Lost Girl Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Feb 5, 2013.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I suspect he is involved with that creepy mass grave somehow.

The standalone case was good-- both amusing and tragic. The goofy suburban housewives were funny, but I felt sorry for the eternally adolescent Fae who just wanted a mercy killing.

I've been hoping that Hale would return, but that was definitely not what I wanted to see.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was he away filming Saving Hope?

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Relax. I'm the one first mentioned the beak nose back when. You share no guilt.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was kinda sad seeing what being Ash has done to Hale.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    "Baseless? THIS IS THE INTERNET!"
    [​IMG]

6. The Borgified Corpse

I've been re-watching early Season 2. Bo's attempts to win back Dyson remind me of my equally unsuccessful attempts to persuade my friends to watch Lost Girl.
    "I've gotten as far as cleavage."
    "Honey, that's further than some of us ever get."

Actually, now that I think about it, what's the deal with Bo never lifting a finger to actually get Dyson back?! I mean, it's not like it was a big secret what happened to him. Dyson told her what the Norn did. But it took Kenzi to think of the chainsaw option while Bo spent most of the season moping and subconsciously blaming Dyson. But, I suppose this is like Angel's gypsy curse on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's not supposed to make literal sense. It's just a metaphor for the guy that randomly doesn't like you anymore.

7. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Get him back from what?

Bo didn't know that Dyson "couldn't" love any more, just that he "didn't" love her anymore so she moved on with Lauren.

IIRC, even by the beginning of season 3 Bo didn't know why Kenzi went to visit the Norn.

Now... once she discovers what Dyson gave up for her, she's in a fuddle. Go back to Dyson because he loved her... or stay with Lauren because she loves her.

Either way, someone Bo loves, who loves Bo, is going to get their heart broken.

8. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I pick Dyson. I don't hate him, I just like Lauren more... :shrug:

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Dyson has had me ever since the cheesy "Wolves mate for life" line in season 1. :alienblush:

10. The Borgified Corpse

Bo did so know that Dyson couldn't love any more. At least, she should have. Dyson tried to make that quite clear in "Something Wicked This Fae Comes" & "I Fought the Fae (and the Fae Won)." It's not that he wanted to stop loving her. His emotions were mystically taken from him. Her attempts at seducing him back were doomed to fail. The problem was mystical. What she needed to do was at least ask Trick if he knew anything about a mystical cure.

I would have appreciated even a token scene of her asking Trick about it and Trick either being evasive or brusquely telling Bo that the Norn is dangerous and she should leave it alone.

I'm just not sure whether Bo's lack of action on this front comes from ambivalence regarding her feelings for Dyson or one of those moments where she's just being kinda dumb. (Much as I love Bo and as much as I think she's a bastion of humanity, she can just be infuriatingly dumb at times.)

And whenever I see Bo & Lauren being romantic, I just feel like the two of them are speaking a different language. As nice as she is, Lauren feels like she doesn't fit in with the rest of the group. To make another Buffy comparison, she's the Riley Finn of the group.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think she's more the Giles of the group, the character whose superpower is being really smart. And I like it that she and Bo come from different worlds, and that Bo likes her because of it. Bo is this ultra-sexy, ultra-charismatic, ultra-tough character -- basically she's both the quarterback and the head cheerleader -- and the person she finds sexiest is the science nerd. How often do you see a show embracing an attitude like that, that smart is sexy?

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Almost never. Action and glamour are admired over education and intelligence.

Yeah, I know it was a rhetorical question....

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^And that's the whole point, that it's uncommon, and thus refreshing to see in this show.

14. The Borgified Corpse

I'll admit that, sometimes, it works. Anna Silk & Zoie Palmer seem to be working their asses off to make it work. But I think there's a certain underlying chemistry that's just not there, mostly because I'm still not sure the writers or Zoie Palmer have completely worked out just who Lauren is.

And Lauren is not the Giles of the group. Trick is the Giles of the group. That one is just a little too obvious.;)

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

So Lauren's, what, Robin Wood?

16. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Lauren is Tara and that makes Dyson = Oz.

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, Dyson and Oz are both wolves! :)

Although Lauren is pretty much the opposite of a witch.

18. The Borgified Corpse

As far as the love triangle dynamic goes, I suppose Tara/Willow/Oz is a pretty good comparison to Lauren/Bo/Dyson. (Although, I'd say Dyson still has an outside chance, whereas Oz never really did.) Would that mean Tamsin is Kennedy then?

But as far as how well Lauren integrates with the rest of the group, I stand by my Riley comparison. (As much as I liked him, he never fit either.) At her best, maybe she's like Cordelia or Anya. (Decent characters that wouldn't really be spending time with any of the rest of the group if she wasn't dating one of them.)

19. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tamsin = Kennedy; yeah, that works.

And you're right. There's nothing wrong with Lauren (or Riley, for that matter) but that chemistry just isn't there the way it is with Dyson or even Tamsin. I also agree that the two actresses are working hard at making it work, but it just comes across as forcing a pairing that feels inauthentic and dull, to me anyway.

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Y'Know, I get why there are so many Dyson advocates, but for the life of me I can't figure out why so many people think Tamsin's good for Bo. If Tamsin spontaneously combusted in front of me I'd look for some marshmallows and a stick.