Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sort of agree: Any explanation will be handwaving and it's a small detail. But it's still significant in allowing us to suspend disbelief. A genuinely good explanation would be better writing than a merely sciencey-sounding one, but truly rationalizing this stuff is beyond any human. But whatever fictional science is used needs to be well-written fictional science.

I don't like the Nolan movies. Chris Nolan wouldn't dream of sticking his hand into a working microwave but can't see how silly his microwave weapon was. But we have to "see" microwaves both working and not working at the same moment. And he did stuff like that while confusing drab or confused or merely cynical with realism. Feh.

Well, the early comics clearly established that cosmic rays would give other people super-powers, and their pet apes too. The Red Ghost. Perhaps I'm mistaken, relying on memory, but unlike you I don't think the early comics ever answered the question, despite man's continued march into space.

I don't think it's excessively demanding to expect a new movie adaptation to try to clean this origin up a little.

2. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure that nobody can be born with magnetic or telepathic powers either, but when it comes to fiction, I just let it go.

3. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

A reboot after TWO movies? This must be a new record...

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of Hulk. So, no, not a record. ;)

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, the Punisher was rebooted after one.

6. 47

47 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure you can call it a reboot after only one movie. More like a retry to me... :D

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the original was a misfire, the reboot can't happen too fast. I agree with 47, this is a "retry," as in "if at first you don't succeed..."

Yeah. But I'll hope for the best.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

"Wow that strange energy wave that we know nothing about give us super powers!" - same outcome no mention of cosmic rays.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If one identical twin was born with magnetic or telepathic powers but the other one wasn't, you'd just let it go?

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I disagree. The Thing makeup was the most effective thing about the previous movies. Sure, it didn't match the absurdly oversized version of the character in the comics today, but it looked great, like an Alex Ross painting from Marvels brought to life. I'll grant that performance capture has gotten to the point where it can be reasonably convincing, but there's no reason to use it when a real live human being can still play the part just as well. If they want to make him bigger, they can digitally alter his size in post-production as they did with Chris Evans's torso in Captain America.

Can't disagree there. And cast Sue Storm based on the actress's talent and screen presence, not just how good she looks in her underwear.

20th Century Fox can't wait past a certain length of time, or they'll lose their license back to Marvel. Those are the terms of their contract. Licenses like that are usually a use-it-or-lose-it proposition.

Some people think it would be good if Marvel got the rights to all their characters back, and I used to think that as well, but it's been pointed out that if only one studio had all the Marvel superhero rights, it wouldn't be able to make as many movies per year as could 2-3 studios with the rights split among them. So I'm fine with Fox putting this movie into production so they can keep the rights. I don't see a problem with the short interval. Heck, the previous two movies weren't very good; why should their mere existence prevent the studio from trying to do a better version? In what way is that not "decent?"

As for the source of their powers, I'm surprised that so many commenters here would expect them to use the old cosmic-ray origin. Previous Marvel movies have updated the characters' origins -- Hulk was created by a supersoldier formula (or nanotech in the Ang Lee version), Spidey was created by genetically engineered spiders rather than irradiated ones, etc. The previous FF movies replaced the "cosmic rays" with some sort of exotic space storm. I'm sure the new version will find its own way of updating the technobabble.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

With twins one always get superspeed. The other gets hex powers.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Evans and Chiklis were very good as Torch and Thing.

Unfortunately, everything else about the first two FF movies were terrible. Jessica Alba was completely miscast as Sue. That Nip/Tuck guy as Doom was also awful.

13. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Here's hoping that not only the writing is better but so is the casting. I still can't believe they cast Jessica Alba as Sue. :wtf:

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

A real live human being does play the part in motion capture. At least the type I'm thinking of, i.e. Bill Nighy as Davy Jones in Pirates of the Caribbean.

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Really, I think Chiklis as The Thing was perfectly cast and almost perfectly executed. I've no problem with the "guy in a suit" thing with The Thing but in the movie it didn't look quiet right. The colors in the movie were too bright and too perfect and not natural looking at all so The Thing looked less like a walking hulk of rock and more like partly melted Payday bar.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Fox should cast only Foxs in the reboot.

Matthew Fox as Reed
    Megan Fox as Susan
    Freddie Fox as Johnny
    Vivica A. Fox as Alicia
    and Special Guest Star Michael J. Fox as the voice of The Thing

17. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

What the Fox are you smoking?

18. Dantheman

Dantheman Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

IIRC, the Ultimate version of the Fantastic Four (and Dr. Doom) got their powers from a teleportation accident that had them briefly exposed to another dimension. It's very complicated.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm aware of that, of course. Many human beings are involved, including the performer, the character designer, and the animators. I just resist the kneejerk attitude that CGI is always preferable to conventional effects like miniatures or prosthetics. There are things that CGI is good for and things that prosthetics are good for. I see visual effects as an art form, and I've never seen the logic in thinking that one artistic technique should replace another rather than coexisting with it.

I still say he looked like an Alex Ross painting brought to life, and thus it worked marvelously.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno, different strokes. The colors and lighting were generally wrong in the F4 movies all over the place giving everything to much of a bright, non-realistic, too-colorful look. Yeah, I suppose is meant to go with the tone of the comic and the look of a comic but it didn't translate well on screen for me. The Thing looked too much like a costume and not much like, well, a chunk of rock.