Obama orders a review of NASA's plan to return to the Moon

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by msbae, May 8, 2009.

1. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

I love politically charged knee-jerk reactions to a President's decision. It's so mature and a well thought out means of expressing one's opinions. It's also good to armchair quarterback how *you* (the person with the knee-jerk reaction) knows all and has it on the utmost authority that the person who is ordering a course of action you disagree with is a complete imbecile.

2. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The article posted in the original post said they planned on going to the moon to build a base for future trips to Mars. Here is the quote:

3. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Yup. That's the plan. Get back to the moon and THAT would be our launch pad for Martain missions.

But you gotta give NASA the money to do it. You can't just say "Go to Mars" and then "Go to everything else we tell you to do without any more money". So, the current Administration has ordered NASA to go over it's books and see what can be scrapped in order to fund the Ares/Constellation buildups. As it stands now, NASA must pick and choose what gets the appropriate resources and money.

4. John Picard

You know what would be a real bitch (and also very hilarious)? If a mission to Mars gets to the Moon and finds a bunch of supplies missing, and a note written in some alien language, as well as binary, that says, "This is an IOU for some parts we had to borrow to fix our hyperdrive. Sorry, but we were behind schedule and had to get home quickly. Thank you, ADFHHFJS, FHUUVNW, and FHJFHUES". :lol:

5. Squiggy

I'd blame JJ.

6. msbae

msbae Commodore

That makes sense. And since we're dealing with the Government here, I somehow doubt that's the reason. Poor NASA... They get so much shit... :(

7. MIB

MIB Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except for God with his gamma ray lasers and micro meteorite machine guns. =/

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well if God is against you you are pretty screwed anyway, unless you are Lyra Belaqua of course.

9. Squiggy

Or Robau.

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a short story I read years ago that detailed a memo conversation between upper management and lower management of an alien species in concern of some human artifacts taken from the moon. The aliens weren't supposed to take anything because humans might come back some day and everything needed to be as it was. After much squabbling the lower management finally returned everything - so they thought. Turns out the aliens didn't return all the space suits - they either left one too many or one too few (can't remember).

11. kitsune

kitsune Captain

I feel bad for NASA. Every administration gives it a new direction, making it very difficult to plan for future missions, or construct the hardware necessary for them before funding is re-allocated. :(

12. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well unless God has a big pointy stick of course.

13. warriorsfan

warriorsfan Admiral Admiral

What exactly has Obama done? He ordered a review, so what? We're mellow about it because he HASN'T DONE ANYTHING.

14. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Funding for NASA isn't unlimited like in the 60s..So there has to be some give and take...

NASA can't spend a lot on low speed flight research, Reduce sonic booms for a future SST and set up a Lunar base with an eye to Mars with the budget it has..

So they will prioritize..with the Lunar program at the top of the save list..

I really wouldn't want to be studying Bumble Bee aerodynamics with NASA money right now..

15. John Picard

NASA's budget is a mere pittance compared to two giant black holes called the Department of Energy and the Department of Education, both of which should be abolished. If that were to happen (keep dreaming), NASA's budget could easily be doubled and STILL be a mere pittance.

16. msbae

msbae Commodore

In the words of James Hetfield... Sad but true!

17. 3superearthtrek

3superearthtrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

who cares about the moon.When are we goin to mars or europa?

18. Squiggy

After we go back to the moon. It's kinda integral.

19. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

This statement in and of itself is part of why the manned space program is where it is now. We need to recapture the excitement, because contrary to the views of this poster regarding lunar flights, and if I may quote Montgomery Scott:

"IT'S EXCITING!"

20. yellowdingo

yellowdingo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. The USA has missed it's window of opportunity. the Axis powers have a foothold link

2. I corresponded with the largest US lawfirm to manage a colonization program that would borrow 20 billion-billion dollars from the USA and spend it on colonization in the US economy - but still have to pay it back as a loan.

No reply yet- probably not even taking it seriously.