Excelsior Class/Enterprise B Deckplans Blueprints?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by NervousEnergy, Jan 4, 2014.

1. NervousEnergy

NervousEnergy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've searched high and low, on and off for years, for deck by deck plans of the Excelsior class starship (or even the Enterprise B with it's bulgy hull).

The Excelsior is my absolute favourite class of ship in the Trek universe, and I think it's a crying shame that it seems so forgotten about!

Does anyone, anywhere, have even an inkling if there exists a fan-made deckplan of this ship? It'd really make my day (and complete my blueprint collection..!).

2. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Um.. you know, there's a stickied topic at the top of the Fan Art forum with links to a site that has a bleep-ton of blueprints... pretty sure there's an Ent-B and a couple of Excelsiors at the site.

Commodore_Sarvour likes this.
  3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Welcome to the BBS. If you are looking for accurate blueprints of the ship, you should check out the Excelsior size thread in the Trek Tech section. Blueprints of the actual model (with the "bumpers") do exist and have partially been illustrated there. ;)

Bob

4. NervousEnergy

Hi Cobalt Frost! Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my OP... I'm not looking for the top view/bottom view etc blueprints of the ship. Cygnus-x1 is a great site, and I'm well aware of it; but it doesn't have the actual deck plans of the ship, which is what I'm after.

Hi Bob! Thanks; I've been a lurker here for a long time. The Excelsior size thread is really interesting, and I've been following it for a while. But unless I'm mistaken; that thread doesn't have any drawings of the deck sections; it just has MSD-style crosssections!

The only reference I can find (I think) to proper deck plans of the Excelsior, is from the Excelsior Technical Manual thread by the talented Praetor, who mentions he's drawn up deck plans. That, however, was in 2009.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it would be interesting to have an update on that.

6. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

Look closer

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-8.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b.php

7. NervousEnergy

Maybe I'm not being clear in what I mean by deck plans? Those are MSD style cross sections, not top-view deck plans.

I'm looking for something like these . Notice the "onion slice", showing each deck individually. That is what I mean by deck plans. Not cross sections.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. It would be impossible to make deck plans of the ship at it's official 467m size, unless one drew the bridge as a closet. Strategic Design's refit Enterprise blueprints had to fudge quite a bit to fit everything into 305m.

9. NervousEnergy

I presume that no one has ever created Excelsior-class deck plans?

10. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

For what it's worth, I took some measurements from these images:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-4.jpg

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-6.jpg

The saucer is 200 meters wide, so by adjusting the zoom on my screen until I had it at 200 millimeters, I was able to measure the bridge at either 18 meters or 30 meters wide, depending on which level you make as the bridge deck.

One the front-view, the #5 labeled as "Main Bridge" is pointing to the sensor dome. Presuming the bridge it not just in that dome, it has to be the next level down. But if memory serves, the command area of the bridge had over-height ceilings, so one could make the bridge on the second level down.

Either way, there's plenty of room to make the bridge larger than a closet.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those are fan-made schematics, which enlarged the dome somewhat. On the actual model, it's much smaller. Here is a scaled-to-the-inch comparison of Strategic Design's 1701-A bridge deck (which I suspect is fudged a bit to fit, but without measurements of the STV bridge set I can't be sure) and Doug Drexler's Enterprise-B MSD from Generations. As you can see, the bridge module (which would seem to have surrounding rooms, NX-01 style and a TNG style conference lounge in the rear) is massively undersized for a supposedly 467m ship.
    [​IMG]

This thread goes into detail about the Excelsior class' scaling issues.

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the most straight forward answer to your question is that they don't exist.

Internal deck by deck plans have never been both produced and made available to the public in any form.

Given the size of the ship it would be a hell of a lot of work.

