Should There Be A Blu Ray Of The Animaited Series?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by KirkSpockTOSFan, Sep 22, 2009.

?

Should they release a blu ray collection of The Animaied Series

1. Yes

29 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    35.5%
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Not sure

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

I think that reanimating TAS is the next fertile ground, following TOS-R for exploring the classic Trek universe. If I had all the time in the world, it is a project I would love to helm.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Nah. Why remake it? It is what it is. And there's no reason to believe it wouldn't look amazing in HD. The animation -- the movement of the characters, or lack thereof -- was certainly terrible. But the actual hand-drawn elements aren't bad.

If you can, check out Disney's "Sleeping Beauty" on blu-ray. The star of that show are the background elements. The detail in those backgrounds is astonishing. Even better is the sense of depth you get that you don't get in standard def. Whether you'd get a comprable sense of depth with TAS on blu-ray, I don't know. But I'd like to find out.

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

FROM THE review of the Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray

Sure you have a general background and then the actual cell animation of the characters but I do not believe the animation company for TAS Filmmation used Disney’s standard multiplane system.
    Watch this 1 minute video for how the multiplane glass levels work:
    http://disney.go.com/videos/classics/?content=10346#/videos/classics/&content=10346

Will Paramount/CBS home video put out TAS in Blu-ray? Quite possibly before 2012 as it would require minimal work to remaster from the 35mm cut negative. Why do I mention that date because once they put out 4 seasons of Enterprise on Blu-ray they will be out of Trek TV to release unless they delve into doing a fan collective of TNG episodes in HD to release on Blu-ray.

4. Hober Mallow

Sure, nor are the backgrounds as busy and as ornate as Sleeping Beauty's. That's not really my point, though. Even in Sleeping Beauty shots where it's just a foreground and background, every detail of the background is so sharp it's like looking at an actual painting. It's a much different experience watching it on DVD. And as I said before, I'm talking about the detail of the images, not the quality of how they animated those images.

5. jefferiestubes8

Hober Mallow I understand your statement.
    Last week I initially said this
    September 23 2009
    Perhaps your mention of "depth" is what confused me. Disney used several layers of artwork moving at different speeds. Filmmation may have used only 2, foreground cell animations and a background.

6. Hober Mallow

For me, it's almost intangible, but watching films on blu-ray gives me an added sense of depth that I don't get from SD formats. I don't know if it's the added detail or what it is, but some films where this was especially noticeable to me are Casablanca and Patton.

7. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Yeah, what was that about? Single worst part of the DVD release. Did no one realize the background of the ship graveyard was SUPPOSE to be red? When they blacked it out, we lost a lot of smaller ships in the background. Hell, ship in the foreground lost definition. Terrible restoration!!

8. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Speaking of TAS, have the regular DVDs sold out? I should have picked it up when it first came out. I can't find it anywhere now.

9. Hober Mallow

I just saw a set at Wall Mart like a week ago.

10. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

It is in stock at amazon.ca. Don't know if they will ship down under or if the region code will work for you or not but it is worth a shot.

As for redoing ST:TAS, or putting it on Blu-ray, no I don't think so. I like it just the way I remember it. I would like to see a whole new animated series done, though. Same quality as The Clone Wars.

Byron

11. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I still see the sets on various store shelves, so worry not, true believer...

12. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I haven't actually seen all of TAS before. It's the only Trek I haven't seen all of. Is it worth seeking out? :)

13. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Not unless the masters are good enough to give an improvement in quality on DVD, which I doubt.

14. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

For as much as I watch them, I'm happy with the DVDs. However a bluray version could certainly be a worthwhile release, for those who care. As subjective as the animation may be, with some TLC and a little cleaning, the finished result should look as though you were standing over the animators shoulder; The insanely fast animator's shoulder.

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I certainly think so. The stories done are quite good and in a few of the cases very good. It was (and still is) especially rewarding to hear those voices again. Despite the lack of movement of the characters, something inherent to Filmation productions, it is a fair representation of the animation done during that period. I have watched them more than once and tend now to visualize the episodes on my own. The extras are a good bonus as well. The only thing I am disappointed about is that it didn't manage to last another season or two. As I mentioned above, with the resurgence of animation, it may be a great time to rethink and redo another animated Star Trek series. Possibly with one of the newer series as opposed to an entirely new one since the actors are still around and kicking. They may command too much for their services, though.

Byron

16. jefferiestubes8

And this is the reason I recently picked up the comic book collection on DVD-ROM of 500 Trek comic books including many from the TOS series characters on the various Enterprises.

and also picked up a miniseries comic from one of the original writers on TOS, D.C. Fontana:
    Star Trek Year Four: The Enterprise Experiment

While I've actually been busy to sit down to read them since getting them I have skimmed through them...
    I can visualize them myself from the drawings. Maybe put on some Trek movie soundtrack to get in the mood...

17. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Considering the way it was done (the simple level of animation and use of color); the image quality wouldn't improved over that of upscaling the regular DVD on a Blu-Ray player (I have the TAS DVD set and an HDTV w/Blu-Ray); so IMO it would be a waste of time and money for both the stuio and the consumer. (imo)

18. Sycho Nosk

Sycho Nosk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

thats so true, and it would be sick... PSYCHO SICK!

19. jefferiestubes8

TAS script length

40 pages really? Are any TAS scripts freely available on the net (not for $20. each on Roddenberry.com site) ? Are they "shooting scripts"? Was there loads of stuff in some of the TAS scripts that didn't make it in the episodes? Major plot and character stuff? Can you give any examples of episodes and what was left of the floor of the writing room out of the finished episodes? Did the actors record the all the scripted dialogue for that stuff in the 40-odd pages scripts? Would it have survived...the original unedited studio sound recordings of the dialogue?

20. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

You're really smart. :guffaw: