Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Captain Craig, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

@Merlanthe-My commentary on 5x3 was that so far the Ancients are most powerful race mentioned. The Asgards are the most powerful with which we've been allied.
    The humanoid race that is transcending to a higher plane though has a very strict Prime Directive for a non-coporeal race(who at once were coporeal since that character chose to "step down" to that plane and give up his powers.

Now I did in a later episode write up switch the two up Ancients and Asgards but I went back and edited that post.
    Ancients, Asgards, Apophis, Anubis---got to keep all the "A" characters straight.

Thanks for the spoiler code Lindley, I'm guessing that's a response to help answer something else in the thread that I shouldn't read yet.

6x3-Descent: Or what I'd like to think should be subtitled "The Return of Thor pt.1". So the Gou'ald mothership of Anubis that Thor had been tortured on and patched into it's systems has appeared in Earth orbit(although they don't know this right away). It seems Thor's conscience has taken control of the ship. Anubis had to flee the ship but set it to self destruct which Thor stopped and then redirected himself to Earth(although I have to wonder why not back to the Asgard fleet? Busy with Replicators?) The surprise is that despite having scanned the ship for lifesigns and found none Anubis left some Jaffa aboard to make sure the ship detonated. They were in Kel'nor Re(is that close? the deep sleep) which is why the sensors didn't detect them.

The Jaffa are able to direct the ship into Earth's orbit where it crashes into the Arctic Ocean. SG-1 is trapped with the Gou'ald mothership starting to fill with water. It's about now that they connect the dots and realize Thor is in control of the ship. They seek to retrieve his conscience from the computer and see about "downloading" him into a new cloned body. The team escapes in some gliders. I really liked this episode. Jonas is stil trying to fit in and his gimmick it seems, for this episode, is that goof grin of doing something for the first time.

6x4-Frozen: It's funny enough that the episode had an X-Files vibe to it with the "trapped in the ice contagion in the Arctic" but then it has actor Bruce Harwood of X-Files famed Lone Gunmen in it. That couldn't have been a coincidence could it? Then I see our guest doctor Francine Michaels and realize she looks very familiar but I can't place her. So when I IMDB her after the episode it's Venus Terzo who I know from voice work as Blackarachnia in Transformers Beast Wars(and met at BotCon 2002) and Jean Grey in X-Men shows among others.

My enjoyment with casting aside the episode throws the placement of humans on Earth into quite a topsy turvy situation when a humanoid is found buried in the ice, essentially in a state of suspension. She can't communicate directly but her unthawing unleashes some type of fast acting virus akin to Meningitis according to Dr.Frasier. Our new friend, Ayana, seems to realize she is the cause of this and realizing the kindness they dealt her does so in return. Apparently she can heal our infected SG-1 and research team. Doing so causes her harm though. Carter, Michaels and Frasier are all trying to hypothesize the ramifications of who she is, how seemingly human and yet 50 million years old and bouncing around the Antarctic when it was part of Pangea!! The big question this raises is, as stated by Carter, we had thought all the human-esque races we've been meeting were all there cause they were displaced humans from Earth via the Gou'ald and the Stargate. Ayana, however, might mean that humans ON Earth are not native! O'Neill says Darwin would be crused. She ends up dying while saving everyone....except Col. O'Neill who is in dire shape. The Tok'ra offer him a chance to join with them, which he refuses. However, he's taken anyway at episodes end anyway.
    So it's a giant ass cliffhanger without actually saying "To Be Continued".

The one question I would still have about the "where did humans come from" then would be: What about Neanderthals? Is this why no definitive "missing link" has surfaced? Where Neanderthals then the native species on the planet that transplanted humans then killed out? Even still Neanderthals were pretty close to "humans" if "humans" were indeed alien? We are seeing variations in "human"(humanoid or humanesque) physiology. Are those do to environmental factors? Someone playing us like lab rats and altering DNA and dropping us like test tubes around the galaxy? All same starting point but different points along the evolutionary ladder? Afterall Jackson seemed to transcend like that one race?

All 4 episodes on this first disc of Season 6, first one on Sci-Fi channel were great imo!! Great start!!

2. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

So you meant Ancients not Asgard. Thanks for clearing that up though in your commentary for 5x1 (same post as 5x3) you refer to the 'robotic spiders that the Ancients fear so much'. I assume you meant Asgard there which is why i was confused about which race you meant in your commentary for 5x3 (my fave episode yaay) and also why i said youd been referring to Asgard as Ancients for the last couple pages.

I did read this thread all in one late at night so the 2 instances of refering to Asgard as Ancients probably multiplied in my sleep deprived mind sorry :p

Also no you definitely shouldnt read what Lindley put as its a spoiler that serves no purpose other than to state the obvious to anyone who has already seen the series in its entiriety. I assume since Lindley felt the need to remind of this that he thought my post was somehow spoilerish even though it isnt.

3. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Yours was not, but these threads have a tendency to accidentally stray into spoiler territory if they even get close to the line. I was trying to preempt that.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, it's really easy when one person talks about "the thing they did when they did that thing", and then other folks start providing details that turn into spoilers

Always good ideda for someone to pull it back before it crosses the line.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

You ain't seen nothing yet. The first half of season 6 has some amazing episodes, possibly some of the best of Stargate.

6. Captain Craig

6x5-Nightwalkers: Or as I was thinking of it as "Invasion of the Body Snatchers-esque". So the dying rich man Conrad who was implanted with a Gou'ald has been cloning more symbiotes via his company and implanting them in others. I don't get why the cloning was happening and it's never explained. Are these unique symbiotes now or just paler copies of the one in Conrad? Anyway they take over this small town and start building a ship to leave. One of the scientists, not yet "infected" with a snake, figures out something is wrong and calls Carter in a panic. This is how SG-1 arrives in the small town to investigate. All but O'Neill whose still off being treated by the Tok'ra. Carter and Teal'C couldn't initially detect these larva Gou'ald cause the human hosts do not have Naq'uida(sp) in their blood. The scientist has smuggled out an immunity, see poison), from the lab and mails it to himself. SG-1 doesn't know this at the time but are searching his house when the package is delivered. The Gou'ald townsfolk capture SG-1 separately but not before Sam gives herself the shot of "she isn't quite sure but why not". It's a bit of loose ending and while I liked it overall for the creepy factor I felt this episode was just a bit of a step down from the first 4 really well done episodes? Sam just injects herself not knowing at all what is in the syringe. Why was Conrad's symbiote cloning itself? To what end?

6x6-Abyss: The return of Michael Shanks as Daniel so soon? Movie work not taking off like you'd hoped? This episode plays catch up with O'Neill whose been blended with a Tok'ra larvae and was off on a mission against a Gou'ald system lord named Ba'al. I am curious if this is meant to the be the Ba'al worshipped as a false god in the Biblical sense by Israelites at times in the Bible? Seems a good guess given Gou'ald diety identification.
    Anyway O'Neill is captured but his Tok'ra snake flees his body(how long can they survive that way?) as he's captured. Ba'al begins to torture O'Neill for information but Jack can't remember anything. The last thing he remembers is being near death in Antarctica. Ba'al keep killing him painfully and reviving him with the sarcophagus. A transcended Daniel begins to appear to him in an attempt to comfort him and show him how to ascend. Daniel now apparently also adheres to this non-interference rule that we've seen.
    The Tok'ra tell SG-1 that O'Neill has been lost on a mission but they know not where. The team begins to try and reassemble what the Tok'ra know of last known sites by his Tok'ra host in order to locate him.
    Jack also starts to see another energy essence, that of a woman. Who makes sure she isnt' seen by Daniel. Who is this?
    The SG-1 team manage to free Jack and get him back to SGC for treatment. A good episode and we see another system lord. If I'm right on Ba'al I'm curious to see what other dieties the show might dive into. We've got Egyptian, Asgardian, Jewish and Babylonian so far that I recall off hand. Asgardian really stands out as the odd man out as the others are all geographically tied.

