Should the Sarah Jane Adventures continue?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by EJA, Apr 20, 2011.

?

Should the Sarah Jane Adventures continue?

Poll closed May 4, 2011.
  1. Yes, they should find a way

28.8%
  2. No, let it end as it is

71.3%
  1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

In light of the tragic news of Elisabeth Sladen's untimely death, I'm wondering whether they should end the series now, or, as other people have suggested, bring in a new character or another classic series ex-companion to replace Sarah. Personally, I favour the former option. I loved the show, but it simply wouldn't be the same without Lis.

2. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Well it's already been brought up elsewhere.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

4. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I say yes it should continue in some form, but this series should be limited to whats filmed already and a specfic tribute thing.

5. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe that Elisabeth Sladen had the energy and the strength to make the show work in the first place. For that reason if they replaced her even with another ex-companion, it would be a shadow of its former self - a hollow exercise which would not last long.

What they should do is give some of the young cast members a couple of seasons in the Tardis. With the pain they're in, they'll be needing a Doctor.

6. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is certainly enough chemistry between the other actors to fuel an ongoing show but it's just so sad to think of the characters carrying on without her.

Should they 'regenerate' her as a different actress like they did in Lexx and obviously the Time Lord characters? I'm not so sure. I'd love the character to live on somehow but she isn't a Time Lord and some might think of it as being disrespectful. I'm not sure that Lis Sladen would have thought of it that way mind you, since the character (as well as the actress) has brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of children.

I do recall a young actress who at the time I thought, gosh she looks like a young Lis Sladen. Shame I can't recall who she was!

7. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

I want the show to continue because I love it, but ultimately I think it's time for it to end. The kids are getting too old and it just won't be the same without Sarah Jane. Having said that, I'd love for any or all of them to show up on Doctor Who in either a guest or a recurring role (especially Luke or Clyde).

Definitely looking forward to the final 3 stories being broadcast, and possibly they could wrap the series up in some way with a final story that doesn't involve SJS, but honors her and yet makes it clear that she is still, in-universe, alive and well.

8. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

According to Blum's blog, the first four episodes and the final two of the season were filmed. This is a good thing, because that means the final story of the season would have a finale feel to it anyway.

But the fact remains this is a popular show and the supporting cast deserve to continue in some way. Obviously not as The Sarah Jane Adventures (and I'll drop a TARDIS on anyone who suggests recasting!) but they could call it 13 Bannerman Road and have Clyde, Rani and a new third character (I believe Luke had been written out by this point anyway) carry on Sarah Jane's mission. The connection to the franchise would be maintained perhaps by keeping K-9 (if there isn't an issue with the Australian series), or by having Katy Manning make occasional appearances as Jo, since she has already been re-established. Sadly, there aren't too many earth-based companions who actually ended up back on earth. Liz Shaw, yes, but after her you pretty much have to go up to Tegan Jovanka and Ace (if the "Dorothy" mentioned in Death of the Doctor is indeed her). Blum suggests Donna Noble, but no - doing that would violate everything that had been done with the character in Journey's End and after, and anyway Catherine Tate could well become the new star of The Office before long.

Frankly, and I don't mind sounding like I'm speaking out of turn here, considering the BBC had already renewed SJA for a 6th season - it was supposed to move to the new studio later this year - I think Lis Sladen would have wanted her young co-stars and the production team to keep their jobs. It can be done, and I have faith that RTD will find a way to make it work, if the decision is made to continue in some form.

Alex

9. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I couldn't disagree more. The most respectful thing to do is to let the character die too. It's not right to have anyone mention "Oh that Sarah Jane, off investigating in Siberia like the headstrong woman she is...".

The sad fact is we're all headed in the same direction. In many ways, The Doctor's speech to her in her first reappearance about how he doesn't want to see his companions grow old and die is why it's so important to accept her loss, off screen and on screen. To pretend her character is still alive would be a wonderful illusion... but it ultimately hurts us and dishonours the memory of her.

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I'm sorry, but what the fuck is with this thread? Lis hasn't even been gone for 24 hours, and you're already coming up with this kind of stupid shit? Have some respect.

11. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Totally in agreement.

12. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

OmahaStar, you are indeed disrespectful of your betters. This thread is a perfect tribute to Ms. Sladen. As everyone who's ever worked on stage or screen knows, the show must go on. As others have pointed out, Ms. Sladen would surely have been concerned at the effect of her passing on the employment of her castmates and crew. These speculations are in the best tradition of the actor's creed.

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm - up until your comments, everybody else WAS being respectful. Pot - kettle - yadda yadda.

14. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

It is safe to say that Liz would want people to continue living their lives even though she is no longer with us. What better way than to continue SJA in some form and let the show continue to inspire children and open their young minds to endless possibilities. I am sure she would want that.

15. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Please, everyone, let's not fall out with one another in this difficult time.

16. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Sorry, but for the most part, what we're all asking is: what would Liz want? What can be done that best honors the woman and the character she played? If you think that's "stupid shit" I think that it's you who is out of line.

Agreed.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I share Omaha's concern, that it is too early to discuss this, however, I look at the fact that she was already leaving the show at the end of S5, apparently, and kept her illness a secret, and it suggests to me she knew what was coming, and she didn't want her tragedy to spoil the show for the kids.

I don't think allowing the character to live on is at all disrespectful, I think it's a tribute to her, just how important to the Universe her character of Sarah Jane is, because of the years of work she put into the character.

I have no opinion on continuing the show at this point, the wound is far too fresh for discussions of this nature, IMHO. I believe Lis would want what was best for the children, and it's far too early to guage their reactions

18. chardman

Well, if she really was leaving at the end of series 5, and seeing as how the Beeb has already greenlighted a series 6, one can only assume that TPTB have already come up with a plan to continue the series without her, making this whole discussion rather moot.

19. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I knoiw im in the "continue" camp, but can I just stress I dont wish to see her recast or regnerated in anyway.

20. chardman

I posted this in the memorial thread, in response to a link to a CBBC tribute page, but am re-posting it here, because it's relevant.