TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a very regular TNG-watcher. It's not uncommon for me to put in TNG before I fall asleep. I've seen every episode many, many times because I used to have it on while I was studying throughout college. Unfortunately, there's really nothing "new" to be gained from watching and rewatching episodes anymore, but I still do :).

2. duchess

duchess Cadet Newbie

Hi

Im Lyn and live in Kent. I have mainly come on here for advise and hope you will be able to help me.

Anyone know about the next generation 3 tri-dimensional chess game from franklin mint. I have one but in a bit of a state the box is a bit mouldy, 2 x 22ct gold plated pawns missing and 3 a few other bits missing. Would like it to go to someone who knows about the game and have a keen interest in it.

Someone said it was rare as its the square bottom one tng and not the tos.????

Thanks, lyn

3. datafan

datafan Ensign Newbie

Howdy folks. My name is Chet and I am a big Star Trek TNG fan. I only like the TNG series and can't get into the original or the many other Trek type shows. I would say that Data is my favorite character by far. If I had to have a second favorite it would be Picard. I live in Oregon and live a boring life.

www.myspace.com/oregun

4. Loqutus

Loqutus Lieutenant Red Shirt

I am a 47 year old Star Trekkie from way back. TOS is and always will be my favorite series. I enjoyed MOST of TNG though. I picked Locutus (Loqutus) as my Yahoo name a long time ago because I feel life has assimilated me unwillingly. I am a very private person and dispise having to go out in public. Since I am not independently wealthy and must work. I feel like a Borg drone. NOT in control of my destiny. Also, since everyone else got the good Kirk profiles before I thought of it, I came up with the next best thing.;)

5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

It's honestly my favorite series, as much as I love the original. I suppose that has a lot to do with the fact that it was the Star Trek I was most exposed to when I first started getting into the whole thing.

6. gypsyaly

gypsyaly Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, all. I was so excited to find a message board devoted to TNG. I first caught the show one night, flipping through channels; I must have been maybe 8 or 9 years old. I had seen some TOS episodes before and always liked them; I remember the first person I saw as I flipped the channel was Geordi; his visor caught my eye. I remember asking my mom, who are these people? But I watched the episode (wish I could tell you which one it was); and I kept watching; the reruns of the first couple seasons were on weekdays at 7pm. And new ones were on Mondays at 9pm. I watched the rest of the time it was on the air (I think I must have come in on Season three). By the age of 13 in 1992 I was a die hard fan, and attended the TNG 5th anniversary convention, and saw them all on stage together!
    went to another convention when I was 16; unfortunately I drifted away from it a bit in my 20's, but I'm back into it hardcore, now. It's just something that never leaves you I think.

7. TariAdama

TariAdama Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Battlestar Galactica. Rank: Maj. Tari Adama
    Hello Everyone I am Tari...

I grew up with TNG because I as born in 1987 so yeah literally grew up with it.. LOL!:: I loved TNG simply for the reason of the growth of Picard and Crusher..LOVE THEM!!!!!

Star Trek was the first thing that got me interested in Sci-Fi then I migrated to Stargate and then over to the new BSG (Tears for BSG) so I am a regular Sci-fi nut.... lol!!

8. Iruka

Iruka Ensign Red Shirt

I'm Iruka, 32 and female, from Utah.

Growing up I had an aunt who had watched original Trek as a teenager, who showed me episodes in syndication and took me to see the movies in the theater; she and I watched almost every episode of TNG as it aired. Besides that, she introduced me to the Trek novels of Diane Duane and bought me my first movie novelizations, and I learned to love reading by plowing through Trek novels - both TOS and TNG, as they came out in the late '80s and early '90s - by the dozens. About the time TNG ended, I outgrew Trek (or so I thought...), gave away my dozens of novels, and spent a decade or so watching anime instead. I caught a few episodes of Voyager and saw Generations in the theater and First Contact on DVD, but until recently I hadn't seen a single episode of DS9, and knew nothing about developments in the last two movies.

About nine months ago, for some reason, I got interested again, and have been catching up by watching Insurrection and Nemesis and reading up on the Dominion War. I've started collecting novels again in earnest, and now own TNG seasons 4-7 and TOS season 1 on DVD, though I haven't rewatched all of them yet. Although I enjoy all the TNG characters (my favorite series, since it's the one I grew up with!), Deanna Troi is indisputably my favorite; as I see it, though underused, she was one of the few characters who actually underwent character development in the course of the series, and it's especially easy to see in episodes like "Disaster" and "Thine Own Self," two of my favorites.

I've been working on a number of Troi-centered fanfics for the past few months, some of which are finally ready to see the light of day on alt.startrek.creative, but I've got lots to say here, too. (I see you already have a nice Troi-related thread going, so I will just skip over there!)

Iruka

9. TS-1838-SWATH

TS-1838-SWATH Commander Red Shirt

Welcome duchess

10. TS-1838-SWATH

Welcome datafan

11. TS-1838-SWATH

Welcome gypsyaly

12. TS-1838-SWATH

Welcome TariAdama

13. TS-1838-SWATH

Welcome Iruka

14. KittySpot

KittySpot Ensign Newbie

Hi everyone! I first saw TNG 5 years ago while flipping channels and have been hooked on Star Trek in general since! I enjoy all of the shows, but TNG has a special place in my heart due to their use of the arts. I have a degree in English lit and really like Picard and Data's use of literature. Patrick Stewart is incredible in anything. That's my story -- it's a pleasure to meet you all! :)

15. TS-1838-SWATH

Welcome KittySpot

16. TariAdama

TariAdama Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Battlestar Galactica. Rank: Maj. Tari Adama

Thank you... I'm glad to have a friend wo wanted me to join this site.

