World War Z ratings/spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm re-reading the book now, and man I wish they'd taken more from the sequences of the book. You could just have had Brad Pitt's character stumbling through these events in real time on his search through the world.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is there anything at all from the book in the movie?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Very, very little. None of the chapters are re-created in the movie, but some concepts carried over like Israel walling itself off. No mention of Yonkers or the South African plan. And the movie zombies are a fast moving herd, not slouchers.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I thought the book also allowed for fast zombies? Some slouch, some don't.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I can't recall if the book ever says that they can run, but it never says they are down right slow either.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm re-reading with that thought in mind, and they don't seem to be running but they don't directly say...

7. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spoke too soon. Z still held on this weekend in the US. Paramount may greenlight a sequel provided that Pitt signs on

Forbes

8. DarthTom

While neither film knocked it out of the park for Paramount like Man of Steel, I'm sure the studio is still happy with the overall totals for both Trek and Z. And of course they have a viable franchise in both.

Forbes

9. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

Exactly! I mean hell, this is a Star Trek board for crying out loud. If you can suspend disbelief on the existence of transporter technology then nothing else should be beyond it. Sure Zombies make no sense on many levels but if you can acheive the technology to disassemble and reassemble items on a molecular level . . . well . . . basically all your needs are now taken care of forever.

10. DarthTom

Not to mention the fact that genetic augments have blood apparently that can bring people back from the dead.

I don't get how people can accept the plot of Trek XI and think that fast moving zombies with incredible levels of smell just stretches disbelief to the breaking point.

11. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This was my reaction to everything that happened after Brad Pitt got on plane in Jerusalem:
    [​IMG]

Everything up to that point was a genuinely good thriller. I didn't mind the fast zombies and PG-13 rating and I knew that the movie has nothing in common with the book, apart from the name.

It's a wasted opportunity to make a really good global pandemic movie. I don't regret seeing it but I was disappointed by the movie.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I agree everything after Jerusalem things slid down hill... a bit, but hardly felt it was horrible. There were still some good moments there, particularly with the Jewish chick, the zombie version of William Fichtner and Pitt enjoying a cool, refreshing, Pepsi after getting his "camouflage" from the zombies. Overall, it's a movie I liked. (Saw it again this past weekend with another friend who wanted to see it.)

Plenty of mis-steps in it (zombie apocalypse and two guys are going for a rape in the dairy aisle?!) but overall I enjoyed it.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have no doubt shit like that would happen if humanity imploded.

14. Trekker4747

Probably. But probably no so quickly in such a crowded place with so many people around. ;) And is it me, or did the guy behind the pharmacy counter not exactly seem like a pharmacist?

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I like to think of the movie as the part we didn't get to see in the most recent version of I Am Legend.

16. Trekker4747

And somewhere outside Atlanta, GA a sheriff's deputy lays in a coma from a gunshot wound to the torso.

17. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, it wasn't horrible, it was stupid. It had probably already been said here, but the whole idea of infecting people with deadly but curable diseases for camouflage purposes is really really dumb. It's a terrible idea. What if one of those diseases gets out of hand and the world has a goddamn black plague or something in addition to zombie apocalypse?
    It was also implied that zombies didn't bite one of the soldiers in South Korea because he was limping. The Israeli soldier girl had her arm cut off - why were the zombies reacting to her then, do zombies only bite the healthy people who can move easily? Why not send her to get the stuff at WHO, or at least to try to see what would happen if she got close to one of the zombies?

BTW, Segen in Hebrew is lieutenant, as in army rank, it made little sense not to give an Israeli girl a proper name even after the Jerusalem scene, but that's a minor nitpicking. It just looked weird to me.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's exactly what happened in the Coliseum in New Orleans during the aftermath of Hurricaine Katrina, isn't it?

19. Trekker4747

Well, we're never told what the guy in South Korea had that made him immune. It's possible he suffered from some illness that had rendered him inviable to the zombies, I doubt his limp had anything to do with it. Which is why the Israeli soldier chick was still attacked after losing her hand.

The "idea" seemed to be the zombies were "propagating their species" by only infecting viable candidates. The SK soldier, the old man in Israel and the bald (cancer?) kid in Israel all had terminal, long-term, illnesses that made them inviable candidates for infection.

As much as I liked this little plot idea I do agree it doesn't hold up to much scrutiny. Because it begs the question of "how sick is sick?" I think at the WHO they suggested something bacterial to be infected with. Well, any number of bacterial agents are infectious and potentially deadly. It's just a matter of "how deadly" and that depends on your personal health and immune system and how soon you get treatment.

The flu and the cold can be deadly in the right circumstances. (Though those are viruses.) So it was a plot point that wasn't thought out too much because it has too many problems when thought about for more than a couple of minutes.

But it certainly wasn't about injury as both the Israeli chick and Brad Pitt had pretty heavy injuries in the final act that should have made the "immune" and it obviously didn't. Maybe the guy in SK had arthritis or got polio or something?

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ He was terminally low on faith of the heart.