How do they see out the bridge window anyway?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Wormhole, May 26, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise's bridge is brightly lit. Extremely brightly lit, as all those lens flares prove. And instead of a viewscreen, they rely on a huge window at the front of the bridge to see out of the ship. But space is dark. How is it they can see anything out the window? Wouldn't all those damn lights just give the window reflective glares, therefore obscuring anything outside and preventing anyone on the bridge seeing it. Now yes, they have sensors and scanners to alert them to anything worth knowing about anyway, but still.

Thoughts?

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Super futuristic glass.

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they really want to see something that's out, they tell Spock to turn off the lights for a bit. There's a master off switch at his station.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You could ask the same thing about all the windows in crew quarters and observation lounges and whatnot that we've seen in various starships from ST:TMP onward, or in places like Mr. Lurry's office in TOS -- windows through which you could always see the stars even when the interior was brightly lit, even though everyone who's ever looked out a window at night should know it doesn't work that way. So this is hardly a new problem; it's nearly as old as Star Trek itself (and is shared by most other space-based SF franchises as well).

I tend to assume the windows are of a sophisticated material that damps reflections from within and amplifies the starlight from outside.

5. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Correct, BillJ. It has an 'Enhance Outside View' feature. Forward looking cameras scan the view then project items in the field onto the screen in the correct location.

It's technically a transparent view-screen.

I'm full of crap, it's something I just Treknobabbled up.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

You could be a writer. :eek:

7. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

It's transwarp glass. Lights are blueshifted to warp 10 and then the hue is altered.

8. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Star Trek is not the only series guilty of this. Houses/apartment/offices all over TV and the movies have perfectly transparent windows at night, even when the room is brightly lit.

9. seven14

seven14 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

In the 2009 reboot the USS Kelvin had it right I think. I liked the muted colors and the dimness of the lights they had going on even before the alarms went off. Strangely, I didn't mind the Enterprise in 2009 as it was shiny and new but this movie the lights seemed to be 1000watt or something even Kirk's eyes were like megawatt blue. I don't know how the heck they see out the window really...I don't think it's necessary as they use cameras and sensors for alerts...just nice to look at and a chore to clean.

10. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Warp headlights. They don't have to worry about keeping the dope/dome light on with those.

11. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably the same way they do it on real world space ships.

That or polarized glass to eliminate glare.

12. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Maybe it has something to do with transparent aluminum.

13. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That, and they reverse the polarity of the neutron flow to create a quantum-subspace-flexing-matrix that dynamically calibrates to the spectral radiance around the view screen.

Did it hurt?

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

To me, I thought it was more of a holographic projection atop the glass, which mutes its reflection even under direct light. Same thing for the various control panels and monitors.

15. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

Naturally.