Windows XP Gaming Problems with Solutions

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by The DOS Machine, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

Re: Windows XP Problems WITH Solutions

I had this problem initially.

open the .conf file in notepad.

find this line and change it to this number:

sensitivity=450

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That won't work because I'm not going through DOSBox to run the game. I'll try that instead and see if it works any better.

edit - I've finally got it working under DosBox, with the mouse at normal speed. Frankly, I think this is working better than it ever did under DOS on our first Windows 95 machine!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  3. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

yeah I know what you mean.

Judgement Rites had an annoying popping sound when the characters spoke on my old Dos pc. Not so on Dosbox

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I recently got A Final Unity, and I just wanted to say that this method works perfectly for me. The game runs perfectly, with the sole exception of the random game crash. Still, that's pretty good considering it's a pre-Windows game running on an XP machine. :techman:

5. jha5as

jha5as Cadet Newbie

Hey guys, quick question. I've rediscovered my love of Star Trek Armada again recently. It works fine on my old XP laptopn aside from the fact that I can't get past the fourth mission on the Federation campaign. Which kinda sucks since I can't play any other missions now obviously... :P The game will allow me to play and complete the mission but as soon as its over and should go to the cutscene it crashes back to the main menu.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem? Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks a lot!

6. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

My comp randomly resets during WoW. Any suggestions? (im on XP)

7. driftwooddrwho

driftwooddrwho Cadet Newbie

Hi all,
    I recently found Star Trek Generations game and i can't get it to play. It will install but when i launch the game, a message saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close. Any help would be gratefully received, thanks :)

8. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently tried to play "Generations" in XP, but as always, this is the case.

The problem is with "C++" and a bit of coding which is non-standard, it seems. I can't quite identify the code, and frankly, the game wasn't THAT good.

So, I tried something else, and it's worked passably well. I installed Microsoft VirtualPC (there are other emulation programs out there you can use which might be better, or worse, but this is the one I have to work with right now). I installed Windows 98SE into that virtual machine.

Now, I mainly set up this VM for the various Simon & Schuster items which are based upon older versions of Quicktime and cannot run in conjunction with newer versions of Quicktime. So, in this VM I can run the "Star Trek - The Next Generation Interactive Technical Manual" just fine, and the "Captain's Chair," and the Encyclopedia (all three versions, the first Omnipedia, the Omnipedia Update, and the Encyclopedia with episode guides). Oh, yes, and also "Starship Creator" (Again, three versions, all installed in this VM).

I also have some non-trek items installed there... basically, anything that is not hardware-accelerated graphics, and which won't run in WinXP but would run in Win9x, I run in this VM.

Well, I tried Generations. It works perfectly fine in the VM, with one exception. It doesn't like my keyboard. (I have a logitech G110 "gaming keyboard, with a few extra features.) MOST of it works, but for some reason, I cannot TURN... which, as you can guess, makes the game rather unplayable! But if I plug in a basic (PS2-based) keyboard this isn't an issue, so that's what I did. (And yes, my current motherboard has a single PS2 port which can be used for either keyboard or mouse, if desired, though I use neither most of the time.)

SO... that's my recommendation. Install your old OS (assuming you still have it), either Win95, Win95OEMSR2 (which is much superior to the first release, but was never available in stores, only to OEMs, strangely), Win98, or best of all, Win98SE. Find the final version of Quicktime 2 (in both the 16-bit and 32-bit flavors) and install both. Do not let it "check for old versions) either time. Then install your various Simon & Schuster items (decline to install Quicktime each time). And install Generations.

Generations will install DirectX 3.0 as part of the installation. You'll want to re-install the later version of DirectX 8 (the final version which supports Windows 9x) to make sure that everything is OK.

Now, realize that you won't be able to run ANY "hardware-accelerated" programs in this virtual machine. BUT... Generations did not use hardware-accelerated graphics, nor hardware-accelerated sound, so this is a non-issue.

Generations was a... "challenging" game to enjoy. Bits of it were really quite fun, and it WAS the first actual "Star Trek First Person Shooter." But the user interface is pretty horrible, some level design is overly frustrating, there are bugs which cause you to get stuck (literally... as in "my character can't move") in a number of locations, and so forth.

The GOOD of "Generations" is being able to go in and, if you play well, get a whole series of new outcomes. Including, for example, SAVING THE ENTERPRISE D, keeping Kirk alive, or having Kirk fighting on board the Enterprise's secondary hull post-separation.

The graphics are, by modern standards, "terrible," but they're pretty much what was common at the time... along the lines of what you'd get in low-resolution rendering in Doom or Duke Nukem 3D. And there are lots of voice-overs from the various Trek actors (including "your own voice" since you're playing as Riker, or Data, or Troi, or LaForge, or Picard, or Kirk, or Dr. Crusher, throughout the game), which is sort of fun.

It was nice to actually get it working again, even if the only way to do so was with a "Virtual PC" setup.

9. Re: Windows XP Problems WITH Solutions

i found a video that i would love to start my computer up with. i know how to change the themes but i cant remember at the moment what i need to do to do it. what format do i need to make the video in order to make a video startup when the computer starts or when the windows xp them appears? as you have guessed im using windows xp. thank you. RSw

10. rachel12

rachel12 Guest

Simple solution use antivirus...

11. 22123magic

22123magic Cadet Newbie

I am native to the StarTrek.com boards, and I was hoping somebody here would have an idea on this.

I used to have Starship creator Warp II installed on a virtual machine with the exact same conditions mentioned above, but my old computer it was on crashed. Anyway, I have a new Windows 8 x64 bit lightning fast computer now, so 32-bit Virtual PC 2007 will no longer install on it.

I have tried creating Win98 SE virtual machines in VirtualBox, but the OS is very buggy, and in VMware the OS installs fine, but the game itself comes up with an error message about monitor depth.

So, does anybody know how to install Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 on a 64-bit OS?