Columbia moving forward with new "Ghostbusters"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

They're grown now. He's just not interested in it anymore.

His only comedy work has been on his recent album.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe they could do a movie version of Extreme Ghostbusters, an animated revival from a while back, in which Egon mentored a diverse group of college kids who became the new Ghostbusters (including a female team member this time, played by voice-acting goddess Tara Strong back when she was Tara Charendoff).

3. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

They gotta have a TAPS (Ghosthunters) cameo in whatever they do!

4. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Actually, what I'd like to see is one of the four of them gets killed at the beginning during a job. The others, out of respect and fear, retire.

Then the dead one comes back (as a ghost) and the living ones have to reunite for some reason or another (save the ghost of their friend, bring him back, or the ghost is aware of something really bad coming and convinces them to come out of retirement, or the like.) Bill Murray as a ghost could be VERY funny ...

--Ted

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

^^Well, that was an animated sequel to Filmation's live-action Saturday morning series The Ghost Busters from the '70s. Columbia had to sue Filmation for the rights to use the name Ghostbusters, and they settled for an undisclosed amount, with Filmation retaining the right to use the name themselves, hence the sequel.

I've seen the title sequence for The Ghost Busters on the special features of another Filmation DVD, and it's one Filmation show I don't think I'm interested in seeing. It looked really cheap and awful. I loved Filmation's adventure shows, but most of their comedies were pretty lame (Fat Albert excepted). The Filmation's Ghostbusters cartoon was sort of in between, a mediocre comedy-adventure show.

But that theme song really sticks in your head, doesn't it? "Let's go, let's go!"

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it me, or is there a new trend of doing new sequels in old movie franchises? Just this year we've had new movies for Indiana Jones and Rambo, despite their previous movies being 10+, possibly 15-20 years ago. Then there's The X-Files, 10 years after the first movie, 6 years after the series ended. I'm sure there've been others I'm not thinking of at the moment, but my point this, now with this Ghostbusters rumour it seems franchise resurrection is becoming as much a trend as remakes are.

8. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's also a story opportunity for the guys to file a lawsuit against MythBusters for trademark infringement. ;)

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I used to watch that after school in the 80s. When I first tuned in, I was disappointed that it wasn't the real Ghostbusters, but it grew on me and I ended up liking it.

10. Christopher

As with most "recent Hollywood trends," it's nothing new. Nostalgia always goes in stages of 20-30 years, about as much time as it takes for the fans of a property to grow up and become filmmakers or TV producers. Sometimes it takes a little longer, like getting a TV sequel to 1953's War of the Worlds in 1988, or Return to Oz coming out in 1985 (though that was closer to the book universe rather than being a direct sequel to the 1939 Oz film). And 1960's Psycho got feature film sequels in 1983 and 1986, a Bates Motel TV series (without Norman) in 1987, and a Showtime sequel (the only good followup) in 1990. There was also Twilight Zone: The Movie in 1983, and of course there was this 1960s starship show you may have heard of that got various film sequels from 1979 onward...

There was a Real Ghostbusters cartoon airing contemporaneously, on ABC and in syndication. Maybe it wasn't on in your area?

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Both of them were on. That was just the reaction I remember having when I first tuned in to the Filmation cartoon. It wasn't what I was expecting to see every day after school. I was like... "Hey! This isn't the REAL Ghostbusters!" It felt like some cheap knockoff of the "original" that had Venkman and Egon and Slimer, but like I said, I ended up enjoying it.

The Real Ghostbusters aired only once a week on Saturday mornings.

12. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I'm not sure which would be worse - a forced sequel over a decade too late, or a re-make? I'm at least curious to learn what the premise of a 3rd film would be, which actors would be involved, and whether it would focus on the 4 ghostbusters we know and love, or push them to secondary roles so that a new generation can take over?

13. Christopher

In its first season and its third and later seasons. Its second season ran in daily syndication along with reruns of the first season, for 65 episodes in all.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked goth Kylie and smooth Eduardo but I don't know if it'd be worth it to have that annoying wheelchair guy. Sorry if that's not very PC.

15. Christopher

^^I liked Garrett. Jason Marsden characters are always cool. And I liked how matter-of-fact they were about him -- they didn't treat it like a Fat Albert episode and call attention to how special it was that this paraplegic guy had managed to be an athlete (which would have been annoying); they just presented it without comment. It's a simple fact that there are plenty of athletic paraplegics in the world, just as there are goth girls and sarcastic slackers in the world. And the show treated it as a simple fact.

But yeah, Kylie was great. I love Tara Strong characters that are close to her natural voice. (Batgirl/Barbara Gordon in The New Batman Adventures is probably closest, and she's really sexy to listen to.) And I liked the subtle innuendo they worked in from time to time. "I'm not a screamer." Hmm...

My main problem with XGB is that it purported to be in continuity with Real Ghostbusters (and brought back Maurice LaMarche as Egon, yay) but wasn't really. The Egon-Janine relationship had been reset to a point where Egon was unaware of her crush, and a lot of the ghosts and monsters they fought were rehashes of creatures the original team had already taken on in RGB, so that it should've been easier to beat them this time (or else the portrayal of the creatures' nature and powers contradicted the original version).

One thing I really liked about it, though, was Jim Latham's new arrangement of the theme song. The original song is annoying with that cheerleadery "Ghostbusters!" yell at the end of every line. The XGB version goes for a more subdued, eerier arrangement, and the first two iterations of "Who you gonna call?" are met with no answer, creating some suspense, as it were. Then when we finally do hear the question answered, it's an eerie whisper. Much, much more effective.

16. Super Grover

Super Grover Vice Admiral Admiral

I am happy, yet wary. It could either be a Rocky Balboa, or a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

17. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds interesting. Where can I get information on this "show?" :borg:

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably nowhere. It was just a fad that quickly died out.

19. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    So did I. I really liked that cartoon.

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a Lost in Space message board, right? :confused: