hoo!! This one's got some *great* episodes!

Jan

11. Neroon

Yes, that is correct.

Alllright!!!! That's next week!

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Cool on the script books, though I probably won't be able to put the money together for them.

And not to sound like a broken record, but just to confirm, the following is the plan, right?

Saturday, January 26th 7pm EST / 4pm PST

7:00 pm - "Passing Through Gethsemane"
    8:00 pm - "The Corps Is Mother; the Corps is Father"

13. Neroon

Hirogen... that's the master plan.

14. PKTrekGirl

1. Glad that The Corps is Mother, The Corps is Father made it in! YAY!

2. What is this 'Scripts Team', Jan? And what do they do? Is it fanfic or what? Can you give me the 101 version, please, as I know nothing. Thanks! :)

15. Neroon

Seeing as this thread is conducted solely at the pleasure of the forum's moderators.... how could we do otherwise? ;)

A couple of years ago, JMS (J. Michael Straczynski, series creator) began to sell collections of scripts for the episodes which he has written. Each volume is made by cafepress, and contains not only the scripts but essays jms writes at each volume's beginning. Each also contains a brief intro to each episode. Some have extras of memos, pictures, etc taking you behind the scenes.

Much apologizingz, but Zathras must go have supper. WIll talk more later

16. PKTrekGirl

^ So are these potential NEW episodes? Or are they the scripts from existing eps?

17. Neroon

They are all scripts from existing episodes. However, in a few cases we see an alternate script, or a shooting script possibly, which will vary from what you remember. It's things like that which make them fascinating collectibles for me, at least.

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Battlestar Galactica is probably my favourite show of all time, but B5 is probably my favourite sci-fi show of all time. Does that make sense to anyone? I'm 21, and when B5 came out, I was about 10. I've never watched it until this year, but god damn - the whole scope of it was so epic, I can't believe I missed out on it first time through.

19. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Neroon has covered it well, PKTrekGirl . Some of the other things we've seen are JMS's notes on some of the proposed episodes and even a very early treatment for Crusade when TNT was being finessed into picking up the fifth season. In the first book we got an early draft of 'The Gathering' which featured Velana, Kosh's mate. Obviously, she was dropped and there were a lot of other changes. There are some amazing stories about the cast and crew (Lyta's Lingerie, anyone?), loving tributes to Rick Biggs and Andreas Katsulas.

The Scripts Team are the folks who deal with Cafe Press to get the books out and who handle customer service for JMS. Jaclyn is the Captain of the team.

And I'm not trying to sell anybody anything but shortly after the last volume of the B5 series comes out, they'll be going away forever. Volume 13 becomes available on the 23rd and Volume 14 is due out in March. There'll be a 15th volume given free to those who buy the 14 volume set and it's slated to have some very cool things including an outline of the five year arc had Sinclair stayed on.

Jan

20. PKTrekGirl

^ Can I still order the entire set? And if so, where?

This sounds really interesting. :)