Star Trek: Renegades

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Danlav05, Aug 17, 2012.

1. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Really looking forward to this.

Watching the trailer I am kinda curious about one thing. Was any thought given to making Chekov look older?

It was mentioned that this takes place post-Voyager, which means that it would be sometime after, say, 2380? That makes Chekov at least 140 years old by that point. A couple of years older than McCoy was in TNG's premier.

Not a complaint. Just curious.

2. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

I think Chekov looks perfect. His real age and the shaved head serve him well for the role. I think that having old age makeup like what McCoy had in TNG would be too distracting.

3. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe being exposed to and cured of that aging sickness in the "Deadly Years" have changed his aging process.

4. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Weren't they all exposed to that?

At any rate, it doesn't matter. Was just something that caught my attention.

Maybe McCoy aged so badly because of his refusal to use the transporter, lol.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If McCoy, the oldest of the TOS crew (or was that Scotty?) can live to be 140+ in "Farpoint", and if Jonathan Archer is said to still be around at about the same age in the last movie, then I have no problem with Chekov being alive in the TNG era too.

You just kind of have to forget that how old everyone looked in STVI, Generations and Of Gods and Men.:)

6. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

Oh, I wasn't questioning him still being alive. 140 certainly seems to be more than possible in Trek lore. Was just remarking on how young he looks for his age.

I don't think Tuvok ever said whether or not Sulu was still alive during Flashback?

Scotty was obviously still alive but for a completely different reason.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

His head is not shaved, it's natural. Walter Koenig has been wearing a toupee for years. It's only recently that he has started appearing at cons and other public events withoutmit. Now he usually wears a hat.

It's cool that he was willing to not wear it for this. It totally adds to Chekov looking older. It dramatic departure from how he looked in the movies. So it distracts from lack of makeup.

8. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Yes, I know that the actor is naturally bald, but the character always had hair ;)

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well the stuff falls off of fictional characters as they age, now and again. :p

10. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Even though Koenig obviously does not look like he's 180 years old, he looks significantly older in the Renegades trailer than he did in Of Gods and Men without his wig. But It works for the project. VI, Generations and OGAM worked because comparing the real world and the Trek world the stories were practically In real time with the actor ageing. You could take advantage of Koenig's different appearance so the poor man doesn't have to spend hours in a makeup chair getting a mask put on! To Serve All My Days was different, it involved de-ageing too.

McCoy was a one scene cameo so Kelley wore a prosthetic face and hair, screen tests show it was originally just greyed up hair and makeup, but in the end the producers decided to significantly age McCoy.

Nimoy's a bit different being a Vulcan (well Spock, not Nimoy!) at first glance he looks the same in VI and Unification, but you notice his hair is greyed up a bit. XI is 19 years later so the character does look a lot older, though it's still the same Spock.

11. USS Excelsior

USS Excelsior Commodore Commodore

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLFPn6eyszY[/yt]

12. F. King Daniel

Another fundraiser? I'd love to hear what CBS are thinking.

Not crazy about the new designs shown in the video and on their Indygogo page - an Into Darkness-style Klingon with helmet, a slightly modified USS Defiant bridge, a Nova-class with a round saucer and a slightly pointier D7 battlecruiser. Kind of uninspired.

13. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

The designs aren't much of a departure, and I think that might be a mistake with the "hero" ship given that they are supposed to be disavowed - same with using Starfleet department colors for the uniforms.

One unusual thing I may have noticed, though - on that "pointier D7", are those the warp nacelles off of a Sovvy? If so, I could see *that* being the "hero" ship.

14. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

One thing to consider with Checkov, McCoy, Spock, and Kirk is the possibility that the Deadly Years virus could actually have had some advantageous affect on their natural ageing process. If we say the natural age of Terrans in the time of TOS and TNG is in the high 130's as seen with Bones in Farpoint. Perhaps the virus has somehow extended and slowed Checkov's age. Something to consider.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  15. F. King Daniel

First pictures of Renegades cast in Starfleet uniforms, from their Facebook page.
    [​IMG]
    (contributor Dr. David Lieu, with Corin Nemec and Tarah Paige)
    [​IMG]
    (contributor Carlo Alvarez)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I like it! The only nitpick I'd have would be the black strap on the shoulder, as they appear pointless, from a functionality perspective. Though, I suppose the callback to the later TOS movie uniform makes up for it :)

17. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Interesting design, but what about the fit? They do not seem to fit at all, especially the male cast. Not impressed....

18. F. King Daniel

Here are the crew on what looks like the bridge of a Galaxy-class starship.
    [​IMG]

19. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I don't think it's a Galaxy class ship. The Conn and Ops stations, the Captain's chair are from the Enterprise-D Bridge restoration project and loaned out to Renegades.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to agree, the fit looks quite bad.