Time travel involved in NuTrek 2?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jaro Stun, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Jaro Stun

Jaro Stun Captain Captain

As many of you, I have watched the new trailer several times.
    One thing that I have noticed is - there is a clearly starfleet vessel crashing into the sea.

Screencap:
    [​IMG]

Look at the nacelles of that ship.
    Maybe that is just me but they remind me much more of the Rhode Island / Sovereign class spearheaded / arrowheaded nacelle style of late 24th century than of anything from 23rd century, original or NuTrek.

Could it be that in this movie we get some unexpected visit from 24th C? Maybe even "prime" timeline?

It's fun to speculate...;)

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those nacelles do look quite Enterprise-Eish. My first thought on seeing the screencap is that it's a design similar to this movie-era fan one, the Akyazi-class:
    [​IMG]

I really really REALLY doubt there will be any time travel in this movie, though.

3. 3chordboy

3chordboy Commander Red Shirt

no :p

the engine on the left is round. the one on the right looks like its been crushed/ exploded giving it the spear/arrowhead shape :)

4. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Its a newer ship, not a TNG ship but a ship which has a "hybrid nacelle" which seems to be between a TOS and a TMP nacelelle, as it has no forward buzzard collector

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

No.

The ship looks the way it does because they didn't want to create a design that looked like it came from a '60's TV show.

Also, the Starfleet of this timeline is clearly more advanced than the Starfleet of TOS because of Nero's incursion and the scans the Kelvin took of the Narada before it was destroyed. That was one of the reasons why the timeline needed to be rebooted.

6. F. King Daniel

No, it looks more advanced because it's a film made in 2012 and not a 1966 TV show. It's no different to recasting the characters. In-universe, the technology is the same just as Pine's Kirk and Pegg's Scotty look the same to TOS Spock as Shatner and Doohan.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not quite. I was giving the in-universe reason that Orci and Kurtzman gave. Clearly the technology is not quite the same.

9. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I still think that all of this is set in the Enterprise timeline, the one that was created by the events of First Contact. That would explain all the differences that were there before Nero screwed up everything.

10. F. King Daniel

That's just a handwave, like the refit of the Enterprise in TMP. It doesn't explain things like why San Fransisco or Shi'Khar look very different to how we'd seen them before. Just like how a refitted Enterprise didn't explain why the Klingons looked different in TMP, why Vulcan looked so different to "Yesteryear" and why nothing at all, no control panel no display graphic no prop on the ship or at Starfleet resembled the TOS series that was supposed to have been just 2 and a half years prior.

I guess you can say the new Enterprise is bigger and has dozens of shuttles now, was built years later and in Riverside etc, but the aesthetic differences (i.e. control panels of blinking coloured squares in TOS vs. swirly blue graphics of STXI, how the various props look) are no more an in-universe change than Kirk's eye colour, Scotty's hairline or Uhura's dress size.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They won't do two time travel movies in a row.

12. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

So I took the image and traced the obvious lines. I left out the obscure to leave to your interpretation. It is obviously a new ship. Those pylons are not broken (unless they both bent the same way upon impact- highly unlikely). The nacelles are newer than the Kelvin type as you clearly see the humps like on the new Enterprise's. And they are cylincrical- not rectangular. This is evident in the highlighting and shadows.

Okay- so I can't get the spoiler coding to work---- tried for 10 mins- just click on the link to my Wordpress... ugh. http://patrickivan.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/star-trek-into-darkness/numovie/

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No such thing.

14. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

To me I read it as, at some point in the movie the Enterprise (or other hero ship...) is badly damaged and crashes into the sea.

The heroes not on that ship react with shock, the villain gloats about his victory, there's a few seconds of "stunned movie silence" then the Enterprise rises from the ocean (as seen in other parts of the trailer) and kapows the enemy ship.

Basically the same as the last movie, but with water replacing the atmosphere of Saturn or whatever planet the Enterprise was raising out of, I can't remember now.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Saturn's moon Titan ^^^