6x7-Shadow Play: guest starring Dean Stockwell, nice. This was also just prior to him being a Cylon pain in the ass. We return to Jonas Quinn's home planet, surprisingly to us all. They really are insisting on Earth jet propulsion in order to boost their air defenses. It seems the other nations on the planet have signed a non-agression pack and Quinn's former government, the Kelwans(sp), fear an imminent attack is coming. We know they don't know how to handle naquida safely based on what happened with Daniel and why Jonas is with SGC. Seems Quinn's old professor/mentor Dr.Keran is suffering from naquida poisoning. We don't know this just yet, early on. The poisoning is causing him to have dellusions. He fully believes there is an underground resistance to the government. He's been smuggling naquida out of the research center to them.
    The Kelwan's also try enticing Quinn to come back, get a full pardon(cause he's seen as a traitor) and help them out now that he's had exposure to Earth technology. He refuses.
    The government of Kewan knows Dr.Keran isn't likely sane as two of his colleagues suffered the fate of naquida poisoning. He ends up falling off a ledge while being followed/chased by a government official.
    Quinn convinces the Kelwan's he'll have a better chance to survive on Earth with doctors and treatment there. I'm convinced they let him go cause they knew he mentally was gone and saw no loss in him going.
    I'd like to see him, Dean Stockwell, back, healed somehow(it is sci-fi) but know he's destined to be a Cylon soon so...

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

Shadowplay just seemed kind of pointless to me in the end, but was a pretty enjoyable episode just for Dean Stockwell. Nightwalkers was pretty fun, especially being such an X-Files BodySnatchers story instead of the usual jaunt to a medieval planet.

8. The Wormhole

Abyss is totally the highlight of thie batch, a really great episode and probably one of the best Jack/Daniel interplays. Nightwalkers and Shadow Play are pretty good too.

9. Captain Craig

6x8-The Other Guys: It was all a dream episode which essentially renders discussing it moot. Except to say it was fun to see John Billingsley.

6x9-Allegiance: Was a good episode that I hope has the lasting ramifications of creating a stronger, unified front against the Gou'ald with the Tarrea, Jaffa rebellion and Tok'ra as is implied. This would be a case of all time backfire by the Ashkra assassin. It may not matter but would've been nice to know which System Lord sent him. Afterall the whole thing started when Anubis attacked the secret refugee base of the Tok'ra. I guess we can assume it was Anubis? Whoever it was though did perhaps get some gain in that the Alpha Sight is now compromised. Also about 2/3 of the Tok'ra were killed in the ambush, dwindling their numbers greatly. Meaning the rebel Jaffa who'd been using the planet will now also have to find new refuge like the Tok'ra.

6x10-Cure: We've made first contact on another planet that again seems willing for trade. They are fairly primitive but have one interesting thing to offer in trade. An inoculation that makes one's immunity system impervious to disease. What we later find out is that this planet, whose never been offworld, has a Gou'ald queen. They've been harvesting and synthesizing the properties of healing into their inoculation cure. However, if one doesn't stay on the inoculation it damages your natural system and you'd have no immune system. We also find out that this queen isn't Gou'ald but the originator of the Tok'ra. Good timing right, since 2/3 of their number were just wiped out??!! One of the Tok'ra sacrifices herself so the queen may have a host where the queen reveals she is dying and hold no malice towards the native population. She encourages as her dying wish the Tok'ra to create a remedy so the planets people can get back to having their own immune system take over.

6x11-Prometheus: A very nosey investigative journalist is sniffing around top secret Air Force projects. She confronts Carter whose off base running personal errands. She drops enough hints, namely Project Prometheus, that makes Carter aware there is a security leak. Hammond gets the President involved and the journalists editor gets a call from the President essentially ordering the story shelved. An elaborate compromise is reached to allow a film crew to document the ship and then, when the time is right, the station can air the footage as a Global Exclusive. What we find out is that all of this is an elaborate scheme by Col. Simmons in league with Gou'ald infected billionaire Conrad to get off planet. The Prometheus isn't yet perfected for interstellar travel but Conrad with his Gou'ald knowledge can get it working. The editor at the station is bribed into allowing the film crew to be agents of Conrad and they take over the ship. One of their demands is that Simmons, whose in custody for his prior debacle, be brought to them as well as Conrad.
    The ship gets into orbit and Conrad does engage the engines and the ship X-303 goes interstellar. During the retaking of the ship though the engines are damaged and SG-1 is now left stranded light years from home. Conrad and Simmons appear to be dead, well Conrad for sure but Simmons was sucked out an airlock now possessing the Gou'ald. Those guys don't always stay dead so I'm hoping for more John De'Lancie down the road.