17. bouttime

bouttime Cadet Newbie

hello to all you trekorators out there:) just signed up after seeing a poll about what was the best trek series. the poster astutely left off TOS and TNG citing how they would garner most of the votes. for the record, TNG rules by a wide margin, then TOS imo.

i go back to the mid/late 70s, just after TOS ended its original run and began its first run in syndication. i used to watch it on WPIX out of new york. being just a young kid i had never heard of it during its run on NBC but remember my older brother was excited when he heard it was coming to WPIX late at night, he said it was a great show and explained to us about the ship and some of the characters. at first i found it a little boring, but after awhile i started to really enjoy it, there was something really peaceful about it. it would come on around midnight, i'd be all alone in my room curled up on my bed and i'd settle in for a vicarious experience of of zipping around the great unknown in a really cool ship. the bridge of the enterprise was like the coolest living room ever. the sound of the ship in the background was like hypnotic for me, it would make me feel calm and at ease and let me slip into this world full of all kinds of great shit like uhura's legs and Kirk's Captain Chair and of course that giant screen.......

.....then the years went by and i grew older and basically forgot about trek, chalked it up as just another show i was into as a "kid" and that's it(though i did go see all the movies). then it was announced that they were going to do TNG and the same brother, who by this time was back living in the house again was all excited about it, i was like "oh come on, you know its probably going to be crap". i wasn't excited about it at all, but since he was i was like i'll give it a shot. we watched it together and i was hooked as soon as i saw Q, i was like "yes this is fucking awesome",(i can't understand why encounter at far point wasn't too well received by some trekkers), i thought is was highly respectful of TOS and set the tone that this wasn't going to be some stupid series just looking to milk trek nation. little did i know how bad the first season was going to be(the naked now was so freaking bad, it scared me), but there were still enough positives to remain optimistic. then season two came it really started to really get better, from then on i was more than hooked. i saw it as one of the best TV shows ever made bar none and it just kept getting better. the influence it had on my life as far as opening my mind to new and better ways of thinking, of how to comport one's self, about values and respect for all things such as life and knowledge and how to be tough and fair at the same time, responsibility and sacrifice and appreciation for truth were enormous.
    i was genuinely depressed when i heard year 7 was going to be the last. but as we know "all good things....."

well that's just a bit of my life with trek. although i've been disappointed by much of what's come after tng i will always stick with star trek. its not just a show, its a way of living.

18. arasam22

arasam22 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

hello everybody... arasam here?

unfortunately, i think DS9 has replaced TNG as my favorite trek series (say it ain't so!) but TNG will always hold a special place in my heart as the first trek show i ever watched. i was only introduced to it about four years ago (hey, i'm only 18 :P), but since then i have watched just about every episode there is, and in the past year or so, i've become OBSESSED with star trek in general.

my fav characters would definitely have to be picard and data. patrick stewart pwns all.

and.... i guess that's all. here are some of my tng graphics?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. thedude

thedude Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey everyone... I just found TrekBBS today (I don't know how I didn't sooner, considering I've had trektoday.com bookmaked for... 5 years?) and thought I'd chime in on this thread... sorry if my story is a little long, never really been able to tell it before to anyone who cared...

Anyway, I'm thedude, aka Lance... I'm 26, and a guy. Been into Trek since I was about 5 or 6, right about when TNG debuted. I was living in western Pennsylvania at the time, and happened to be at a friends house who was far more obsessed than anyone else at that age... he had all the action figures, models, technical diagrams... you name it, he had it. We used to wander around the woods outside his house having "away missions." Good times.

Anyway, I was pretty obsessed all through childhood... even to the point where when I was 10 or so I went to get my hair cut and told the stylist I wanted my hair cut like Dr. McCoy (I even brought a star trek comic book with, just in case). I remember going to see ST6 with my dad in the theater and I didn't shut up about it for at least a week...

As I got older it got kind of tough to let my true obsession show through. I remember in 5th grade I wore one (yes I had multiple) of my Trek uniforms to school on Halloween... I caught a lot of crap from other kids and really never spoke up about it again. After that my interested wained just a little bit, that was until I was about 12 and I discovered AOL and "simming." That pretty much took it overboard... being able to play the role of someone in Trek and "live" on a starship. That lasted until about High School, when I found girls, and Trek kind of took a back seat...

When TNG hit Spike TV (I think it was still TNN at the time) things picked back up for me. I remember watching the TNG marathon in my dorm room at Illinois State for like 2 days straight... a lot of great memories came back and my interest really spiked again (thanks to Spike TV, haha).

Once all the series hit DVD I made sure to get them all. I remember driving to Wal Mart at midnight when the next TNG or DS9 season would come up. I added it up once, and I'm pretty sure I could buy a decent used car with all the money I spent on Trek DVD's... but I promise I've had more smiles watching the shows that I would of had in a car, well... I guess it depends who I'm in the car with.

Anyway, I still watch Trek all the time. I had really bad insomnia at the end of my college career, and didn't respond to any sleeping pills of anxiety meds... so I started watching Trek before bed, and it was just so comforting that it made me content and I fell asleep. So for the past 6 or 7 years I've been continually watching the shows... every episode of every season, one or two before bed almost every night...

I'm now the sales and marketing manager for software company, working on million dollar deals all the time and glad handing the captains of industry... but every night, no matter what, I lose myself in some Trek and the world is immediately better. What an incredible thing it is, and what a great effect it's had on me.

20. randy

randy Cadet Newbie

hello just joined today 6-1-2009
    came to this site to find anyone interested in my entire Star Trek The Next Generation " Columbia House VHS Collection every episode i watched it just once..they are in excellent condition..but i really don't know if anyone would want it since i don't very many people who still own a VCR...
    ANYWAY THANK'S keyman59us@yahoo.com