Project: Potemkin, a Star Trek Fan Film

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jan 11, 2010.

1. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Sounds like a busy weekend. Hope you'll find the time to take a break in-between.

Thanks again for the email. The pics should in your inbox by now.
    I didn't bother with realism but I'm sure you'll get the idea.

2. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Perfect, thanks! Those diagrams are absolutely essential in figuring out layout. Once we got your bridge illos those several weeks ago, you'll notice that production kicked up into overdrive. They were very important in helping us conceptualize what we're doing. And while the end product doesn't exactly match, the inspiration is there.

Yes, I took a break Friday night and watched three off-beat movies (She Creature, Suspiria and Zerophilia) before calling it a night. All three were rather odd; She Creature had the edge on all three.

Saturday, though, has been productive. Finished the carpeting completely. Looked at air conditioners at Lowes (bought a fan for tonight's work), bought some metal brackets that will help me hold the railing together, and chatted with Thomas Sasser. We're beginning to get the detail decals going up. Going to get some doodads from Thomas that will help make the vignette pretty solid.

I really should update the site with some new pics now that the bridge is almost done, but I want to keep putting coats of paint on those railings. :) Maybe tomorrow...

3. Potemkin_Prod

Well, I guess it's tomorrow. Have updated our website with the following:

BUILDING THE BRIDGE 11 -- Three photos of the nearly completed bridge.

Thomas Sasser's decals are beginning to come in to be printed. Only have the turbolift applied so far, but we're working on it.

Bill Walker has provided a screen grab of his forthcoming SPFX work for the vignette. Looks very promising.

Updated the cast and crew listings, including the character biographies several folks were asking for.

Hope to have the railing in place by 6pm Sunday evening. That'll keep me busy all day.

4. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Where are you going to build the ready room set? Are you planning any others, like hallway or transporter? Are you planning on filming some green screen? or is all the action only going to take place on the bridge or ready room?

5. Potemkin_Prod

In our test vignette filming this coming Friday, all the action takes place on the bridge. It's only a four minute film; the idea is to see how our set, lighting, cameras, sound, etc work, as well as give everyone a chance to get the chuckles out of them.

I'm hoping to film the first episode in early August before high school football season starts.

As far as the sets go, we built, filmed and struck our Klingon bridge set (not much to it, even though it took days to build). We've got a two-dimensional background made of printed vinyl in mind for the turbolift set that will be set up behind the "working" turbolift doors.

We plan on constructing a small ready room for the first episode. The location is my office at Fast Copy, mainly because it's so oddly shaped, readily convenient, and free of rent. :) The only real change will be the modification of an outside wall to have a window to space and the hanging of pocket doors and a wall across one end of the space. Lennier1 has been very helpful in this design, and construction shouldn't take very long. Like the bridge, the readyroom set will be kept in standing condition.

Eventually, I intend to build a corridor set. One of our special effects guys (who appears as our chief engineer in our series) is talking about creating a couple of engineering consoles and using a green screen in the background for our engine room. So far, we don't have any scripts either in the works or received to date with a Sickbay, so that's not a priority. And nothing in those scripts and stories indicate we need to construct a transporter room set either.

But who knows? Might have a sudden need, and then we'll see...

6. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Can't seem to find a new page today. The 7/17 link points to 7/7...

7. lennier1

True, but simply changing the link from the previous entry by replacing the "a" at the end results in a working URL: http://www.projectpotemkin.com/building_the_bridge_b.htm

8. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

well you know for other sets you can possibly redress the main bridge, i mean just move one of the forward stations to the rear where the turbo lift is, replace the helm / nav console with tng like ones and you have a bridge similar to a constellation class or ambassador class

or you could take the main view screen out put a small jutting corridor with that ends with a door, get a pool table, and replace the captains chair / consoles with a warp core, and then you have engineering. whipped a quick image for your consideration...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. Potemkin_Prod

My bad. It should be working now.

Quite so. Thanks!

Intriguing. Not sure I would remove the viewscreen, but certainly can remove the others stuff and relocate. Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely keep that in mind.

The past three days, I've worked on the bridge railing, and this evening, I realized it's not going to work. Got to rethink that problem altogether...

10. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

yeah depending on how the bridge is in relationship to the room you are using as your studio, moving things might work better for redresses, i know the studio you guys are using is just big enough for the bridge...

11. Potemkin_Prod

Barely that, actually. The security and tactical station are four inches from being outside the carport. ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  12. Potemkin_Prod

Well, this evening, I solved the problem with the railing. It was just too wobbly, and we ended up putting some hardware from Lowes where the pieces of wood met each other. We're going to go with a fabric covering (as opposed to painting the rail), but that's the last thing we have to do other than put up the appliques.

Sent out our Friday evening shoot call sheets and schedule. I'm hoping that we'll have the filming finished in less than a couple of hours. We're going to play around with both NTSC and 720p. Hope to take some production stills, publicity photos, and do some footage for the opening credits montage, too.

Bill Walker sent one of his SPFX shots today, and it looked outstanding. Hopefully we can share that with folks soon...

13. Potemkin_Prod

[​IMG]

Shot from the "backdoor" (rear alcove).

[​IMG]

Shot from the Tactical Station.

[​IMG]

Shot from Port Turbolift alcove.

As you can see, we just need to cover the railings with the same burgundy fabric we used on the captain's chair and put on the appliques on the stations.

We should just make it in time...

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Holy crap, Potemkin! Your bridge looks phenomenal! Congratulations!

Very much looking forward to more pics and updates as they are available. ROCK ON!

15. lennier1

Looks really great so far!
    Just two questions:
    1. Is that railing sturdy enough so actors can lean on it? The old story of giving them something to interact with.
    2. Are you still planning to add glued-on access panels to break up a few wall areas and add button graphics to the empty areas near the captain's hands?

Looking forward to your impressions of the upcoming christening of the set. If there's anything I can do to help just drop me a line. ;)

16. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Just a suggestion... Due to the reduced nature of the bridge, you might want to consider locating chairs at Helm and Nav that have a smaller profile to them. When you start packing actors into that set, I think that larger set pieces are going to crowd things a bit. Overall, I think your hard work has really paid off.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a remarkable amount of work for a small production to accomplish in such a short time. Looks good. Congratulations.

18. Potemkin_Prod

Thank you. These pics haven't even been posted to our updates page yet. Special sneak preview here.

Yes. On Sunday evening, I was dismayed because it totally was wobbly and weak. The reinforcement things (visible on the railing) changed things completely. It's a lot more stable and study.

In fact, you can lean on it, but it's not designed to lean against, so to speak. With such a small bridge, we can move both the helm/nav and both railing to allow for camera angles.

I think we're going with pressure-sensitive labels. The buttons are okay, and we can use them in a pinch, but they just sort of clash with the touch panels everywhere else on the bridge.

Thanks! Will do!

Thanks very much! We're intentionally using actors of slight or medium build for the same reason. The chairs we're going to use around the bridge stations are in fact a little smaller, too.

Thank you! We appreciate the kind words!

19. Potemkin_Prod

Here's the two stations I completed tonight. Four more stations to go... Still want to replace the black tape with white along the ventilation system. May go to full green screen instead of using an applique there. Got to move the clock on the port rail, broom next to the viewscreen, doodad on the starboard rail. Vacuum.

But we're getting there!

[​IMG]

20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Again I have to say Potemkin, your bridge looks FANTASTIC. Keep up the great work!

Also, I was concerned at first when you mentioned the fabric-covered railings, but now that I see them I quite like the look.

All in all, your ship is coming along quite nicely!