6x12-Unnatural Selection: Now I get the joke in the forum header: Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise! :lol: It never really occurred to me that was a quote just perhaps the mods being silly when naming the biggest non-Trek sci-fi sub-forum on the site.
    So a reconstituted Thor shows up on the bridge of the X-303 asking for SG-1's help. He tows them back to Earth(rather quickly I might add) and repairs the ship while stocking it with the lowly projectile weapons and food stores they need. Seems the Asgardians have been overrun by the Replicators. They have a plan involving time displacement to trap the Replicators in a type of slowed down environment that would allow the Asgards time to find a way to combat them as real time progressed. This episode reveals that the Replicators are recreating themselves in the image of their own robitic human-esque creator. They now take human looking form, at least the few that have done so. It's this revelation that shows us the 5th version they feel is flawed, cause he acts too human. My mind jumped back and forth to him being a type of HUGH from the TNG episodes or Johnny Five from the 80's film Short Circuit and his quote "Number Five is Alive!" O'Neill uses #5's naivety against him and manages to use the Prometheus(cause it can't be Enterprise) and the Asgard weapon to ensnare all the Replicators in the time displacement field. I just feel this isn't the end of our humanoid Replicators and there will be hell to pay for betraying #5's trust.

All good episodes even if Other Guys was a meaningless episode.

10. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

No; only the final scene was a dream. The rest of the episode happened.

11. Captain Craig

^^^
    Really? That last bit then threw me cause I felt that implied the whole thing was a dream.

12. The Wormhole

The Other Guys has some of my favourite of dialogue in the series.

Dr. Felger: "At least my heroes actually exist. If we were home you'd be at a Star Trek convention dressed like a Klingon."
    Dr. Coombs: "Vulcan! And how can anyone call themselves a scientist without worshipping at the altar of Roddenberry?"
    Dr Felger: "'How do we solve this one, Captain?' 'I don't know, something to do with the tachyon emitters, perhaps?'"

Dr. Coombs: "Oh, we might as well be wearing red shirts."
    Dr. Felger: "You know, I don't get that."

13. gturner

gturner Admiral

They had a lot of fun with that episode. :)

14. Captain Craig

6x13-Sight Unseen: The mysterious artifact brought back that causes problems episode format again. Early on the episode offered an interesting duality. Taking Jonas at his word Hammond at least orders a battery of tests on him. After that, instead of realizing their medical tests aren't always right the ensuing doubt and reasons for possible delusion start. As far as this type show goes it was decent but mediocore series to date. I did like the line about the aliens being from Melmac and O'Neill acting like he'd never heard of A.L.F.

6x14-Smoke & Mirrors: Jack O'Neill murderer of Senator Kiney...seems so. Jack has been on one of his fishing trips, alone of course, and returns to the SGC to find everyone in hushed tones shocked that Kinsey has been assassinated. Hammond walks in with MP's and arrests Jack, begrudgingly. Shortly after Major Davis shows up with seemingly positive proof that Jack did this via video and recovered weapons.
    So while Jack is in custody the SG-1 team is pulled off active duty in order to try and clear Jack's name. Their investigation leads them to the mimic devices from the alien foothold situation from a year or so ago. The devices create a holographic image of a person, and O'Neill had been one of these. Come to find out Kinsey isn't dead but in a coma and his people used this "death" as a means to an end. Once SG-1 saves the day and uncovers the traitors from within Kinsey swoops in claiming credit. Nice guy. Great episode.

