Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I do love that scene between Kosh and Sheridan though.

"I hate when you do that.."

"Good."

2. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I would like to ask a question about one of the actors - Jeff Conway.

My satellite dish defaults to the TV guide channel....and this morning I turned on the TV to burn a movie I'd recorded on my DVD recorder, and caught him on some celebrity weight-loss show.

Sure, he had some weight to lose...but not all that much. The thing that I was SHOCKED about was that he was clearly on drugs (badly slurring his words, being ***extremely*** (and I do mean EXTREMELY) hostile and abusive to the other players, etc).

What in the world happened to him, Neroon? I don't keep track much of actors, as you know...but this was very sad to see. I didn't even recognize him at first, he was so out of character for the person I expected him to be.

I mean, you expect everyone to age...and perhaps pick up some weight, of course. But wow - he was a total jerk on this show. And that doesn't come with age - that comes with addiction. :(

Can you give me some backstory here? :(

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I'm not Nerroon but I heard of that at the time (about a year ago, iirc). Word was that he went into rehab and when I saw him a few months later at some TVLand awards show, he looked okay, if kind of shaky. His fellow Taxi cast members seemed glad to see him and supportive, though.

I heard that Jeff had had past issues with drugs so it's probable that he had a 'slip' that was hopefully short-lived.

Jan

4. PKTrekGirl

^ Thanks for responding, Jan. I appreciate it.

Good news that he went into rehab. That was the answer I was hoping to receive, actually. I hope he is okay now...because wow...that bit this morning was very difficult to watch. I could only stand it for a few minutes - it wasn't what I'd turned the machine on for in any event...but it was so sad that I wouldn't have watched it for long, even if it had been. :(

I didn't recognize any of the other players. Had they all been on the same show at one time or something?

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not that I know of. I've never watched the show so I don't know what the criteria was except that they were supposed to lose weight.

I can imagine that it was painful to see. I'd heard it described as a total meltdown. Some people have speculated that it was all an act but judging from what I saw at the award show, I figured it was probably real. Poor guy, to have that shown over and over.

Jan

6. PKTrekGirl

^ Yep. I'd say 'total meltdown' is pretty accurate. :(

And yeah...although it *was* on the TV Guide Network, they gave no indication that it was filmed so long ago. If he is doing better now, I think if I were him I'd be wishing like hell they'd make that show disappear.

Of course, I admittedly didn't watch that long - it was too painful to watch, to be honest with you. So maybe they said something later.

But yeah...the meltdown was so horrible - it actually kinda reminded me of Franklin and the stims. Only you got the feeling it was very, very, real.

The other players basically did an intervention because he was so out of control. :(

7. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That is all pretty much the same story I've heard. The weight-loss show itself sounds familiar, so I am reasonably sure I came across it at one point or another. And I recall seeing Jeff on it, but I must not have watched for very long because I can't remember what he looked like.

8. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

9. Neroon

At some point during the winter months, I plan to host a B5 marathon, with the theme being "Hidden Gems". In essence, episodes that aren't often listed as "the best of the series" but are still pretty good when you get around to watching them again.

Anyone have any suggestions? Even if you can't list the episode titles, just describe it.

10. PKTrekGirl

^ You know, the problem with that is that so much of the show is so doggone GOOD that different people have different ideas of what episodes are best in the series. And so what might be for one person a 'best in the series' episode might be a 'hidden gem' for another.

For example, for me GROPOS might be a hidden gem. It's not one of my top 15 episodes...but it's a good one nonetheless...and really, it's the episode were I remember thinking for the first time "Okay....So this IS a good show after all! Not nearly as lame as I thought it would be from the first few episodes I saw..."

Another one for me is A Distant Star. I like the story, for sure...but this episode contains some of the best music in B5, IMO. That theme for the Cortez was totally cool! Usually when rewatching, I can't wait to get to this episode, just for the Cortez theme. :lol:

Those are just a couple from toward the beginning of the series - those are easier for me because I remember these as being episodes that helped get me 'hooked' as a new viewer, long before I saw all the kick-ass episodes of seasons 3 & 4. I'm sure I can think up more.

