Phantasm 5. Any news?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by voggmo, May 20, 2009.

1. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

This is from 2007. The Phantasm 3 dvd is pretty good by the way.

The other two are first-time DVD releases in PHANTASM 3

PHANTASM 3 is unrated and corrects the shot for the ball drilling into the head sequence. I had gone rounds with the MPAA in regard to this sequence and they weren’t allowing blood on screen at the time of the film being made. So, I had to make a legal presentation in front of their board and I lost to the MPAA because you need two-thirds majority and I couldn’t get that to overturn that segment of the film.

OK, what about a PHANTASM 5 then?

COSCARELLI: Well, I’ve already got a completed script right here and would really love to work with the original cast one more time. Anchor Bay is starting to finance movies and they are eager to get us to make another film, but it is a function to find the time. Right now my full-time job is working on the sequel to BUBBA HO-TEP.

[COLOR=#000000]iFMagazine.com: Exclusive Interview: 'PHANTASM' DIRECTOR DON COSCARELLI HAS A BALL WITH THE DVD RE-RELEASES OF HIS FILMS[/COLOR]

2. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

3. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Then there's news like this...

[FONT=Helvetica]Campbell To Play Phantasm 2012? [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif][SIZE=2]Bruce Campbell vs. The Tall Man? Campbell (Jack of All Trades) is rumored to be in the running to take the lead role in Phantasm 2012 A.D., the proposed latest installment in the long-running horror franchise, according to the Ain't It Cool News Web site. AICN attributed the news to comments by writer and producer Don Coscarelli at a fan convention in Texas. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Sans Serif][SIZE=2]Coscarelli reportedly said that filmmakers had a commitment from Campbell to play a new character in the series and that they needed $5 million in financing to start the project. Phantasm 2012 would be the fifth movie based on the 1979 cult horror hit Phantasm. [/SIZE][/FONT]

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2000-04/03/11.38.rumors

4. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Nov 2008.

THE DEADBOLT: I spoke to Don Coscarelli last year and your name came up a lot. Basically, he said he’d put you in every one of his movies if he could. So, what’s the latest on Phantasm V?
    BANNISTER: [laughs] See, Don thinks of me as his good luck charm. And he was really kind of pissed because he didn’t put me in Beastmaster, for example, because that wasn’t a happy experience for him and he just kind of sold out of that and moved on. But Phantasm V, when you’re dealing with a picture like this there’s something sort of mystical about it. It has a tendency to garner favor from people that really can’t get enough of it and they just can’t wait for the next one to come out.
    But if you look at the history of Phantasm, there were ten years in between the first one and the second one. We did the second and third with universal, so that was a back-to-back deal. Then the next one wasn’t until 1993. It’s an open ended story because it’s life, and it’s the lives of these certain characters that keeps unfolding. You don’t know where they’re going to end up, they don’t know where they’re going to end up, you don’t know where the story is going. And so paradigms like that have a tendency to spawn rumors and hopes. Even if you go on IMDB right now it says that we’re working on a feature as we speak and we tried every way possible.
    I mean, I think we all tried. Don tried and I know that we tried to get that rumor quashed because we’re not. I mean, we’d like to be - That would be fun to be working on a feature right now but we’re not working on a feature. So that’s where that’s at. And that’s not to say that that won’t happen, or that won’t happen sooner than later, because I personally think it’s just a matter of time before this movie gets another shot. At least with the characters as they are. I think it’s possible they could make Phantasm films after I’ve croaked and probably after Don has croaked as well. But because the paradigm is so fascinating and truly wonderful, it’s a story of - there’s a lot of love in it. There’s brotherhood, family feeling, and - I don’t know, it’s just a good story.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105248/reggiebannister_interview.php

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  5. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

So...it's never coming out?

6. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Well, starting to look that way. I check in avery 8 months or so to see of any news about it is about.

7. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Coscarelli was on Hollywood blvd last nite, missed it, but.... there is this to look forward to in Seattle June 5,6 & 7.

We will also be having a Phantasm reunion panel with Billy Thornbury, Kathy Lester, Reggie “Regman” Bannister, and director Don Coscarelli, all attending to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the little film that could (and did!)

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0181741/news

8. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Coscarelli was on Hollywood blvd last nite, missed it, but.... there is this to look forward to in Seattle June 5,6 & 7.

We will also be having a Phantasm reunion panel with Billy Thornbury, Kathy Lester, Reggie “Regman” Bannister, and director Don Coscarelli, all attending to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the little film that could (and did!)

Heavens, thats 2 posts in a row! Lookout, incoming!

9. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Heavens, thats 2 posts in a row! Lookout, incoming! 3rd one unintentional.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Bruce Campebell in Phantasm V rumors have been around forever. I went to one of Bruce Campbell's book signings for If Chins Could Kill (2002?) and people were asking him about it.

Of course, someone in that same crowd said he hated Manic Cop 1, 2 and 3, yet still watched them over and over again, and even though Campbell's character died in 2, he asked if there would be a Maniac Cop 4 with him in it. :brickwall:

11. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

There were a total of 5 different sequels bandied about. Starting with 2nd movie on up to possible part 5 ones, Phantasm 1999 was gonna be a big budget deal.. One of the part 2 sequels was gonna star Kristy McNichol if you can believe thatl. I just read a magazine similiar to Fangoria that has a load of Phantasm articles, tibits etc. Forget title. Will head back to Barnes & Nobles manana.

12. Morfius

Morfius Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I didn't even know about Phantasm 2-4! Are the Jawas in them?

13. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I think that it's dead. The rumors pop every now and then, but I don't think he can get the funding for it. There was some scene that was shoot showing Mike and the Tall Man for some special event. But is probably as far as it will get. I think we'll see Evil Dead IV before this.

Shame really, I want to see Reg again.

14. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Phantasm 5 would be okay...

But what about this sequel to Bubba-Ho-Tep?

That's news. (Of a sort)

16. voggmo

voggmo Commodore

Brad Pitt auditioned for the part of Jody in part 2.

17. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Speaking of which, the second movie is finally getting its DVD release.