6x15-Paradise Lost: Maybourne returns...on Jack's back porch having poached a hot dog off the grill!!! He says he's heard about Simmons and the stolen Prometheus. Says he knows what Simmons end game was and for a Presidential pardon he'll swap out. Seems Maybourne has an artifact that is used to power a one way gate on the world Simmons was headed. It allegedly sends you to a cache of weapons but as Maybourne knows(and Simmons didn't I guess) is that it's really some allegeded Gou'ald Paradise. Maybourne double crosses SG-1 but Jack manages to tackle him as they both fall into the portal. A rugalla(sp) type lettuce apparently causes paranoia but we don't find that out right away. Jack and Maybourne are stranded alone for over two weeks till finally a Tok'ra ship rescues them. A good episode in that it allowed for Jack and Harry to bury the hatchet. This episode felt like something of a send off for Maybourne. Off course he could come back from his Tok'ra island planet of exile I suppose if a story dictated it but I like this closure for him if it is that.

6x16-Metamorphosis: Nirrti, that psychopath Gou'ald mad scientist is back. Jack let her go and look what she's done, as expected, began experimenting on people. Nirrti has been manipulating a humanoid/humanesque race at the DNA level again. This has caused horrid mutations in them. Jack makes a few Superman cracks that are funny. SG-1 feels of course responsible and tries to save them but Nirrti has them fooled. They turn over SG-1 to her. Which at this point the director frames what has to be a top 10 opening shot in the series to date: Are you trying to seduce me Mrs.Nirrti? With the inhabitants new mutated powers they finally see into Nirrit's mind and release SG-1 and the main leader snaps Nirrti's neck....damn. Sometimes I think they kill too many Gou'ald. Seems that a few only get 2-4 appearances before they die and only Apophis gets to live on. Liked this episode but for Nirrti's death.

6x17-Disclosure: A dominated clip show that really reveals that Senator Kinsey is beginning a power play. He's moving from the appropriations committee to foreign ones. He assembles the diplomats from England, China, Russia and France together to spill the beans on the Stargate project. Kinsey turns the gathering into a private type hearing where he wants to discredit Hammond and remove him from the SGC and the other leaders need to see him as the powerful one making that move. Hammond has an ace in his sleeve and calls upon Thor to show up and seal the deal for the SGC.
    For a clip show it actually moved the plot along from the Smoke&Mirrors episode. Curious where this Kinsey plot is going now.

15. The Wormhole

Disclosure is pretty damn good for a clip show. Plus, it's got Thor's finest moment in the series.

Thor: "Senator Kinsey, O'Neill has requested I send you to a faraway world for your actions here. But I am reasonably certain he is speaking in jest."
    Kinsey: "I'm sure he is, Commander."
    Thor: "Supreme Commander."

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Nit pick, it was the United Kingdom not England. There is a difference.

Still when SG-1 did clip shows at least they tried at times to advance some part of the shows mythology.

17. Captain Craig

4x18-Forsaken: SG-1 comes upon a crashed alien ship on a planet by happenstance. Around the crashed ship are some humans defending their position from a type of lizard-esque humanoids. The ship is called Cerebrus and its discovered that it was a prison transport ship. The humans say they are at war with the others and the attackers are prisoners of war. Who in the crash captured some of their weapons to use against them. Truth is actually the other way around and it's pretty easy to see that from about act ii, not so much foreshadowing as laying flares. Not an overly great episode really. It felt like a very stock 3-4 set piece show. I also gotta ask is O'Neill being a tool or were new writers on board for S6? Cause he's looking through a telescope in the daylight and seems to ask why he can't see anything. It's been established 2-3 times prior he likes to gaze with his own private telescope on Earth.

4x19-The Changeling: Is this SG-1's version of DS9's Far Beyond the Stars episode? That went through my head, fair or not. I was not as impressed with it though. Daniel Jackson is back as well in his all powerful do nothing form.

4x20-Memento: Finally after two episodes I wasn't as excited about this one was fun. Not real sure about the title though. The episode starts with the Air Force having fully crewed the now sub light powered Prometheus, thanks Simmons. Again, it felt like the shake down cruise of the Enterprise-B with O'Neill essentially playing the part of Kirk. Except there is no Nexus. The engines malfunction dropping them out of warp early. They do a quick jump to the closest planet that may have a Gate, but if it does it's covered up. The planet in question just so happens to be having some political turmoil of it's own and the appointed/elected ruler and the military leader are at odds. The arrival of the Prometheus doesn't help. It's discovered that Horus once ruled this planet and indeed with some research the team locates the Gate. I'll chalk this up to much experience at this point. I really enjoyed the episode and hope this planet is revisited with some purpose since we know their tech isn't up to speed.

