why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 9, 2013.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I could see a Predator (Yautja) Trek cross-over more easily.

Some of Duras bunch, a few Hirogen, Nausicaans, Jem Hadar etc would be featured in a plot similar to "Tsunkatse."

I might want to add Carpenter's Thing and some Founders to keep things interesting.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oooh the Thing - I hadn't thought of that one.

3. Noddy

Noddy Captain

But then, IMO, it's just like with the Predators and the Hirogen. The latter are so much like the former anyway, you might as well just use them in a story where you wanted scary, psychotic hunters stalking the characters. So why do a crossover with The Thing when you could just as easily utilize the Founders for a story involving creepy shapeshifters?

4. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

But when it comes to personal opinions that predict the future success of a corporation you're not employed by, or seems to make decisions for them, I think that kind of opinion should be kept to oneself, regardless if you think it "keeps the conversation going". That doesn't sound like a good conversation.

I'm not against the posting of opinions, just this kind of opinion.

5. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

So, you must have been really upset with the other threads that were commenting on and/or predicting the success or failure of STiD. No, I am not an employee of the company, but I am a consumer, so I think that gives me entitlement to my opinion.

6. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

This is a discussion forum - it's all about people's opinions. If you don't like someone's opinion you're welcome to discuss why. You don't get to say which opinions are allowed.

7. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

To see how they may react to one another. The Founders mimic life, not infect it. Having the two try to absorb one another would be a plot point. Having Jem Hadar and Hirogen looking frightened segues into the Predators.

8. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

They also did a 'Aliens vs Star Trek' story in one of the first SCE books.

9. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

If they can do Apes/Trek, I wonder how long before Alien/Trek? (surely not too long now)

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it's hard to tell with these inter-company crossovers. IDW got DC to cooperate on Star Trek/Legion of Super Heroes and Boom! to cooperate on ST/PotA, but that doesn't guarantee that Dark Horse would be willing to cooperate on a Trek/Aliens crossover.

An idle thought: Now that Dark Horse is losing the Star Wars comics license to Marvel, they might be interested in getting their hands on the Trek license to fill the void. Not sure whether that would improve or worsen the chances that they'd cooperate with IDW on a Trek crossover. Might be interesting to see what they'd do with Trek, in any case.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

True !

My personal take on crossovers is that I don't like them. There's very few franchises that have compatible worldbuilding...

12. bbailey861

Two questions, Christopher. When does the license come up for renewal and if they were going to make a play for Trek, why would it make sense to cooperate with IDW on a Trek crossover. At the very least, I'd suspect they'd want to hold out until the license was renewed, regardless of who is to be the winner.

That gets me to thinking of another question - is IDW even interested in renewing their license (that anyone knows of)?

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have no idea. I'm just a freelancer, and I've never worked in Trek comics, so there's no reason I'd have that information.

As I said, I don't know whether it would help or hurt the chances of such a crossover. In theory, it might be a chance to show what they could do with the property; conversely, as you suggest, they might be unwilling to cooperate with a competitor.

Of course, it's pure speculation that they'd be interested at all.

14. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn.. that's my Jack Reacher/Star Trek pitch going in the bin...

15. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. The only ST/other franchise crossover I particularly enjoyed was Ishmael.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

What would you say IS compatible with Trek ?

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek is doing very well for them. They have a steady seller, and that's a good thing in today's comics market. As long as the license remains affordable for them and CBS is interested in continuing with them, I don't see any reason why IDW wouldn't renew it.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  18. bbailey861

I am glad to hear that as I read (I'll be damned if I can remember where) that the sales were not that great. I know certain covers have had 2nd printings (ya, I'm buying those,too) so at least some of them are doing well.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would think if Dark Horse was interested in Trek, and wanted to do a crossover with one of their other properties, it would make more sense for them to wait and see if they got the liscence. Then if they got it do the crossover without having to deal with another company.

20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

incorrect post

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016