Was Sam Wildman dead in season 6 and 7?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Guy Gardener, Apr 25, 2012.

?

What's up with the Blond?

1. Dead?

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Busy?

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  3. Gone?

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Deadbeat?

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Naomi acted like she was being raised by a single parent called Neelix.

2. Lipton

Lipton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which episodes are you referring to and what did Naomi say in them? Sam was in "Fury", though that was in "the past". I think she had the Joe Carey syndrome. Where a character disappears for years. Though we never see her killed off.

Scarlett Pomers said an the interview that the actors had a joke on the set. It was, "Where's her mom?" So even they didn't know.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was having some kind of breakdown. Naomi learned to stay away during Mommy's bad days.

4. Guy Gardener

Scarlet was in Fury, but they didn't share any scenes.

I can imagine they might have bumped into each other on the set at lunch.

"Are you my mommy?"

"Might be. I thought it was the other girl with those widgets glued to her face."

"What, Marley?"

"Nah, Jeri Ryan."

5. teacake

Will she have a gas mask on?

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I think the writers started to pair her with Seven as a family unit. It might have been interesting to have had Sam incapacitated indefinitely, if not killed, and have had Seven more involved as a mother figure. It would have been a more interesting development than the Borg kids. It would have been a nice transition from Janeway's mother figure to Seven to have Seven discovering aspects of humanity through helping to raise Naomi.

7. david lowbridge

david lowbridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

according to memory alpha

The character does not appear again after the events of "Once Upon a Time" (her appearance in "Fury" is actually set in 2371). However, she is mentioned in various episodes as still being alive and well, and in the non-canonical Pocket VOY novel Homecoming by Christie Golden, Wildman is mentioned as returning to the Alpha Quadrant alongside the rest of Voyager's crew and being reunited with her husband.

8. Lipton

Apparently, Nancy Hower is not known as an actress on IMDb as much as she as known as a writer/producer/director. So apparently, she decided to phase out her acting? She plays a teacher in a short in 2000, then a minor part in Catch and Release in 2006.

I get the idea she didn't want to be an actress much anymore.

9. Guy Gardener

Would you rather be a puppeteer or a puppet?

Although, I tried watching that comedy she produced, I have all three seasons, but I stopped after the pilot, it was a little too like the Office, but not quite as good.

I searched all the scripts for the Terms Wildman + Mother.
    and Wildman.

Mortal Coil s04e12.

Which answers some questions I had about cleaning clothes.

Bliss s05e14.

Dark Frontier s05e15

Survival instinct s06e02

Scientific method s04e07

The Omega Directive. s04e20.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. Lipton

Oh, so she ripped 'em off, eh? That is shameful.

But yeah, I think her not wanting to act as much might have had something to do with her character not appearing towards the end of the series. However, they could have talked about her doing things, teaching Naomi things, etc. without her actually having to be there.

Not doing that makes her character look busy or deadbeat. Those seem to be the poll options ahead right now.

11. Guy Gardener

Ripping them off?

Socially awkward manager of a supermarkets in charge of a ridiculously incompetent staff.

I hardly think that the office invented that dynamic.

it's standard.

Police Academy made almost thousands of dollars from this cookie cutter.

12. teacake

How about she is a busy working mom?

13. Guy Gardener

Acting is a shitty job for 99 percent of the actors in the world.

She's a producer godnabbit.

Acting is a demotion

Actors suck up to producers.

Producers suck up to investors.

Investors have real jobs.

The circle of life, Hollywood-Style.

14. Lipton

Guy Gardener: That "ripping off" statement was a joke. .

Teacake: I said busy or deadbeat. I feel she is a busy working mom and I voted for busy. I was commenting on what other people thought. Some people think she's deadbeat, as there are some votes for that, so the way the show was done apparently made her look deadbeat to some people. I don't think she was deadbeat.

Considering that some people in my house were having a very loud, heated argument over whether or not someone got any popcorn when I was writing that post, I'm glad it made any sense at all. Sorry about that.

15. Guy Gardener

The deadbeat option is valid.

Naomi is not her daughter.

Sam's daughter died, and before she had the chance to process this, Janeway forces a science experiment monster replacement on her, all but ordering the Ensign to love the thing, because the real death of her real daughter is really insignificant.

They're lucky that the baby wasn't flushed out a toilet if Sam hadn't handled the death and substitution of her bundle of joy.

You see how kids cop when they find out that they're adopted.

How is Naomi going to cope finding out that she's not just adopted, but burped out of subspace by a space sphincter.

16. Lipton

I believe some fanfic was written about Naomi's reaction to that. It's an interesting situation.

I think Sam looked at it like this: if Voyager hadn't been duplicated, there would have been only one Naomi Wildman - who would have lived. The power loss, causing Naomi's death, was caused by strange duplication.

Interestingly, the writers called Naomi Wildman and Kim dying a "plot device" to keep them from having to see everyone's reaction to having duplicates of themselves. Bologna. I could care less whether Kim got to meet Kim. The important thing was how to figure out how to solve the warp power problem.

In the end, the problem was solved by Janeway 2 blowing up one of the Voyagers, which I think would have blown up the other Voyager too, but oh well.

17. teacake

I always yell over the top of people "I AM WRITING SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT". Thank god no one has ever had a look.

18. david lowbridge

david lowbridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i say that to my wife all the time...she never listens... its a wonder i ever get my writing done on time...

19. Guy Gardener

I love it on Ally McBeal when Billy struts along surrounded by David Palmer Girls marching in synchronism and he says "It's a look"

Lipton, have you ever considered how redneck it is for same to have two children with the same name?

i mean, what if they both survived?

"This is my daughter Naomi, and this is my other daughter Naomi."

Oh.

The dead one probably died with out being named?

20. Lipton

They both wouldn't have survived. If the original daughter survived, Janeway would have only ordered Kim to go to the other ship. The duplicate daughter would have been blown up. Besides, I like rednecks.

Makes me wonder how Wildman 2 felt when they took her baby away from her and were counting down the self destruct, though.

You're lucky. When I do that, everyone looks over my shoulder and gets nosy.