4x21-Prophecy: On a routine mission the SG-1 team comes across a planet still struggling with Gou'ald enslavement. We find out that it's Baal the old Canaanite god. The citizens leader says they want to be free but Baal has planted a spy among them to report back to him. Meanwhile Jonas has come down with a tumor in his brain that is allowing him to see possible moments into the future. Jonas still feels his need to prove himself to O'Neill and keeps delaying Dr.Frasiers attempts to remove the tumor. He feels having it will help the team on this mission. His vision however are not perfect and I'd say are actually a distraction. SG-1 returns safely home despite visions by Jonas of destruction and his tumor is removed. O'Neill finally gives Jonas the approval he's long sought by affirming his value to the team, vision or no vision.

4x22-Full Circle: So the title refers to our return to Abydos? Is Daniel Jackson coming back? Both, what is full circle? A great episode but I'm loaded with some thoughts, well questions. Ones I don't really want direct answers to but I want to get them out there. So Anubis is physically in some type of half Gou'ald/half Ancient type physiology? His knowledge of the Ancients is also why he's so powerful yet also limited? His his symbiote still alive or just the human host figured out how to ascend? Also, it seems that Anubis pulled a Dantooine of sorts out of his ass and destroyed all the citizens of Abydos, right? So the population we've come to know since the '94 movie is now wiped out, gone, genocide, right? The last remnant is that Skaara has also now ascended? Daniel Jackson also decides he's had enough of this pacifist lifestyle that he was accustomed to and that the "Rules of the Ancients" encouraged. He attempts to go all Jedi Master on Anubis and has he's charging up his fists of lightning his pulled away by the Ancients or destroyed by Anubis? I was unclear on which really.

Another point I'm pondering is that the book found with this eye of Ra indicates that the Ancients are just, what, humanity 1.0? That some plague was sweeping the cosmos but a select few found a way to Ascend. The humanity 1.0 concept kinda reminds me of nuBSG with Kobol and a cycle that repeats(if it's a cycle at all), that aside. The Ancient that fell in love with Sam and gave up being an Ancient I thought alluded to the idea that he took human form cause Sam was human. Leaving the impression his original non-ascended form could've been anything else. Since the markings on the book were Egyptian is that the writings of the Ancients? Are the Ancients actually the gods that gave the idea of reincarnation to ancient Egyptians and the Gou'ald usurped that? No, unless the ancient Egyptians were given something by the Ancients that caused them to leave. We know the Ancients have their "Prime Directive" of non-interference cause they shared knoweldge and that lead to the destruction of a world, yes? Could this be the cycle? Could that world have been humanity 2.0 for instance? Making humantiy of Earth several versions down the line? The Antarctic evidence suggest humans have actually inhabited Earth before we now know? Were these the Ancients? Humanity seems not to actually be native of Earth, or it's suggested. So much in my head right now this has to read like ramblings instead of coherent thought, sorry if you're still reading at this point.

Season 6 concluded---should I expect Michael Shanks back and Corin Nemec to depart at some point next season? This also wasn't a traditional cliffhanger but yet, it was.

18. gturner

gturner Admiral

I really like the acting in Memento from the planet's leader. Even if you took the message as well-used in just about every sci-fi show, the delivery was excellent.

There's a quick exchange in Full Circle after Daniel attacked Anubis directly and zipped away. Anubis' loyal (and irritating) Jaffa bows deeply and asks Anubis if he defeated Daniel, and Anubis says that it wasn't his doing. So Daniel was prevented from destroying Anubis.

19. The Wormhole

Possibly just RDA making stuff up on the spot. He's known to do that.

When originally written, the episode was believed to be the series finale, so Full Circls was meant to reflect that.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

If I was Anubis, I wouldn't admit to my henchman that someone else bailed me out. It sort of punctures the "all-powerful" image.