As an aside...I wish I could be involved in a marathon like that. I've watched pretty much all of this show completely alone and it would have been fun to have had some company. Do you have a local club or something, Neroon?

11. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Neroon, the problem is that "episodes that aren't often listed as "the best of the series"" is so subjective, that I wouldn't know where to draw the line. Do you mean episodes that never make it into people's top 10 lists? Their top 20 lists? Their top 40 lists?

Maybe you should first come up with a list of episodes that are disqualified because they're too popular, and then we can offer suggestions on the best of the rest? Or else, we can collectively first do the list of popular eps, so that we're then all on the same page as far as what counts as a hidden gem.

12. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Parliament of Dreams
    Comes the Inquisitor

13. Neroon

I am reluctant to list anything, out of concern that I might bias people's ideas in one way or another. But for argument's sake, let's dismiss the following which seem to frequently be on everyone's Top 10:

- The Coming of Shadows
    - In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum
    - Severed Dreams
    - Z'ha'dum
    - Sleeping In Light
    - The Long, Twilight Struggle
    - War Without End
    - Babylon Squared
    - Chrysalis
    - The Fall of Centauri Prime

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Legacies
    Points Of Departure
    Soul Mates
    All Alone In The Night
    Interludes And Examinations
    Lines Of Communication
    No Surrender No Retreat
    Endgame

;)

15. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Well, without a doubt, my favorites that are not on that list are "The Fall of Night" and "The Face of the Enemy". However, I'd also add:

Messages From Earth
    Point of No Return
    Interludes and Examinations
    And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place
    Whatever Happened to Mr. Garibaldi?
    The Long Night

Some of those might be too popular to be counted as "hidden gems", but presumably at least a few of them are usable.

16. Neroon

One of the episodes I was considering is "Eyes".

It's from season one, and features a compelling performance from Michael O'Hare.... and it gets even more into his background. We see more into Ivanova's history. And there's a nice little humor sidebar with the bit about Garibaldi building his motorcycle, with Lennier's help.

And since we're in the DS9 forum, it also has a nice little performance from one of Trek's most chameleon-like actors, Jeffrey Combs, in a decidedly more sympathetic role. ;)

17. PKTrekGirl

Okay, great! Now we are gettin' somewhere!

By the way - how many episodes total will you be showing during this marathon?

That also might help us narrow it down.

18. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

PKTrekGirl, I just found something on Jeff Conaway that's both encouraging and sad at the same time. He's going to be on a reality 'Celebrity Rehab' show. I can only wish the best for him but I guarantee I'll throw my TV in the dumpster rather than watch a minute of such a program.

Jan

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Face of the Enemy is my all-time favorite episode of the series, so I have to give it some love, but it may be to high on other people's lists to qualify.

To make things easy, here are the episodes I rated as an A- or higher during my great Babylon 5 re-watch earlier this year, with the "no duh episodes" excluded (eg: season premieres & finales, War Without End, other "BIG" episodes)...

Season One:
    Mind War

Season Two:
    Revelations
    The Geometry of Shadows
    A Race Through Dark Places
    In the Shadow of Z’ha’dum
    Confessions and Lamentations
    Divided Loyalties

Season Three:
    Convictions
    A Day in the Strife
    Voices of Authority
    Dust to Dust
    Sic Transit Vir
    Ship of Tears

Season Four:
    Epiphanies

Season Five:
    In the Kingdom of the Blind
    A Tragedy of Telepaths
    The Corp is Mother, The Corp is Father

--

I really, really like Revelations from season two, and find it to be overlooked far too often. Maybe that one, in my book, is the best "hidden gem" out of the lot, but YMMV.

20. Neroon

No, I think "Revelations" is a perfect choice for my "hidden gems" marathon. After all, I still contend that is when Sheridan gets hit by the thunderbolt. ;)

On a different sub-topic, in the SFF forum this week's avatar contest concerns "Bad Girls". Yeah, I went with a B5 theme, which was a bit easier than I thought it'd be:
    [​IMG]
    Not that I am trying to suggest a theme for a DS9 av contest, but would you say the series had more or less than its share of "bad girls?