Project: Full Circle Mission Length

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Paris, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I forget exactly where I read it (I believe it's in Kirsten Beyer's Full Circle), but I believe the Full Circle mission back to the Delta Quadrant was planned as a three year mission. As the fleet launched in mid-2381, that would put the mission end in mid-2384, which is where DMack's Cold Equations trilogy ended.

Has it been stated anywhere that the mission to the DQ may be extended?...or maybe even permanent with crew cycles every few years for those who want it, so that they don't get too home sick?

I know that the VOY-R books are still in late 2381. With the other 24th century books going into 2384 at this point, I just don't want Voyager to be left behind the way the DS9-R story was left in 2378 before it skipped ahead and left a lot of story points dangling...

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, the chronologically-last mention of the Voyager fleet is in Indistinguishable From Magic, set 2283 (Barclay was beamed back to the AQ) - but IFM has since apparently been removed from the novelverse continuity.

I don't think Voyager needs to keep pace with the Typhon Pact stuff in the alpha quadrant. Let them tell their own stories.

3. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    Except there'll be a problem when the next big crossover of series including Voyager comes into being. Again there might be years and plot points skipped.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Who says such a crossover is inevitable?

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I retain it in the novel 'verse continuity, for what it's worth (especially since Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn go out of their way to acknowledge it several times, and even resolve one of the book's own minor continuity issues). While the Ogawa chronology is a bit hard to reconcile, the only major issue remaining, I think, is Leah Brahms, and while it vexes me to lose their relationship upgrade, she and Geordi breaking up again doesn't seem that implausible...

6. Paris

IFM is not hard to reconcile with the current novelverse continuity. The various discussions about it seemed odd to me, as the 'continuity errors', other than the Leah Brahms thing, are hardly note worthy.

I'm not saying another 24th century crossover is inevitable, but it seems like another one will be around at some point. Destiny was amazing and the Typhon Pact stories have been great. Destiny featured the TNG cast, Titan, Voyager in a cameo, and Ezri from DS9. I remember when it was on the shelves, how much people wanted more info on the DS9 characters we didn't see and what had happened to them in the intervening years (2378-2381).

I love the pace Voyager is going at, but with only one book a year (and none in 2013), it won't take long for the Voyager storyline to fall several years behind the other 24th century books, and preclude involving them in what's going on in the AQ.

Of course, if the plan is for Voyager to establish a new "home base" in the DQ, such as New Tallax, and operate out of there for the forseeable future, then Voyager not being in the AQ won't be a problem.

I just don't want another situation like the DS9-R "Ascendants" situation, where we have to skip ahead a few years and miss out on all the story possibilities for the Full Circle crews..

7. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty much the same concerns I had in my "is voyager not as popular" thread.

They are leaping too far ahead with TNG in my opinion.

8. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not particularly concerned with keeping Voyager in sync with the other series, but I do think the main series have been going to quickly lately, mostly out of a forced desire to reach 2387. Why rush?

9. rahullak

I think it is inevitable. Maybe not in the next few years, but surely there should be at least one over the next ten or fifteen (real) years? It is unlikely that there would not be one. And if Voyager is not in sync with the rest of the series, then we might have a problem again.

10. Christopher

Well, if it's ten years ahead, there's a lot of room for things to change, so there's no way to predict what the status quo will be by then.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even if we did get a crossover that pulled some of the characters from Voyager out of the AQ and forward in time, that doesn't mean that the regular series wouldn't continue on at it's own pace. They could keep things vague with maybe just a few hints for future books. I know they jumped ahead and stayed there with DS9, but there's nothing saying that would have to be the case with Voyager.

12. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Logic would dictate that the voyager novels will follow the same path as the DS9 novels.

What's good for the goose....

13. rahullak

All I'm saying is, it needs to be in the back of the minds of TPTBs that Voyager is behind in story time and needs to catch-up somehow at some point.

14. Christopher

^Why does it "need" to catch up? Prior to Destiny four years ago, the various series did fine taking place in their own separate time frames. DS9, SCE, and Gorkon were hovering around 2376/7 but not exactly in sync, VGR was in 2378, TNG and Titan were in 2379/80 but not exactly in sync, and New Frontier was wherever it wanted to be. Destiny aligned the majority of the 24th-century series for the trilogy itself, but that was meant to be a special event, not a permanent status quo. Afterward, the series began to go at their own separate paces again for a couple of years; even the first four Typhon Pact novels were spread across nearly two years, and only two of them happened around the same time (but had zero story connection to one another).

As things presently stand as of the most recent installments, TNG is up to late 2384, DS9 is up to late 2383 (not counting the epilogue of Raise the Dawn, which is a year later), TTN is in late 2382, and VGR is in late 2381. So the four current 24th-century series are all spaced about a year apart -- or at most two are in sync. So VGR isn't that much of a standout.

15. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

^I think the point is that if we get another Destiny-style special event, and we have an editor who feels the need to pull Voyager up to date for example, we might find that it gets cut off mid-storyline (a la DS9 with the Ascendants storyline - which has never since been fully returned to, although the first TOS novel this year did visit the prehistory of it), which would be jarring for some readers.

16. Christopher

^"If" is not a guarantee. There are always possibilities, to coin a phrase.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And if such a jump happened right now in Voyager, things would be left unresolved. Really now could be a perfect time for such a hypothtical jump, though I don't see the need for one.

18. Christopher

^Well, remember, Kirsten's VGR novels began with a single book that resolved the dangling threads from prior books and then jumped forward over two and a half years to synch up with Destiny. So there's no reason she couldn't do the same again if she were asked. Just because the DS9 jump left threads unresolved, that doesn't mean every jump has to.

19. Paris

^You're right. IKWT (In Kirsten We Trust) :techman:

20. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

True, she's done a great job. But her "catching up" section in "Full Circle" was a pretty "clunky" read.

I think it's time to let go of this lock step coordination of the different relaunches. Voyager is out there away from the AQ, so let that story develop at its own pace, I say. :D