Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey its Teen Spider!

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I had no idea Sally Field was in this.

3. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep she's Aunt Mae.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yes, I see that. Seems a weird bit of casting. I'm used to her playing overly dramatic women that go batshit crazy.

5. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why does this look like a virtual remake of the first movie?

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Because it's about an awkward teenaged American white boy who lives with his aunt and uncle and one day gets superpowers, thus turning everything in his life upside down?

7. Agenda

Yeah, but I thought they were going to jump into the mythos instead of spending so much time (yet again) on the origin. But it doesn't appear that they're doing that.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because much of it is.

That's goddamn perfect! :lol:

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

At least she looks a bit more age-appropriate for the role. I never quite understood why Aunt May always looked more like an 80-year old grandmother in the comics.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Back then, the way comics were printed and colored meant that unless Ditko put a ton of wrinkles on May's face she wouldn't have looked very old aside from the white hair. Unfortunately, later artists (when the comic art process was more refined) took this to mean that she was practically a walking cadaver.

Really, May and Ben shouldn't have been much older than their mid to late 40s when Peter was a teen. The Ultimate comics did this and de-aged both of them accordingly.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I love Ultimate Aunt May. @Beyond Antares there several reports when this film first was announced and "Spider-Man 4" fell apart that this film would take place with Peter in college and already established as Spider-Man. It would be more angst based (which immediately turned a lot of fans away from it including myself) but over the last year or so as production started it appears that this will indeed be an origin film.

12. Agenda

I'm not saying I'm a big fan of how they did it in the Raimi movies, but every fan knows that the character of Spider-Man/Peter Parker is the personification of superhero angst.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah. He does have his share of tragedy though in his life. He's happy go lucky and everything but Peter himself would probably admit that he uses his humor as a partial defense mechanism. I know what you're saying though. I'm much more open to this film than I was when it was first announced. The casting and director are my main reasons why. Footage or a trailer will go a long way of finally convincing me.

14. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Get your eyes checked immediately.

15. Admiral_Young

"The Amazing Spider-Man" teaser trailer has hit the web. As I expected it will debut during comic con in a couple of days. I'm not gonna post it here because most likely it will already be taken down by Marvel by the time I find it again...but I thought it was pretty awesome, in fact it gave me goosebumps.

16. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Agreed.:bolian:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The trailer was pretty impressive but I was surprised how much ground from the first movie seemed to be re-trodden. Admittedly, it could be done in flashback and might take up a small portion of the movie.

But, the new take on his POV while swinging aside, it seemed very like Raimi's first movie - more alike than say, Batman Begins and Tim Burton's first movie. Obviously, they're about the same character, so you expect a certain resemblance but I was expecting more of a contrast.

Of course, it's only a teaser trailer, so I'm not placing too much on this initial reaction.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

In a lot of ways Ultimate Spider-Man has been closer in tone - certainly not in execution - to the original 1960s comics than a lot of the other Ultimates have been to their prototypes. To a great extent I think that's because the premise and core of the character just doesn't date as easily as some. The jumping-off point for Nolan reinterpreting Batman in his movies is that Bats has been subject to a lot of varying and in some cases radical reinterpretations in the comics over the years - come on, his lineage embraces both Adam West and Frank Miller. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, Spidey has been portrayed a little more consistently over the years than Bats has. But I could also have used, say, the difference between the Ang Lee and Louis Leterrier Hulks or the Pierce Brosnan 007s versus the Daniel Craig ones as my comparators.

I'm not really complaining, as an old-time Spider-man reader, I liked how Raimi seemed to get the vibe of the original comics and I'd be happy for Webb to recreate it too.