:)

14. Thomas Clifton

Thomas Clifton Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Nervous Energy, Figuring out the Excelsior is really easy. The saucer section is exactly one corridor thick plus two rings of quarters larger in circumference than the Enterprise. It will have the usual 10 decks in the saucer. Deck 6 and 7 takes up the thickness of the saucer with decks 8 through 10 being the decks below the saucer. Deck 5 is Junior Officer quarters and is about the circumference of the Enterprise's Deck 6, Deck 5 is about the circumference of Enterprise's Deck 5, Decks 1 through 4 is the sections about the Saucer section and is the location of Senior Officer Quarters (Deck 4), Deck 3 is the Officers Mess, Deck 2 is the Flag Bridge and CIC. Deck 1 is the Main Bridge and Briefing Room 1 is one the back part of the bridge like it is on the Enterprise-D, if you use the Deck layout for Undiscovered Country. If you go by the In Search for Spock Excelsior, It is the same bridge as the Enterprise-A has. The torpedo launch Deck is in the Dorsal (neck) right above the secondary section in the two indention's, one per side. If you look on the ventral (bottom) of the ship on the rear section you will see two nozzles, these are the rear facing torpedo tubes. The Excelsior apparently has two shuttle bays. The standard Enterprise type shuttle on the fantail of the ship and there is one on the rear end of the last few decks (the extremely large opening). This lower hanger bay is exposed to space and only has a barrier field to keep the atmosphere inside. The large bubble that is in between the nacelles is the location of the Transwarp part of engineering, one the deck below it is the main warp engineering with the horizontal intermix chamber. The Excelsior has two warp reactors. If you look at the top of the ship you will see two impulse crystals. Under those two areas is the two vertical intermix chambers that leads to the bottom of the ship where two Enterprise type warp cores is located at with 48 anti-matter containment bottles like those on the Enterprise (I am still referring to the A). All the crew quarters can be found in the saucer, with life support systems, water tanks, organic and inorganic storage units, AC plants, Impulse engines, Nuclear Reactors, battery compartments, labs, six 6-man transporters and at least two to four 20 or 22 man emergency transporters. There should also be a bulk cargo deck. The secondary hull will be the location of generators, shuttles and hanger bays, cargo deck (like the one on Enterprise, but twice as large). Excelsior has five dual phaser mounts in hemispheric layout (top and bottom) on the saucer and at least two dual phaser mounts in hemispheric layout (top and bottom) on the secondary hull. Some pics I have seen mentions mega-phasers (Reliant roll bar phasers), but I seriously doubt that Excelsior carried them.

15. NervousEnergy

Thomas Clifton, thank you for your very detailed and valuable reply.. even if you did resurrect a two year old thread! ;)

I'm mainly too lazy and untalented to recreate them myself, but your description is certainly interesting. Especially that bit about the lower hanger deck exposed to space... never ever really thought of that before, but it certainly explains that odd area.

(in two years I've still yet to find deckplans for the Excelsior, ah well)

16. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah I went looking for something like that last year and had no luck. I figured it'd be similar through the saucer at least to the Enterprise A, just slightly bigger and if I wanted to do something elsewhere on the ship I'd basically have a bunch of leeway as to the design. If I had more time I'd love to work on them as I think that'd be a labor of love, but not with my job hunting going on it won't be happening.

17. Thomas Clifton

I'm busy working on deck plans for the Hornet carrier right now. I have the initial plans laid out for the main deck of the saucer. I plan to start it after the semester is over. If I finish they, I will get info to mail them to you. They will be too large of a fill to send via computer. Of course the plans will be I interpretation seeing that very little information is available on line except for cross section. Cygnus-X1.Net has some plans available, all you have to do is go to the website that the creators of the Constitution Refit has. The plans is in blue boarder or red boarder by Strategic Design (www.strategicdesignpub.com) this link will take you to Cydonia 6 Ink.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

19. Thomas Clifton

I have started with deck 6 and 7. With the expansion from the diameter of the Enterprise saucer to the diameter of the Excelsior, there is a lot of additional space which needs to be filled. I am going with the double vertical intermix chamber that is found on the Excelsior NCC-2000 instead of the single one on the NX-2000. I am also going to use the NCC-2000s bridge. It is looking like all of the labs will be on deck 7, all the officers will be on deck 5 with additional crew quarters to make up the difference between the 430 crew of a Constitution refit and the 800+ of the Excelsior. Right now I am around 85% complete with deck 6 and 7. Decks 1 through 5 should not be a problem, nor should 8, 9 and 10. It will slow down when I get to the secondary hull. I will be going into unknown territory with that section. I will not be using the transwarp Excelsior. It will be the non-transwarp Sulu Excelsior.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral